Profile for M. R. Hallsworth > Reviews

Content by M. R. Hallsworth

M. R. Hallsworth (Nottingham, England)

Backwoods Barbie
Backwoods Barbie

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, but not that great., 18 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Backwoods Barbie (Audio CD)
For the die-hard Dolly fans i'm sure this is a 5/5 all the way but for me, a 28 year old casual Dolly fan its not quite perfect.

The stand out tracks for me are definately the title-track Backwoods Barbie, Tracks of my Tears and I Will Forever hate Roses, which is classic Dolly Parton!

The rest are very good with the exception of two.

Jesus & Gravity is cringeworthy and I can't even listen to it all the way through and i'm surprised it made the album. Only Dreamin' is a very folksy song but very bland and again, i'm sure a lady of Dolly's talents has alot better than this.

The Lonesomes is a great little blues number and Cologne is another of the heart-string pulling songs which she does so well.

Overall, while there's no songs to challenge "Tennessee Mountain Home" its a great album but the two poor ones took the shine off it for me.

Dolly still has an outstandingly beautiful voice and anyone who doesn't like this album doesn't like music!

Lie To Me
Lie To Me

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Albums EVER!, 3 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Lie To Me (Audio CD)
All I continually found myself saying when I think of this album is WOW!!

WOW to the songs, WOW to the vocals, WOW to the guitar playing.

Lie to Me kicks the album off in fine style but the jewels in this crown are When I come to You and There's Gotta be a Change.

When I come to you is a fantastic ballad which grabs its fist around your heart and rips it from your chest, while There's Gotta Be a Change is one of the finest blues songs you are ever likely to hear!

Anyone who even remotely likes blues music should not hesitate in buying this great album!