Profile for MysticDragon > Reviews

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Offered by Catch-up

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, 31 July 2011
I bought this phone from the Carphone Warehouse rather than from Amazon, and I think it's a great phone. My last phone worked on android and since I broke it, I wanted to get another android. The Ace is a good android phone, with most of the pre-loaded apps being rather useful and the camera on it is, in my opinion the best I've seen on a phone. It has options to change the focus mode and has a macro feature, great for taking pictures of objects close-up. The camera also has a feature allowing you to take panoramic shots, continuous shots and a smile shot feature, which recognises a smile and takes the picture when it detects one. It really is like a digital camera all packed into a sleek, good-looking and light phone.

The music player is rather good and reaches a decent volume. There is also an FM Radio which I think is a nice addition and I've used it a few times. If the pre-installed apps aren't for you then there is an endless array of apps buyable and free from the app market which you can get onto from your phone.

The text messages are set up as a thread rather than individual messages, much like the message set-up on an iPhone. I myself find this very useful, though there is no option to re-send failed messages, so re-typing a failed message is rather annoying, especially if it's a long one, though this is only a small inconvenience. Initially when the phone is new, the keyboard is set out in a QWERTY format, though this can be changed to a normal phone key pad (1=abc 2=def.. etc) in the message settings.

There are only a few drawbacks to this phone. One is that the phone occationally turns itself off, which can be rather irritating if you're waiting on a phone call or a text. This has happened a few times to me but it is only really a minor inconvenience and you just need to switch the phone back on again.

The other drawback is the horrendous battery life. Though this can be expected if you're running android apps and playing music/using the camera etc. Obviously using the android features on the phone uses more battery power than just the phone itself. If you buy this phone and use the apps on a daily basis, be prepared to charge the phone every night, or every other night if you aren't using the apps. This isn't really a major inconvenience in my eyes, though everyone is different. Overall, I think a short battery life can be expected on this type of phone.

Those are really the only bad things I can think of about this phone, and the positives majorly outweigh the negatives. If you're thinking about buying this phone, I would 100% say go for it. Great for someone who wants an iPhone without the expense. It even looks a little bit like an iPhone, and is just as good. It's a brilliant little phone, with a sleek, thin design, and it feels light. I was really happy with this phone, and would recommend it to anyone, as I'm sure they'd be really happy with it too.

- Laura
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 2:47 PM GMT

Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World [DVD]
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Irene Bedard
Offered by SweetBuzzards

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, 20 Jan. 2011
As a child, I'd grown up adoring the first Pocahontas film, and I still do when I watch it with my little sister, I adore it just as much as I did then. I was shocked that I'd never heard of this second film until a good few years after it's release. I sat down to watch this one with my sister (who is five) and I have to be honest, I was bitterly disappointed. Disney have let themselves down with this one. The songs don't scratch the surface of the great songs in the first, like Colours of the Wind and the Drums of War. I also found that the story in this film was not great. The fact that they introduced someone new for Pocahontas to fall in love with ruined it for me. With the first, you could see her and John Smith falling in love and you could feel the emotions Disney were trying to convey, in a way. With this one, you can't. It's as if Disney didn't even watch the first film before making this one. They completely forgot about her love for John Smith, and this ruined it for me. I grew up with Disney, and I love their films, but if you want a Disney film to sit down and watch with your kids or brothers and sisters, or even yourself, don't pick this one. You would be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 12:08 AM BST