Profile for Tonic > Reviews

Content by Tonic

Tonic

Page: 1 | 2
Apple 11-inch MacBook Air (Intel Dual Core i5 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Memory, HD Graphics 4000, OS X Lion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Suped-up Netbook -- Perfect!, 19 Aug. 2013
Bought this as an alternative to a netbook for taking to lectures at university. Bought it second hand, so it only came in at £450. It's the perfect size and weight for a student- the only problem for student use is that it has no security slot to put a laptop lock on it, so I'll have to be canny about keeping it safe.

Screen's gorgeous- I'm planning to fit it up to a 24" monitor when I'm at "home" so unfortunately it might end up a bit blurry due to the relative resolutions, but for general video watching etc it can't be beat.

Storage is no problem- I use a buffalo 1TB hard drive I bought for £70 for all my enormous storage, and I have a 32GB mini memory stick (Sandisk) that sits in one of the two USB slots at all times. No need to keep anything on the machine, really.

In comparison to the old-style macbook air: Not as pretty, too much black, but super useful having two USB ports instead of one, and even more useful that there's no flippy-down mechanism to get to them.

In comparison to the Macbook Air 13"- I prefer this one. I'm female, I have quite small hands, and I need the lightest thing possible because I'm always carrying books around. This is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my Ukulele sound more expensive, 22 May 2013
Cracking strings, make my ukulele sound much more expensive and pleasant to listen to.

Not being great with describing timbre, I'll leave it at that, but really- if you've got a ukulele, and you can play a couple of songs and you're looking to make the whole experience just a bit more pleasant, purchase these strings. They're only six quid and they make a big difference.

Also they shipped overnight.

4.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, 13 Jun. 2012
These are great, just what I needed to restore the writing desk I bought off ebay. The markers are the most useful thing but be sure to go through them in ascending order of darkness so you dont end up with something tbat is too black. Thr wax sticks are a bit harder to use and the mahogany one comes out an odd kind of purple, but this is still a great set. I was worried tbat the pens would run out but there seems to be quite a lot of ink in them. Good stuff!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Stay Cool: A Polar Bear's Guide to Life
Stay Cool: A Polar Bear's Guide to Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Most wonderful read, 24 Mar. 2012
My boyfriend bought this for me and it is wonderful. There are beautiful pictures of polar bears, with lots of lovely sound words of advice. It really relaxes me to read it. At the back, there are lots of polar bear facts and information about where the various pictures were taken. This book would be good for a child, I'm sure, but shouldn't be underestimated as a sweet and thoughtful gift for an adult. It makes me smile, and the pictures are gorgeous. Excellent present.

iGadgitz Pink 'Slimline' PU Leather Case Cover for New Amazon Kindle 4 Wi-Fi 6" E Ink Display Ereader (Latest Generation Released October 2011)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but leave it to air a little., 31 Jan. 2012
This is a lovely case. The colour is a hot pink, wit cream stitching, and while the leather is fake, it doesn't feel like it's trying to compensate for it- no horrid coarse-grain pattern stamped on. I love the elastic band, as I thought a tab fastening would get in the way while reading. The elastic band is JUST big enough to go over the whole thing to shut it- I think it's meant to be more of a hand strap while you're reading.

The price of this product is just right. I can't afford to pay upwards of a tenner for something that's just going to protect my kindle in my bag. This is about right.

Just beware, because it smells very plastic-y, especially at first. I'm pretty sure this will go with time. If not, I will sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on it until it does.

Lovely case, great price, nice design, slightly pong-y.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Orangina 2 Litre (Pack of 6)
Orangina 2 Litre (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Boyfriend loved it., 15 Jan. 2012
My boyfriend loves Orangina. I sent these bottles of it to his University digs and he is a happy man. Came in a good box, not all shaken up by the journey, tastes great. Good times.

Intelex Cozy Plush Microwaveable Warmer -  Polar Bear
Intelex Cozy Plush Microwaveable Warmer - Polar Bear
Offered by BARGAINS-GALORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Squishy and delightful, 15 Jan. 2012
I'd recommend this little fella. He is pleasantly heavy and the warmth is more like a living thing than a hot waterbottle- it's a bit like having a very tolerant cat to cuddle. The smell is lovely (or at least, I thought so)- these things work by having oats or wheat inside them that get hot in the microwave, so he smells pleasantly like bread dough when he's hot. There's also a splash of lavender in there, which is very soothing.

The drawback of the sogginess: I am assured this will go away with a few more microwavings. It's really not that bad- Just cuddle him with a dressing gown on at first.

He is lovely. I love polar bears, and he is just delightful.

Later update: Sogginess has gone away. I put him in the microwave for three minutes, not the recommended 90 seconds, but that's just my microwave, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else. He is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather beautiful, 11 Dec. 2011
Bought this for my mother for Christmas- she loves sculpture, and this is rather beautiful in its own right, I thought.

It's very small- about the width of four fingers pressed together. It feels nice in the hand, and (remarkably) the stainless steel doesn't seem to retain fingerprints, which is nice. It's presented in a box that makes it look almost like jewellery.

Very nice, she'll love it. I'm sure it peels oranges well, too.

Blush Professional 88 Colour Earth Tones Eyeshadow Palette
Blush Professional 88 Colour Earth Tones Eyeshadow Palette
Offered by Blush Cosmetics

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good looking palette- on the inside., 11 Dec. 2011
Let's get the bad bit done: The packaging is not great. Matte black plastic, pretty brittle looking, no protection if it gets dropped and fingerprints leave dark greasy smears. Brand logo on top, pretty amateur looking.

The good news: Inside, fantastic stuff. Really nice looking colours, especially the sparkly ones (20% of all of them are sparkly, or thereabouts). They're sort of neutral colours, but have colour to them, so there are lots of different shades of brown, blue, green etc, plus lots of corresponding light ones for underneath the brow bone and such. I think a few of the browns would make really good contouring/eyebrow colours, too.

Bought this for my 14 year old cousin for Christmas, since she'll be getting into makeup. It's much better than the brightly coloured pallettes around, which look great in pictures but shouldn't be allowed near anyone's face... I'd much prefer she looked like a classy, natural(ish) young lady than a neon gogo-dancer. At least for everyday wear.

TL;DR: Lovely colours, even better in person than in the picture, ugly packaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but small, 11 Dec. 2011
Very understated earrings, much smaller than you'd imagine (avoids the Dallas look, I suppose)
Packaging is tiny, just a little earring box. There's no holes in it that these could fit in, so they just come in a little plastic bag (would suggest taking them out of this before gifting).
Good looking, great price.

Page: 1 | 2