Profile for You're reading the opinion of > Reviews

Content by You're reading...

You're reading the opinion of "Jaydash" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Complete Music Quiz Night-In Game
Complete Music Quiz Night-In Game
Offered by Pelicanshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay If You Want A Real Challenge, 18 May 2014
First off, I'm going to be generous within my review by not completely trashing this game. Not to beat around the bush though, it is hard. Very hard. Even for people who think they know a lot about music.

We went for an Oldies vs Young'uns thing at Xmas, with the oldies being in their 30's, 50's and 60's and the (not-so) young'uns in their 20's, 30's and 40's. But even though the former did as well as expected on the 1960's/ 1970's questions, they only got 5 right in the 1980's section and just 1 in the General section.

The team who's main era was the 1980's/ 1990's got 6 answers right in their specialist round, but only 4 right in the Name That Tune section and just 2 in the General section. The thing is, each of those teams contained one person who generally has a very broad knowledge of pop music/ music history and has done extremely well in such quizzes before, so it was slightly embarrassing for them to have struggled so much.

To further demonstrate how difficult this quiz is, a third team of 30-somethings without a self-proclaimed music expert actually got ZERO in one round! That obviously makes for a very frustrating game, and it's not exactly the model of a fun time. The problems stem from the difficulty/ obscurity of many questions, plus a CD on-which many tracks are difficult to recognise during the Name That Tune section, not helped by the fact that the original songs haven't been used.

To sum things up then, as per the title of my review, frankly this game is only really suitable for those who are up for a real challenge, or where *everyone* in the room is heavily into their music, or for people who perhaps regularly attend pub music quizzes etc. For the average family get-together though, you're better off seeking-out something like the Abbey Road Studios Music Trivia Game instead.

Power Support HD Anti-Glare Films for New iPhone 5 (2 Anti-Glare Front)
Power Support HD Anti-Glare Films for New iPhone 5 (2 Anti-Glare Front)

2.0 out of 5 stars They Make The Screen Look Too Dull IMO, 21 Jan. 2014
Although billed as being High Definition, to my very fussy (and sensitive to these things) eyes, these protectors have a kind-of 'frosted' look when installed, which is counter-intuitive to the phone manufacturer having fitting such a high-resolution screen on the 5. In other words, they make it look ever-so-slightly blurry to me. Fellow reviewer Micky K noted a similar effect.

Also, in contrast to most reviewers, I found that these matte screens take away from the general look of a nice screen, which seems to look 10 x more vibrant once you've removed the protector. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but if I were choosing again I would either look at Spigen's Oleophobic offerings, or put up with having fingerprints on a standard, shiny protector.

I hope this helps, and I accept that the points I've mentioned above will probably only affect those who have a real eye for detail, or are prone to looking-for and therefore noticing faults. The average user will likely be happy, as the Power Support protectors fit well enough.

Combat Shock [DVD] [1984]
Combat Shock [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Rick Giovinazzo

1.0 out of 5 stars So shockingly bad, it's probably good!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Combat Shock [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
Oh my giddy aunt! What have I just watched? More to the point, why are the seven previous reviews of this film all glowing?

I've seen a lot of films in my time, but this is without doubt one of the worst I've ever watched. I didn't say it was a complete waste of time though, and unlike some truly awful films I was at least compelled to see it through to the end.

I know things weren't as sophisticated in the 80's - I was there - but it's genuinely hard to believe that Combat Shock went up-against movies from the likes of Arnie, Stallone and Cruise et al, not to mention all the noteworthy Vietnam films that came before it.

Indeed, it might have been slightly more acceptable if Combat Shock had preceded Apocalypse Now, Platoon and The Deer Hunter, but it came after all three. Actually, Combat Shock is more about the post-war life of its main protagonist than the war itself, but it came after the likes of First Blood (Rambo) and Taxi driver too.

I can't even allow for the fact that this is a low budget movie, because honestly it is so bad that you'd think it was a modern pastiche.

From the ridiculously-dressed drug dealers, the naff dialogue throughout, the uber cheesy soundtrack, terrible production values, schoolboy-style fight scenes and truly abysmal acting from all concerned, it's more like a 1970's TV movie than a mid-80's feature film.

The main protagonist's deformed baby looks like E.T. and moans like a cat, but rather than feel sorry for him you are much more likely to laugh out loud at the sheer silliness of it all. On that note, I definitely wouldn't dub this a thought-provoking, powerful, gritty or depressing movie like some online reviewers have; it's just plain rubbish.

All that said, Combat Shock is so bad that it could easily become a cult movie. It's certainly a benchmark for those studying the craft of acting, and serves as a lesson for all would-be film stars in how NOT to do it. For this particular reviewer it was therefore worth a watch, but that is very faint praise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 9:41 PM GMT

Fender: The Golden Age
Fender: The Golden Age
by Martin Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Compact Edition..., 17 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Fender: The Golden Age (Hardcover)
First off, this is a great book, however the compact version is frankly too small.

I bought this one to save myself a bit of money, but it soon became clear that the text is way too small for my 40-something eyes (and no, I don't need glasses). Also, with this type of book you really want to have a good look at the pictures, so bigger is always going to be better.

I therefore ordered the standard (280 x 216 mm) edition to compare the two, and it is a much better buy, even at twice the price of the compact version. Honestly, it is false economy to buy the smaller offering, and it's not as if this is the type of book you'll want to cart around anyway. So, just do yourself a favour and buy the bigger one, which although laid-out slightly differently at the front and back, looks identical in terms of content.

Other Amazon reviews will tell you what's inside, suffice to say that anyone who's into guitars, particularly Fender guitars, is bound to enjoy owning it. It's a nice quality book that makes for an interesting read.

I hope that helps.

ANIMAL BALLISTIC LEATHER WALLET Brown
ANIMAL BALLISTIC LEATHER WALLET Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Plenty Of Card Slots, Not Too Formal, 27 July 2012
A great quality wallet, this is ideal if don't want anything too formal or 'Dad-like', but would like something a bit more grown-up than the canvas/ velcro type wallets.

It has dedicated slots for no less than 9 credit/ bank/ store cards, which is the reason I bought it. However, you could also carry another 4 cards in the pockets inside (which I assume are designed to hold receipts), although they wouldn't be held-in tightly like your other cards. There are two sections inside for notes, but there's no way of carrying any coins because there isn't a zip-up compartment. This wallet doesn't have an external fastener, but that isn't a problem in use.

The leather is surprisingly soft, and it's quite a lightweight wallet given that it has so much capacity. There is 'Animal: Est. 1987' branding across the front (in relief), and two smaller Animal logos inside. The colour is not too dark a brown, with a matte finish to the leather; it looks really smart. My wallet arrived in a cardboard presentation box.

Black Dynamite [DVD]
Black Dynamite [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Jai White
Offered by MusicnMedia

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, But I Didn't Enjoy It, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Black Dynamite [DVD] (DVD)
Black Dynamite is a spoof-style film based on the cop/ kung-fu movies of the 1970's, complete with authentic grainy look, cheesy soundtrack and plenty of bad/ 70's style language (mofo, jive ass, honky, n*gger etc). Sudden zoom-ins, oddly-framed shots, wobbly camera work, deliberately-bad acting and exaggerated Bruce Lee sound effects complete the picture.

The problem is that it's billed as an action-slash-comedy movie, but it is neither to be frank. To me, BD comes across like a University student short film; something that is good considering it wasn't made by professionals, but is rather too thin on script/ action to sustain the attention. NB. I'm not saying that this particular film isn't professionally made, because I accept that it is badly-edited on purpose etc.

But I laughed just once; when he put the phone down on his mum while she was in mid-sentence. That was it. However, while writing this review I tried to imagine if I'd have found it funnier if I were in my teens or 20's, but honestly I don't think it's an age thing. BD is just not that funny. Indeed, being older, I should probably have appreciated the 'comedy' more, having seen many of the films that BD is trying to send-up the first time around.

So if you're anything like me, you probably won't laugh at any gags, or be amused by the mocking script (which doesn't venture into parody enough to work well), nor will you be able to admire any decent kung fu. Ultimately then, you've got to ask yourself: "What's the point, sucker?"

On that note, please ignore the four stars that this film has at the time of writing, and either rent it or just give it a miss and choose something else. Especially as it's only 75-minutes long. The bonus material isn't particularly interesting either.

The only caveat to add, is to note that other people suggest that the viewer might get more out-of BD on subsequent viewings, but personally I don't want to go again, even if I'm told that I should be revelling in the 'black exploitation' references from the old 70's films.

To conclude, BD is not a bad film, but it wasn't silly, funny or clever enough to amuse me. Sorry, all you BD fans!

Wake Wood [DVD]
Wake Wood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by wantitcheaper

2.0 out of 5 stars Slight Spoilers Herein? (But I'm Not Spoiling Anything Worthwhile), 20 May 2011
This review is from: Wake Wood [DVD] (DVD)
Please leave this type of film to the Yanks; we Brits can't do them on low budgets.

Problems? For a start, grieving parents would likely be more hesitant than the main protagonists were about digging-up the grave of their dead daughter in-order to bring her back for a few days, just because some bloke dressed in tweed said he could.

Also, if you had the chance to bring your girl back from the dead, I'm betting that you wouldn't let her out of your sight, let alone play hide-and seek in a thick wood with her. And you probably wouldn't spend time letting her sew-up injured dogs either. Nor, for that matter, allow her to play in the garden with a large Bullmastiff, when it was a dog that actually killed her. Doh!

Rather than being mysterious, this film is simply naff and a little bit silly. Unnecessary/ out-of-place gore doesn't help, and any film where you can tell the use of CGI in the spurts of blood is automatically marked down by me.

The editing is atrocious in places too, with some of the shots reminiscent of 70's TV movies e.g. the Dad's reaction when he knocks down a dog in his car. And the occasional 'sign-posting' of what's going to happen next is rather too cheesy, as are all the clichés used in this film.

The only saving grace is the last 25 minutes, when the back-from-the-dead kid goes on a mini killing spree, even if the viewer is subjected to more bad acting from the supporting cast and it is over too soon. Mind you, you can 'see' the acting at times even from the lead actors.

So, a lack of tension, a thin and somewhat predictable plot, no scares whatsoever, and a lacklustre ending render this film as far away from an 'instantaneous horror classic' (cover quote) as you can get in 2011.

If this were the 1970's or 1980's then maybe it would be more acceptable, but you've definitely seen much better horror movies so I'd advise you to skip this one.

Mammoth [DVD]
Mammoth [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gael García Bernal

2.0 out of 5 stars (Corny title, but) It's A MAMMOTH Waste Of Time, 23 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mammoth [DVD] (DVD)
You will doubtless read the Synopsis of this movie and note the front cover quote: 'Superb... a clever and challenging film', and think that you're in for an interesting and perhaps even enthralling experience.

However, this is one of those films where nothing happens; it's just people going about their daily business. I genuinely don't know what the writer/ Director was trying to do, but the result is just boring to watch. I wouldn't even call it a 'slow' film, because it doesn't really build to anything. It's just very dull... much like real life is for many of us, and we don't need to be reminded of that while watching a film, thanks. Yes, life is hard, we knew that already.

Some infidelity and even a death don't make the viewer (well, not this [male] viewer, anyway) feel anything for the characters, and I certainly wasn't moved in the same way that I wasn't at all gripped or engaged by this film. It didn't help that Gael Garcia Bernal doesn't have enough about him to pull off such a lead role, although I'm not actually criticising his acting ability there, just his (lack of) charisma and screen presence. He may great in other things and the script might have been the thing letting him down here, I don't know.

To sum up: two hours went by and I was very non-plussed by the whole experience. Mammoth is not a 'terrible' film per se, but watching it was undoubtedly a waste of my time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2011 10:53 PM BST

Bunny & The Bull [DVD]
Bunny & The Bull [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Hogg
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars "Is this supposed to be comedy?", 8 May 2010
This review is from: Bunny & The Bull [DVD] (DVD)
Odd. Weird. Slightly surreal. Pointless. I can't write an in-depth review about this movie as there's not much to tell you about it, in-that there's not really a plot to speak-of and no memorable dialog. If you read the synopsis it sounds like Bunny and the Bull could be an interesting road trip movie, however it's anything but.

In fact, it is billed as a comedy, but that didn't stop two people walking into the room while I was watching it and simultaneously saying: "Is this supposed to be a comedy?" I think that says it all really, but to embellish the point, you would be best thinking of it as a drama and not something to make you laugh out loud every few minutes.

The writer and director of Bunny and the Bull is one of the people behind TV's cult comedy hit The Mighty Boosh, which is something I'm definitely not fond of; instincts should therefore have warned me off this film, but I gave it a go anyway. The only advice I can give to potential viewers is: if you too don't 'get'/ enjoy/ understand/ find funny the likes of The Mighty Boosh and The League of Gentlemen, then I suggest you steer clear of this tripe.

All that said, I actually enjoyed Noel Fielding's standout cameo character... which is a cruel thing to add to the end of such a negative review, because it might make you buy or rent BATB just to see him! (Hint: it's not worth it)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2010 10:01 PM BST

Paranormal Activity [DVD]
Paranormal Activity [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katie Featherston
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull is not the word, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Paranormal Activity [DVD] (DVD)
Okay, just go and film your girlfriend/ boyfriend doing nothing but sleeping and discussing spiritual stuff for a few weeks, edit it into a movie and hey presto! You will have your own version of this film.

This movie is absolutely terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE. Nothing happens... and that's coming from someone who's been known to watch the Big Brother live feed, where the housemates are often asleep! Seriously, very little happens throughout - least of all any recognisable paranormal activity - and I didn't find it at all suspenseful or scary. So... a door slammed a couple of times. Big deal.

Some films are hampered by a bad plot, terrible acting etc, but they pale in comparison to this. I can't tell you anything about what happens or what was said by the main characters, because - let me re-iterate it again - literally nothing happens.

Also, the two lead actors are very unconvincing at times, which lends the film a very amateurish feel when combined with the fact that it was shot on a handheld camera. Unfortunately the sound appears to have been recorded on the same, so it's a bit muffled and unclear.

No disrespect, but from their glowing reviews I can only assume that the majority of the Amazon reviewers are ardent fans of the horror genre, rather than 'general film buffs' like myself. Personally, I feel like I've just wasted an hour-and-an-half of my life, and it has nothing to do with me not understanding a particular genre or the fact that Paranormal Activity is a low-budget film.

NB. I reviewed the Theatrical version above; I couldn't be bothered to watch the 'Alternate' version, which may or may not be more interesting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2010 3:41 PM BST