Profile for D. Gilbert > Reviews

Content by D. Gilbert

D. Gilbert "dianagilbert2" (surrey, united kingdom)

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
by Jean Liedloff

5.0 out of 5 stars A book every parent should be reading whilst expecting their first child!, 5 Dec. 2009
This is a wonderful book, which I read when my third child was a baby - I wish I had read it before I became a parent. It explains so much about the way life has continued for many generations before we came, and should be compulsory reading for everyone. We have all become so far removed from the way life should be, yet it is such a simple way of making it all simple, easy and uncomplicated. It made me realise just how complex my life as a mother of 3 children was, needlessly! I also felt quite sorry that I had been following some 'expert' opinions instead of listening to my maternal instincts. This book will bring the reader back to where every parent should be - in touch with their intuitive parenting and the way of natural creation of life. I cannot recommend it highly enough: even though I first read it 10 years ago it is still very much on my mind and I have recommended it to many over the years. Now ordering it for my niece who is expecting her first child soon.

First Things First
First Things First
by Stephen R. Covey

1.0 out of 5 stars too much of a (not so) good thing, 8 May 2005
This review is from: First Things First (Paperback)
This is a very thick, dense book, full of words and more words.It is supposed to teach the reader how to get more time for doing those things we all want to do - how to be better organised; if only someone applied the same rules to their book!
Getting the main points out of this abundance is not easy -everything is laboured to death and so the progress is slow, with time spent discussing other non-productive ways and reasons for their limitations - Do I care?
A person or average intelligence would get it from a few bullet-point statements but the book goes on and on - and on...
But that isn't even the worst of it. Reading this book has been one of those 'I could kick myself for buying - let alone reading' experiences.
The complicated nature of its presentation would logically suggest that if this 'method' needs this amount of detail and instruction it is definitely not going to be suitable for anyone who is really busy and really short of time.
There are lists to make , matrixes to fill in, percentages, evaluations...
There are phrases such as win-win agreements, self-directing, accountability, goals, mission, abundance mentality...
Not forgetting the 20 point evaluation of your week!(and no, it isn't 1-10 score system either)
My conclusion: following principles outlined will not make any more time. To get it all 'right' would be very hard, maybe even impossible. Definitely stressful!
Life's complicated enough but after reading this book you'll realise just how much more complicated you could make it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2015 5:25 PM BST