Profile for Mr. Antonio Cavaldoro > Reviews

Content by Mr. Antonio Ca...

Mr. Antonio Cavaldoro (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
L.A. Noire (PS3)
L.A. Noire (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Noire Done Right, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: L.A. Noire (PS3) (Video Game)
I absolutely adore James Ellroy's writings, so I was excited by this release, but wary that I was going to get just another GTA clone with a different background. There's a very clear Ellroy influence: we've got the shady Irish head of Homicide calling you lad, you've got the rivalry between the squeaky clean ambitious detective and his rough hewn former comrade who's now an insurance investigator. You've got a military hero with a few secrets. You've got a femme fatale. You've got numerous plots running in parallel and crossing each other and you've got numerous reference to the (real life) Black Dahlia case, which Ellroy also wrote about.

The much talked about facial technology doesn't disappoint and the best parts of the game take place when you're interacting with the game's many characters. It's a lot more Heavy Rain than GTA - in truth the action elements of the game are bit dull, fairly easy and a bit repetitive. But, they're very much the side-show. You'll need to shoot a few hoods, run after some bolting suspects and chase cars to complete the game, but the real job is hunting for clues and interviewing suspects and witnesses.

The game is well paced and doesn't fall into the trap that so many games do, where you spend ages wandering about trying to work out what the designers expect you to do. In LAN you're free to wander as you wish, but generally kept on the right path so that you'll be able to complete the investigation. The storyline is the star and enjoyed playing it, just to find out what was coming next. I completely disagree with the view that the end is poor - it's a pure noire finale and it's completely in line with the plot. I'd like to have had more cases to play and maybe a bit of a more challenging shoot out, but overall this is one of the best games ever produced, hugely ambitious and 99% successful.

Drop Shot
Drop Shot
by Harlan Coben

2.0 out of 5 stars Second Serve, 15 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Drop Shot (Paperback)
You get the usual Coben fast moving dialogue and plotting but this isn't one of his better ones. The characters come across unbelievable and the big twist in the tale is telegraphed from fairly early on.

Condemned 2 (PS3)
Condemned 2 (PS3)
Offered by Products Just4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Condemned 3 Please!!, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Condemned 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Wow, this is brutal, but with good hand to hand and shooting combat worked into a great storyline you find yourself drawn into the crumbling world of the main character. A violent alcoholic washed up cop isn't standard hero fare, but this is not the standard game. Battle you way through a variety of spooky locations : abandoned toy factories, museums, old theatres, solving some interesting puzzles and dispatching crazies in an interesting fashion - head in a vice being the most amusing. Great stuff, more please.

Dead Space (PS3)
Dead Space (PS3)
Offered by mivendo UG

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead Boring, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Dead Space (PS3) (Video Game)
I was a bit surprised I didn't like this. I read the great reviews and I particularly like horror shooters. But there's something missing here. As I wandered around the creaking ship offing aliens, I was filled with a "what's the point" feeling, rather than an edgy tension. The rather odd over-the-right-shoulder view doesn't help, but it's more than that. Your character is constantly contacted by his crew members sending him off to do dangerous things to help his escape. Most of which don't work. But this doesn't stop you merrily heading off to do whatever instructed. There's no stealth to it: you wander along a fairly linear path and battle with whatever comes your way. A lot of the time you find yourself charging about blasting. The fact that Isaac can't pop out from round a corner and take a shot or scramble over anything higher than knee height means you're limited to either sprinting off and spinning around when you can get a shot in or standing and fighting. I got to the end, but probably won't play it again.

The Saboteur (PS3)
The Saboteur (PS3)
Offered by Products Of Excellence

2.0 out of 5 stars Sabotaged, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Saboteur (PS3) (Video Game)
Gloomy WW2 Paris looks great in this sandbox game. Everything starts out black and white and gets brighter as Sean (the main character) strikes blows against the nazi war machine. The main storyline and side missions quickly get a bit dull: you end up with going somewhere and blasting your way out. AI is terrible. If you turn up in a nazi uniform off a couple of them, get spotted and run off they'll be completely oblivious by the time you get back round the corner. Playing the game in a stealthy fashion is equally poor. If you wander around dressed as a soldier it's rarely long before someone has randomly worked out who you are. Aside from the clunky storyline there's also an almost endless amount of things to destroy, but to be honest once you've blown up one searchlight you've done the all. I'd personally not bother blowing up the dozens scattered around the French countryside. You can also scramble Assasin's Creed style around the rooftops of Paris, but it' really not anywhere as well animated. Sadly, the gameplay doesn't live up the nice look an interesting setting.

The Runaways [DVD]
The Runaways [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars There's a Bit Missing, 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Runaways [DVD] (DVD)
Well a couple really. Fairly massive bits. From a timing perspective anyone who didn't know anything about the band wouldn't really get much of an idea that they did a number of studio albums. The movie takes them from meeting to rehearsal to gigs to signing with Mercury and then to a Japanese tour and meltdown with barely a hint that they've put a single out. Before you know it they're going on about JJ's solo career. It would have been interesting if the film maker had spent a little more time on the band's rise.

Also, Lita Ford who was a massive success after the band dissolved is a background presence with hardly any lines.

The laughably bad lip synching doesn't help either, but that's always going to be an issue in music biopics, I guess.

LG HB965TZ 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema System with LG NetCast, Wi-Fi & DLNA
LG HB965TZ 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema System with LG NetCast, Wi-Fi & DLNA

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinema Paradiso, 12 July 2011
I'm loving this, absolute breeze to install: got the front two speakers on stands and the rears on the brackets provided. Sound quality is great as is DVD upscaling and blu ray. Got it connected to the TV via HDMI for the disc playback and phono for everything else. Easy to do and looks nice, really can't go wrong at this price.

Only Revolutions
Only Revolutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware Fanboys Bringing Moans, 13 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Only Revolutions (Audio CD)
I'm obviously not a proper fan, because I love this album. To me you could drop any track onto any of the Biff's first three records and it'd not seem hugely out of place. I know that the trendy thing to say is that this really isn't as good as the early albums and that they've sold out. I tried desperately not to like it, but as with all of their albums there are enough moments of toe-tapping clever pop rock that it's impossible to warm to it, unless you're trying to prove a point. If I had to come up with a criticism of this (or indeed any of the previous three albums) it is that they don't change the format enough. But then again, when they seem to be able to spill out such a lot of wonderful product, you might ask why they should.

ROBERTS ColourSTREAM DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with Dock for iPod and Colour Touch Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 13 Feb. 2011
I'm just delighted with this gizmo. As someone who's not too technical I get really frustrated by products with poor manuals and that seem to assume a degree in computer science.

This was not the case here, after a quick flick through the clearly written manual I popped the thing on, linked it to my broadband and set the time. So far so good, but surely steaming music from my PC and laptop was going to be tricky? Nope, within five minutes I was happily listening to my tunes. Internet radio was also a breeze to operate, and without having to go back to the manual I was merrily listening to my favourite podcasts. I'd also plugged my MP3 in and had that blasting out too. I'm not an Apple fan, but it would have been easier with an ipod as there's a built in dock. Also hooked it up to Last.FM which is a pretty nifty service too.

The item itself is a good solid block like a piece of hifi kit should be and the speakers have a decent of grunt. Needs a bit of fiddling to get the settings right for music vs talk, but I'd expect that ofd course. All in all I really cannot find fault. If I was being picky I'd say it's slightly irritating that if I'm listening to a podcast and stop half way through that it can't remember where I was up to, but that's not a massive issue.

Resident Evil: 5 - Platinum Edition (PS3)
Resident Evil: 5 - Platinum Edition (PS3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Resident Flaws, 20 Jan. 2011
After many years of playing games, I've finally got one that I just cannot be bothered to complete. There's many things wrong with it - the often mentioned non-playing companion who bumbles around wasting ammo and getting in your way was a dreadful idea. The story is stupid even by game standards, and I found myself completely un-engaged. The weapons interface is a pain, too. Switching weapons is irritating, moving and shooting isn't possible. There's also some dire pacing: one part sees a zombie thing driving a truck at you. To stop him you need to pop some explosive barrels. All standard enough, except that each time you have to do a bit of a walk and a jump, then go through a long cut scene and, if you miss, which you probably will a few times, you're going to see again and again. This is an ongoing feature of the game. Anyway, I got about 2/3s of the way through and thought, "why am I wasting my time with this joyless game" and put it on Ebay.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2011 10:37 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8