Profile for HedgeWytch > Reviews

Content by HedgeWytch

HedgeWytch (London, UK)

Otter Goes to School (I Am Otter)
Otter Goes to School (I Am Otter)
by Sam Garton

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking Otter story, 24 July 2016
I stumbled upon Otter's website a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. This latest book is as engaging as the previous ones, and teaches a very valuable lesson. Beautifully illustrated, I think my only small criticism is that Otter is from the UK so I don't see why she says 'math' instead of 'maths' - naughty Otter!

Tl;dr - great book for children, and also for the childlike at heart.

Book review by Emma, aged 35 and a quarter.

Archie's Mirror (The Land Beyond Trilogy Book 1)
Archie's Mirror (The Land Beyond Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could travel through Archie's Mirror myself., 21 Oct. 2013
As an adult who still loves children's literature this book was a joy to read. Imaginative and engaging, it ticks all the right boxes to capture the imagination of both children and adults alike. Children will enjoy the story for its own sake, and adults will too - with the added bonus of things like the beatnik wolves, a nice nod to more mature popular culture which might pass over the heads of younger children. The basic concept of the book bears a strong parallel to the Narnia books by C.S.Lewis, but with a slightly darker feel (and without being weighed down by religious metaphors!) - if I had to describe this book in one sentence I'd say it was Narnia for the modern generation. Given how much I've always adored the work of C.S. Lewis this is high praise indeed.

The story develops well and at a good pace, so it's easy to get engrossed. I'm looking forward to the second book already!

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition (Offered Exclusively by Amazon)
by J. K. Rowling

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice tales, shame about the quality of the item, 23 Dec. 2008
I enjoyed the Tales, but my enjoyment was tainted by the fact that after page 40 I was subconsciously proofreading the book as I went along. Given how much this edition costs, I would expect it to be thoroughly proofread prior to publication.

The finishing of the book was also dreadful, with several pages stuck together with glue - I am unable to prise them apart without damaging the pages, so haven't quite finished reading yet!

I'm in the process of penning a complaint to Amazon, as this is clearly not an acceptable standard.

Monstrous Regiment (Discworld Novels)
Monstrous Regiment (Discworld Novels)
by Sir Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Monstrous Regiment, 27 Sept. 2003
As with 'Night Watch', this Discworld novel could probably be read apart from the others as no prior knowledge of characters or events is needed. New characters are introduced, some of which are hilarious... The plot itself is, in my opinion, excellent - and the execution as perfect as ever. It's (again, like 'Night Watch') slightly 'darker' than his previous Discworld novels, but is liberally laced with comedy nonetheless. Laugh? Don't read it with broken ribs... Buy it, read it, love it.