Profile for Katrina-UK > Reviews

Content by Katrina-UK

Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Broons Family Album: A Braw Collection O' The Broons' Favourite Tunes
The Broons Family Album: A Braw Collection O' The Broons' Favourite Tunes
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy For All Your Scottish Relatives & Friends!, 9 May 2011
Firstly I've got to say, what a bargain price and quick delivery! Well done Amazon! You get five CD's with an assortment of music. CD 1 Rock n Roll, CD 2 Hogmanay Party, CD 3 - Film Soundtracks, CD 4 TV Soundtracks, CD 5 Traditional Scottish Songs. It really is a great selection of music, and at such a bargain price, I've ended up buying a few of them to give to relatives as presents.

Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Offered by Tracymuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Better Than 'Just Dance' - Equally as Enjoyable, 19 April 2011
This fitness game covers all levels from Beginner to Expert, and it does help if you have done dance classes before (not necessarily Zumba, but any style of dance). However if you are not used to exercising and perhaps have never danced before I would probably recommend Wii Fit Plus with the balance board, rather than Zumba Fitness because you may find the Zumba moves even at the beginners level too challenging. I know this because I have previous tap/modern/ballet dance experience and I picked it up incredibly easily. However my mum who has never danced before and doesn't do any exercise (besides housework and walking the dog!), found it too difficult and just gave up. She said she was really disappointed she couldn't do it, but she just didn't enjoy it because she found it too difficult. However she does enjoy listening to the music when I am exercising! The Zumba music is great!

This actually works better than the Wii game 'Just Dance'. It is more accurate. If you've got Just Dance you will know what I mean. You could be doing the move exactly right and it says you are only doing it 'ok' rather than 'great', and it is based on points so obviously the more 'great's' you get, the more points you get, and if it's not accurate you are not getting an accurate score. With Zumba Fitness, the instructor's comments are more appropriate and accurate. He or She says 'Keep going' if you're slacking, or 'great! You've got it!', which encourages you to work even harder and burn more calories! At the end of the Zumba Party or Zumba Class it will give you an overall score. I don't really find having a score relevant for just one player, but if you've got two or more players, you may want to compete against each other.

What baffles me about Zumba (and 'Just Dance' for that matter) is why they have made the dance instructors almost psychedelic to look at. Couldn't they have just used normal looking instructors like on the Wii Fit, or even better, a real person? Maybe that is something we have to look forward to on the Wii 2 console with better graphics due out next year.

You are provided with a Zumba belt where you slot the Wii mote in the front. It often slips up whilst you are exercising which is a minor glitch but it doesn't really bother me that much. I just pull it back down and tighten it a bit more so it won't slip.

All in all, it covers a variety of dance styles, however my favourite part has to be the 'Cool Down' Belly Dance for obvious reasons! By the end of the workout I am completely out of breath, and am really sweating so I welcome the 'cool down' at the end, plus the music is great!

Titanic Mystery (Wii)
Titanic Mystery (Wii)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Point and Click Game, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Titanic Mystery (Wii) (Video Game)
Looking at the front cover, you'd think this would be a really interesting adventure game based around the Titanic. I've got to say I'm really disappointed. This game is not an inch on Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars for the Wii, which was an excellent point and click adventure game. I am an adult, and found Titanic Mystery to be more aimed at school-age kids really. It is educational, giving you historical facts about the Titanic, however the game-play is not varied and pretty much the same throughout. A terrorist has planted a bomb on board. Instead of finding the bomb and the terrorist (which you think would be the aim of the game and perhaps interviewing suspects along the way), you are given pointless, irrelevant point and click exercises to complete.

Let me explain! You have different rooms to explore on the different decks on the ship, but your character is not on the actual screen, it's just a cursor. You have a list of objects to find such as 10 shells (pointless?!) which are hidden somewhere in the room. Then when you've found all the shells, it will give you numerous objects to look for (e.g. sunglasses). I didn't even bother reading the object names I had to find, I just clicked on everything until it made the sound that I'd found the object, eager to see what was next (not much). Whilst you're finding the objects you may click on hidden pieces of a diary. Once you've found all the pieces, you just click and drag it onto the part of the screen that is flashing and then it takes you to a puzzle (which is irrelevant again to the overall story of the terrorist and the bomb). You will use your mathematical and observational skills to solve these. If you hate maths/logic puzzles like me, some may prove to me more difficult than others. After you have solved the puzzle, the story continues with another piece of the diary being read (all the finding objects/solving puzzles exercises that you have just completed have been irrelevant to the story), and a member of the on-board crew gives you another letter that has been left for you anonymously (by the terrorist), giving you clues to his identity.

Overall, very disappointing.

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL DONE, 13 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
Superb acting throughout by all the cast. Although Colin is tipped for an Oscar, I do hope one or two of the other actors get oscars also...

Great soundtrack - goes well with each scene.

Captures the emotions perfectly. You feel the frustration/anxiety that Albert (later to become King George VI) goes through in his day to day life with his stammer - one second you have tears in your eyes, next second you're laughing out loud.

When the film finishes, you will most likely be asking questions about some part or aspect of the film. My question is 'If the Royal Family are supposed to be role models to the nation (and demand respect), and they have fixed rules and regulations in place, should Prince Charles ever get to be King - after all he has married a divorcee and he is one himself? My answer to that is No'. I'd like to know who else agrees...

EA Sports Active 2 (Wii)
EA Sports Active 2 (Wii)
Offered by *RetroGames*

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT PERFECT., 11 Jan. 2011
I got this for Christmas so I have had a while to test it out and do a review. I will start with the good points. I have used the Wii Fit for over a year, and got great results from it (weight loss), however EA Sports Active 2 is completely different and I can imagine it being either equally or more beneficial than the Wii Fit over a period of time. I find it a lot more challenging and it is more of a cardio workout than the Wii Fit. I certainly wouldn't describe it as fun like the Wii Fit, it is a lot more serious, and are the sort of exercises you would do if you had a personal trainer. Your EA Sports Active 2 personal trainer will certainly try and push you to your limits, and it really gets your heart pumping. On the Wii Fit I was on the Advanced or Super Advanced levels. With EA Sports Active 2 I started off with the medium level, however I was a bit shocked to find it was too much for me so have had to reduce the level to Easy (I didn't realise I was that unfit!) For some the breaks in between the exercises whilst it loads are a pain, but for me they are a pleasure! It allows me time for my heart rate to go down if I am out of breath and have a drink of water.

The bad points:-
1. It says it is Wii Balance Board compatable. I'll be honest by saying you are best not using the Balance Board at all. Why? You have to have the Wii Balance Board switched on all the time (even if the exercise doesn't require the balance board). This proves very annoying as it will interrupt your workout if the Wii Balance Board switches off to tell you to switch it back on again, even if you are not using it! It was also really annoying because my batteries in the Wii Balance Board kept going as I had to have it switched on the whole time of the workout.

2. I love having a heart rate monitor, however I don't find it 100% accurate all the time. For instance I might be really out of breath and feel my heart pumping and it still says my heart rate is low, when it quite obviously isn't. It takes a few minutes after that before it shows a more accurate heart rate figure.

3. Not all the exercises work properly and I have had to skip a couple of them so far. So far I have had to skip the Squats with the rubber resistant band. I have hardly moved and it says I am squatting too low. It drove me up the wall, so I ended up having to skip the exercise. Also the Alternating Reverse Lunges are dodgy also. It doesn't sense you are putting your leg back, and eventually when it did sense it and then I stood straight, it didn't sense that (I was still in the reverse lunge position). So once again, I ended up having to skip it.

4. The music I find annoying. It should have given you a choice of music (or no music at all) to do your workout to, but instead its got this awful music that you have to listen to.

So all in all, it does the job of providing a great overall workout, but there are many annoying things about it that have not been ironed out, unlike the Wii Fit which has no problems with it at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2011 2:57 AM GMT

Whip My Hair
Whip My Hair

5.0 out of 5 stars ADDICTIVE, 6 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Whip My Hair (Audio CD)
Great beat, addictive lyrics, awesome video. For a 10yr old kid Willow Smith has done a pretty darn good job of her first single. She oozes star quality. Not surprising considering her parents are Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. Some people think her video dance moves are too grown up for a girl of her age. Maybe they are, but unfortunately its a sign of the times. So get over it, basically! Kids love dancing like their idols - just go to any local kids dance show and you'll see for yourself. And anyway, she will have her parents guidance and discipline to keep her feet firmly on the ground.

This single will appeal across all ages. So unlike 20 yrs ago when kids songs were really just for kids, this definitely isn't the case here. Can't wait for the album. Go Girl !!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2010 5:43 PM GMT

Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album
Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'Musical' Christmas, 29 Nov. 2010
I've been waiting years for a Christmas album like this, and it's FINALLY dropped! A 'Musical' style Christmas is how I would describe it, rather than your traditional 'Pop' or 'Easy Listening' genre Christmas albums. You can imagine most of these songs being sung at the theatre. Personal favourites on the album in no particular order are:-

'Up On The Rooftop' - An up-tempo R&B Style song that you'll want to put on full blast, sung to the backing-track of Beyonce's Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It). The song has a great beat and I love the way they sing it. Deserves to be Christmas No 1, instead of some non-Christmas song put out by an X Factor contestant.
'We Need A Little Christmas' - One to listen to if you're feeling a little down. Will give you an instant lift - Broadway style!!
'The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year' - Another Broadway style classic - Jazz shoes at the ready!
'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' - A traditional Christmas song sung by characters Mercedes, Rachel, Santana and Tina.
'Jingle Bells' - Lovin the boys big band style vocals on this upbeat number (Sung by characters Finn, Puck and Artie).
'O Christmas Tree' - Sung by Mr Schu with the chorus in the background.
'Last Christmas' - Well we all know this one girls don't we...!
'You're A Mean One Mr Grinch' - At first I thought this was Mr Schu and Sue Sylvester, but it turns out it is actually sung by K.D Lang who is rumoured to be in an upcoming episode.
'Oh Holy Night' - Sung by Lea Michelle's Character Rachel. A pretty standard version (I've heard better), but still nice to listen to.

The songs that don't cut it for me are 'Merry Christmas Darling', 'Baby It's Cold Outside' and 'Angels We Have Heard On High', hence the 4*'s. I've heard much better versions of these.

All in all, a different kind of Christmas album that is definitely worth listening to if you enjoy your musicals!

Joy To The World
Joy To The World

5.0 out of 5 stars Warms The Cockles Of Your Heart !, 1 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Joy To The World (Audio CD)
In true traditional Pink Martini style, they have produced this wonderful Christmas album which transports me back to a different era. The album features festive songs from around the world, singing them not only in English, but different languages.

I also love the 3D album artwork which is of a city at Christmas-time, with snowflakes in the background. Would make a lovely Christmas pressie for someone!

I will definitely be playing this non-stop in the run up to Christmas. It really gets you into the Christmas spirit and warms the cockles of your heart!

Memphis Blues
Memphis Blues
Offered by Revival Books Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars BACK WITH A BANG!, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
Absolutely loving this album. I enjoy listening to Blues music, and was a fan of Cyndi Lauper's pop music in the 80's, so as you can imagine I was delighted to hear that Cyndi was releasing a Blues album and really interested to know what it would sound like. Well the 5* rating says it all really. No, she has not got the traditional sultry Blues voice, but this is where it gets interesting, it doesn't really matter. It's actually good to hear a different kind of voice taking on the Blues. It gives it a new angle, a new edge.

All in all, this is a fantastic comeback for Cyndi Lauper. A must buy!!

The Karate Kid [2010] [DVD]
The Karate Kid [2010] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jaden Smith
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally As Good As The Original, 28 July 2010
This review is from: The Karate Kid [2010] [DVD] (DVD)
Like one of the reviewers above, I also was a child of the 80's, and saw all the Karate Kid films numerous times over the years. I was interested to see how Jaden Smith would step up to the challenge in comparison to Ralph Macchio who was the original Karate Kid. One word 'FANTASTIC!'. Even though Jaden Smith appears younger than Ralph Macchio as the Karate Kid, it worked just as well. I was really impressed with Jaden Smith's performance. Absolutely brilliant and I look forward to seeing him in future films. Jackie Chan was perfect as Mr Han. Although his English vocabulary is still not quite up to scratch...

They have updated the film more compared to the original, and I liked the way it was set in China (The birthplace of Kung Fu). It really made all the difference to the scenery and the story. Yes the film was longer than most, but it didn't matter to me at all. For me, they couldn't possibly have edited any more out. It kept me gripped from beginning to end.

The film is primarily an action film, but also contains comedy, suspense and drama. I would recommend this film for any age from about 7yrs +. Children younger than that may find it a bit violent and upsetting.

Besides Toy Story 3, make sure you see Karate Kid this summer - Not To Be Missed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2011 10:28 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17