Profile for bookmaggot > Reviews

Content by bookmaggot

bookmaggot

Patrick Moore: The Autobiography
Patrick Moore: The Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful British eccentric. A very rare and inspiring role model, 16 Jan. 2015
Must confess I'm not really qualified to write a review of the whole book having only read the first few pages so far. But what magnificent, hilarious pages! Patrick Moore's unique character comes across right from the outset. If the rest of the book continues in this manner I'm looking forward to it enormously. I grew up watching Patrick Moore on TV. And, although I didn't watch the Sky At Night nearly as often as I should have I credit him with the interest I have in Astronomy to this day. I'm finding it difficult to write about Patrick Moore in the past tense. He had such a profound effect on British (and probably world) culture that it feels very much as though he's still with us. Please buy the book and confound the authors' prediction that it will only sell 14 copies, given that he wasn't a pop star or footballer. No he wasn't, he was far more interesting than either.

The Takeaway Secret: How to cook your favourite fast-food at home
The Takeaway Secret: How to cook your favourite fast-food at home
by Kenny McGovern

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the TV chefs books to shame, 11 Sept. 2014
What a fantastic idea! I've chucked out all those seductive glossy TV chef recipe books with their exotic ingredients lists designed to boost supermarket bottom lines. This book is simple and effective. No glossy piccies or celeb endorsements - just simple, tasty recipes that are so easy to make. This is perfect for anyone (like me) whose kids would love to live exclusively on fast food, given the chance. With this book you can cook their favourite takeaway food using high quality ingredients. Result! Worth the price for the ice cream recipe alone in my view. My kids have been SO impressed with that one plus the tortilla wraps and the chinese style spare ribs. They genuinely didn't believe I hadn't bought the food in ready made! So, next up are pizza, kebabs, meatball sub...the list goes on, we've only scratched the surface so far.

Conversations With God: Book One
Conversations With God: Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all god but not all bad either..., 11 Aug. 2014
Having read the book and a fair selection of the good and bad reviews I just wanted to add my perspective. Firstly, I think of the 'god' in the book not as the real deal but more as a mechanism to get the concepts across. I take what others have said that it seems a mish-mash of other peoples ideas and cherry picking from various religious faiths. Similar criticisms to those leveled at The Secret and Eckhart Tolle's books. If that is true it still seems a good succinct summary of those ideas. Perhaps it's true that they are simply a way to engage an audience enough to make the authors a pile of cash. That said I found some aspects of this book very helpful. Indeed, a few even gave me aha! moments. Sadly we live in a commoditized world and I think we need to exercise due diligence and treat the claims of this type of book with a healthy dose of skeptcism. So in a sense I read it expecting to be able to use what I feel works for me and ditch what doesn't. As 'god' says in the book "a bit like life". The clues are peppered liberally throughout the text. Many negative reviews of this and similar books read as though the reviewer is hoping for a quick fix to life. I'm sorry but I think that's naive and perhaps even a little lazy. In summary, if you're prepared to sift the book for what's useful it's not at all bad. But not all god either (see what I did there). The quest continues...

Tapping The Healer Within: Use thought field therapy to conquer your fears, anxieties and emotional distress
by Roger Callahan

5.0 out of 5 stars I tried it and it worked for me, 1 May 2014
I used the trauma algorithm as outlined in the book and it worked almost instantly. This seems too simple a process to believe in. I think it's human nature to over complicate emotional issues and we can find it hard to give credence to something so easy to use. My view is that as we should always try the simplest, least damaging (and cheapest) therapies before moving on to more expensive and time consuming ones. For the price of a book (that's a couple of lattes) it's definitely worth a try.

James May's Man Lab: The Book of Usefulness
James May's Man Lab: The Book of Usefulness
by James May

5.0 out of 5 stars Shook me out of my 'new man' stupor, 9 April 2014
In true manlab style I thumbed through this august tome whilst toasting my feet at the fire in my local with a foaming pint of best at my elbow. My regular chortles and occasional guffaw (top word that) drew disapproving glares from the nearby cribbage team embroiled in what was clearly a grudge match. The best way to describe the effect of the book on my wishy washy new man thinking was that of being in receipt of a damned good, straight down the line, talking to from a worldly wise uncle. The next day, duly inspired, I strode manfully down to the foot of my garden and 'sorted out' the huge trampoline that had been slowly falling apart for years. And, yes James, I WAS wearing overalls - in a rather dapper shade of claret. BUT, the trampoline did not, as I had intended, go to the local dump, oh no sir! Together with parts of a redundant barbie, I re-purposed the steel frame to create a seating area for a fire pit to enable NO.1 son and buddies to sit and do that essential teen male bonding thing, which will perchance lead to a new generation of manlab devotees. Nothing quite so manly as messing about with fire...Bless you Mr May for shaking me out of my wimp-like torpor!

Rocket Fuel on a Budget
Rocket Fuel on a Budget
by Joanna Rushton

4.0 out of 5 stars 4* only as Kindle version is not proofread!, 28 Aug. 2013
Im reviewing based on the Kindle version. The content is fantastic but the Kindle version seems to be a rush job. References given in the text for further study are misspelt. For example David Geoffs food pyramid should read David Getoffs food pyramid. May seem niggly but the information should be checked as it could lead to confusion. And, horror of horrors, bad reviews!

Count Your Blessings
Count Your Blessings
by Dr John F. Demartini

4.0 out of 5 stars Life really is full of unexpected lessons!, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Count Your Blessings (Paperback)
This book seems to strike a good balance between advice, real life examples and workshop exercises. I must admit to finding it hard to put on paper 10 examples of pros & cons for a given situation in my life. But maybe that's the point, it makes you dig deep and examine how you got to where you are in your life. I found the 'running into what you are running away from' chapter very pertinent to my life in particular. What I really like is the way the author manages to hint that I might be my own worst enemy without shouting it in my face. But then he does offer a way to fix this. Almost encouraging the reader to draw the right conclusions without being too obvious about it. Pros: easy read with exercises that draw the reader into engaging with the content of the material. Cons: the author's 'breakthrough experience' course is plugged consistently throughout.