Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for jameswho > Reviews

Content by jameswho

jameswho

Diary of a Wombat
Diary of a Wombat
by Jackie French

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books (and I'm 20!), 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Diary of a Wombat (Paperback)
I went to a 21st birthday party where we all brought along a picture book to read to everyone (in the idea of 21 being the year where we say goodbye to our childhood years). This book had everyone on the ground with laughter. Wonderful illustrations, and well written, and so enjoyable! I bought boardbook copy for my nephew because I enjoy it so much. Brilliant.

I Want My Hat Back
I Want My Hat Back
by Jon Klassen

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight!, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
It's so confusing when you're in a bookstore, looking at the seeming millions of picture books that are stacked in no apparent order, in a wide variety of shapes, paper textures, some hard cover, others not, some board books... argh!

But occasionally a book stands out for no apparent reasons, so you pick it up and give it a look.

This was one of those books. It's absolutely delightful; a simple read that had me laughing, and will no doubt give anyone who reads it joy. Very highly recommended.

Introducing Sociolinguistics
Introducing Sociolinguistics
by Miriam Meyerhoff

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, comprehensive read, 18 Aug. 2011
This book is a fantastic resource for anyone studying a sociolinguistics course, or even those just interested in it. There's a lot of information, but it's not overwhelming; Meyerhoff writes engagingly without skimping on depth. The tie-ins with the website and the reader are also great if you feel like reading a little more widely. Seriously recommended.

Skin
Skin
by Ted Dekker

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Skin (Hardcover)
When I read this book, it had been a while since I'd read a book by Dekker: I started "Adam" and read about 1/3rd of it before putting it down and not returning.

And then I read this.

Mind: blown.

I read this until I couldn't stay awake any longer, then picked it straight up again the next morning. Absolutely rivetting.

And, of course, the best thing Dekker does is the connecting it all up.

Excellent book.