Profile for Alex > Reviews

Bullet Adult Knee/Elbow/Wrist Protection Pad Set - Black
Bullet Adult Knee/Elbow/Wrist Protection Pad Set - Black
Offered by SkateHut

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves my ass skiing, 24 Mar. 2014
I generally spend a lot of time in the snowpark. After breaking my elbow and damaging my back last season, I decided to invest in pads and a spine guard. I now feel like I can throw myself around without worrying about injury and broken bones. I have had some serious bails wearing these babies (landing on compact snow feels like concrete), and walked off with barely a bruise and fully functional limbs. Definitely worth the money!

Psychi Chalk Ball for Rock Climbing Gymnastics Weightlifting Pole Dancing
Psychi Chalk Ball for Rock Climbing Gymnastics Weightlifting Pole Dancing
Offered by Crux Adventure

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 24 Mar. 2014
I use the chalk ball for weight lifting, and it makes a massive difference. Deadlifts become a whole lot more satisfying when your grip doesn't fail before your strength. It doesn't get everywhere like other bags of chalk, provided that you keep in it a plastic bag or something. Can't say I'm much for pole dancing, but i'm sure it works wonders for that too!

Ultrasport Walking Sticks with Anti-Shock and 3M Reflector
Ultrasport Walking Sticks with Anti-Shock and 3M Reflector

5.0 out of 5 stars Falsely advertised: Might be good for walking, definitely not okay for skiing, 24 Mar. 2014
I purchased these as I thought telescopic poles might be useful for skiing, depending on what kind of terrain I am on. After all, they are advertised as doubling up as skiing sticks, and they include snow baskets. However, the manual i received with them explicitly stated that they are ONLY for hiking, and I can back that up.

They cannot withstand a lot of force and wear. Within 30 minutes of using them, one of them was already starting to slip down into its telescope and would keep doing so, even after tightening. Within an hour, one of them completely disassembled on the piste. I hadn't fallen over, and I hadn't even being skiing particularly hard. They lack the durability that a skiing pole requires.

Based on other reviews it is apparent that they are good for walking, and I will confirm that the grips are comfy and the anti-shock feels good. This purchase is completely wasted upon me though.

EDIT: Changed review to 5 stars because of excellent customer service and this is no longer an issue
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2014 12:00 PM GMT

Lifeventure Money Belt -
Lifeventure Money Belt -
Offered by MDC Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Lifeventure Money Belt - (Luggage)
I took this belt with me when I went travelling around South east Asia for three months. I always kept 40 dollars (the most solid currency in SEA) in it which easily fits, and actually turned out to be very useful when I forgot money for a visa. The belt itself is very functional despite the fact it is a little wide widthways as another reviewer mentioned. The concealed pocket is not visible when wearing the belt, giving me safety of mind while travelling, knowing I had some safe backup money.

Ironically enough the belt did get stolen (only because it was on my shorts) when I decided it was a good idea to go drunk skinny dipping in Cambodia after a drunk night out. Alas, although it is no fault of the belts'!

Real Leather Passport Holder Black
Real Leather Passport Holder Black
Offered by only the best deals 4u

4.0 out of 5 stars Not real leather, but excellent value of money, 13 Sept. 2013
Don't be fooled by the name of the product, it is not made of real leather, but rather a synthetic substitute. That is the only reason I am rating it down - the misleading name. It is however an excellent value for money; it costs less than a bag of sweets and protected my passport during the three months I spent travelling around South East Asia. A word of warning though, customs officials are required to remove it when checking your passport so you will spend some time taking it off and putting it on if you cross borders a lot. Despite that, I felt a lot more secure knowing my passport was protected by it.

Songs of the Earth: The Wild Hunt Book One
Songs of the Earth: The Wild Hunt Book One

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, but not spectacular, 7 May 2012
First things fist, I would like to say that with books at least, I am a harsh reviewer. Three stars to me is still good, and I wish maybe I could give half stars.

Before I fly in the negatives, I want to say "Songs of the Earth" is a good read; not particularly amazing or original, but entertaining nonetheless. I do find myself involved in the tale, and turning pages to find out what happens. The writings style is an easy-to-read prose and Cooper doesn't get pulled down by over-describing or over-dramatising.

However, a few things mark its score lower than other fantasy novels I have read; the main thing being characterisation. I can't relate to any of the story's characters, they just don't seem feasible to me. Gair is remarkably uninteresting, the only thing that makes him stand out is the fact he is more powerful than other people, and just generally better. Then, he even has the shame to be modest and unassuming. The fact he has no apparent flaws to me, is just a massive flaw in itself. He should be psychologically scarred from being tortured. He should have some arrogance with his superior ability in almost everything he does. He shouldn't be able to socialise easily due to his reclusive upbringing. He shouldn't be able to become best-friends with a really popular guy, with a few uneffectual conversations.

These things say to me that Cooper hasn't really learnt how to build relationships between the characters themselves, and the reader and the characters. Gair is one primary narrative of three we follow. The other two I can barely even be bothered to read. The characters aren't interesting. Some novels handle relationships really well; with a mix of dialogue, association and intimacy. However, this seems to alternate between two elements: 'Love at first sight' and 'Yay let's have sex.' To be fair, I appreciate the occasional intimate scene and do feel it adds to the story, but only if integrated with the relationship properly.

Apart from that one major flaw, the only other things I would comment on is the lack of originality in the story structure (at the moment appears to be classic good vs evil; primary protagonist vs primary antagonist), and the lack of originality in the the elements of the fantastical universe. Other people have made the comparison with Rothfuss's work, and they are correct. At points this felt exactly like a watered down, less immersive "The Name of Wind."

Edit: When writing this review, I did not realise that this was a debut novel. Considering this, the novel is a spectacular effort and success on the author's part, despite the weaknesses. Kudos to her.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 11:53 AM BST

Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 - Black Supreme Flip PU Leather Case / Cover / Pouch & LCD Screen Protector
Offered by Gadget Giant

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, 16 April 2012
Excellent case which I would recommend to anyone. It even came with a note telling me to complete a review and they'll give me a free stylus and stuff. What won me over was the smiley face they added on the end. Win.

Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations
Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations
by Michael J Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing arrival to the fantasy genre., 9 April 2012
Sullivan's Riyria Revelations are quite honestly some of the best books I have read. However, they are not flawless, and I only give five stars when I am truly astounded.

More recent fantasies seem to enjoy crushing my hope for humanity, alienating the idea of morality and goodness to such an extent that I believe the authors are pure cynics/pessimists (not mentioning any names Martin). These books restore it, while at the same time maintaining the harsh realism of the world. Characters do die, the world is not perfect; people lie and life is unfair. We don't see the same extent of torture and weakness of will in the characters as you might in these harsh books, nor the naive archetypes you see in others. The characters do have their traits and their weaknesses, and if they undergo a traumatic event they change, but there is always hope.

The story is concise and interesting. The scenery, challenges and current affairs are always changing. Sullivan doesn't get caught up in minor details like Robert Jordan did, not going into details of boring and pointless affairs. None of the story feels like filler, all being relevant to either the plot, our interest, or our understanding of the characters. Sometimes when a book gives us flashbacks I feel the urge the skip them, in here I drink them in, learning about our heroes' pasts. The handling of relationships isn't overly dramatic nor puerile. I feel as if they are also feasible things, with feasible dialogue. I remember cringing at romantic lines in other works, wanting to hide my face at the gross handling of it; while in these I just grin like an idiot because it feels strong and pure, and based on real groundwork.

The story telling in here is in someway unique. Sullivan doesn't have many different plot lines going on, rather a single plot line which has many different weaves. He doesn't get weighed down by stories which he has lost track of or doesn't know what to do with, but maintains complexity and alternate interpretations. Often a seeming plot twist isn't actually a plot twist at all, but Sullivan choosing to open the range of possible predictions even further.

Now onto the negatives. First, this is probably exclusive to being a Brit, but seeing the word 'Mom' in a fantasy book wants to make me take a loaded shotgun to my head. Okay, maybe an exaggeration, but seriously; WHY SULLIVAN, WHY? There are other Americanisms which I feel slightly spoil the Medieval European esque-ness of the series, but hey, you Americans are probably fine with it. Second, there are a lot coincidences. These don't ruin the book for me as they mostly seem feasible, but they are a little dubious. I tend to follow a self-made rule on whether it ruins the book for me; If you can believe that the coincidence is a reason the characters succeeded and therefore could have the book concerning them written, rather than the coincidence having to happen to make the book successfully continue the characters, then it doesn't ruin the book. It's kinda the difference between a book writing itself and the author forcing the book to work.

Anyway, apart from that, I guess at times the characters seem a little shallow, but otherwise, an amazing effort, and an amazing story. Cheers Sullivan, you just made my life slightly better!

Dermatix Silicone Gel Scar Reduction 15g
Dermatix Silicone Gel Scar Reduction 15g
Offered by Pharmacy Place

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Nov. 2011
I recently had several moles removed from my face. I have been using this gel for maybe a month now, and can definitely see the improvements. They are barely red anymore, and getting less and less noticeable.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 11:12 PM BST

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Offered by Base

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, 11 Nov. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Most of this has been covered already, but I thought I would add my part, if not just to negate the one star reviews complaining about delivery.

A few things to start off, if you're reading this, I would expect you're an avid Oblivion player, so you know what to expect. So I won't talk about anything that remains the same. And before I dive into praise, I am going to say a few things that slightly annoyed me, although not enough to lower my rating.

One thing was that when you look down in first person, you can't see your torso and feet. I know this is a quite petty thing in the grand scheme, but I just feel it would add to the realism. The second thing is the lack of people in the game, there are more than Oblivion, but I don't feel like Cities are alive in the same way as Assassin's Creed, for example. A inspiring speech by a commander to an army of four guards doesn't seem very dramatic. And finally, I would quite like for your own character to speak, I know it would create a lot of dialogue, but if it could be incorporated in some way, I would love it.

So, they are the minor bad things. Now I'm just going to launch into the list of new awesome things

Graphics: Graphics have taken a major step up. Characters still don't speak with much emotion, but they are vastly improved too. They actually resemble real people in this one, and men can look handsome, women can look pretty, opposed to the last one where the characters were a bit off. All the different races and creatures look immensely better. The water in rivers actually move in this one too, and you can struggle to fight the current. All the items are designed intricately, you can see how much effort was put into this game just by examining an iron pot or a piece of meat in your inventory. The scenery is just plain sexy, it's more interesting than Oblivion, with actual rock for mountains instead of increasing gradients. There is a variety of environments, all of which are very atmospheric.

Gameplay: Oblivion combat was not very interactive with the world. It was a bit repetitive, and I never really felt under pressure. In this combat system, you actually feel like you are struggling for your life, the impact of sword on shield just feels and looks right. That, with the new system of using one trigger for controlling each hand, I love. You can choose almost any combination of weapons, spells and misc. The cinematic of killing enemies is just the icing on the cake. You can do many new things in Skyrim as well, such as make armour, sharpen weapons, chop wood to make a living, play the lute. The diversity is great.

Interface: Runs a lot smoother than the last game. The menus are seamless, everything is convenient to get to. The quick menu accessed by the D pad is great. I really can't find anything to critisise:

Storyline: To be honest, I haven't played much of the storyline. I get dragged away on side quests and adventures, often because I just like enjoying the scenery or fighting with the new system. All the 'dungeons/instances' in this game are better thought through as well. Instead of a door, leading to a generated labyrinth, they are part of the landscape, and often have as much of an outside element as they do of an indoor one.

Well, there's probably much more I want to say about it, but I'm not going to overdo it. All I can say is, that it is definitely worth getting this game. If you need to get work done of something though, reconsider getting the game as it will steal much of your time. Now, I'm off to play Skyrim.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2011 9:21 AM GMT