Profile for RayG > Reviews

Content by RayG

RayG

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
innovative (& cool!) Japanese quality scissors / cutters, 4-in-1 combi blade (see VIDEO in ad) cuts leather, solid wire, CDs, thick rope + more. Engineer ph-55
Offered by Export Japan 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Has a basic wire stripper., 14 Aug. 2016
I wondered why these have a slot in one of the blades. There seems to be no mention of it. If you look carefully, when closed, the gap tapers from one end to the other. I can confirm that this works as an insulation stripper. Position the wire according to its thickness, nip the insulation at 2 or 3 places around the wire then pull it off. The slot isn't big enough to take whole mains cable but it will strip the individual conductors.

That aside these seem to be good, solid scissors. The cover means you can put them in a pocket or tool pouch with relative safety. The moulding looks gimmicky but is actually functional - it improves the grip a lot.

It might be a good idea if these were available in a hi-viz colour as many engineer's tools are, but I'm happy with the discrete 'military' green.

Wera 05073599001 Torx Key Set 967 SPKL/9 TORX BO Multicolour Tamper-proof/Ballend, TX8-40, 9-Piece

5.0 out of 5 stars I did not notice a couple of things when ordering., 30 July 2016
1) The three smallest keys (8,9,10) do not have ball-ends. Not sure if that's any great loss even though I use 10mm regularly.
2) The clip has a built-in magnetiser/demagnetiser!
The set is also more compact than I expected (esp compared to the hex key set I already had Wera 05073593001 Hex-Plus Hex Key Set 950 SPKL/9 High Torque Mulicolour with Ball-end, Metric Long 1.5 mm-10 mm, 9-Piece )

In my book that's a win.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 Easy Clean Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 Easy Clean Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic battery life (1 month.), 27 July 2016
I gave this a FULL charge when I got it - it took more than 24 hours (I left it for a day and a half.)
Since then I've used it for about 8 minutes a day, and it has lasted a whole month with no sign of slowdown! OK, some of that included the easy-start ramp up in power, but even after that it far exceeded the claimed battery life.
It flashed to show low charge this morning. Popped it on the charger, it was charged by the time I got back from work.
I plan to charge it every 2 weeks from now on to keep the battery in good condition.

It annoys me that you can't change the batteries in electric toothbrushes. But if used regularly and charged properly, the signs are this should last a very long time.

Ledlenser SEO5-RD LED Head Torch (Red) - Test-it Pack, 6106
Ledlenser SEO5-RD LED Head Torch (Red) - Test-it Pack, 6106

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I need of it, but stick to alkaline batteries., 26 July 2016
Great torch. Have had mine a year now, used for work where I have to stick my head in dark places. The combination of bright /dim modes plus the zoom feature makes it very versatile.

My only criticism is it doesn't play nice with rechargeable batteries. It works with them but oh so soon you get the red flashing that warns you the batteries are low even though they have plenty of charge. It must deeply dislike the lower voltage of rechargeables. After all the drop to 3.6V from 4.5V is asking a lot for it to deal with.

Olight® i3E EOS Tiny EDC LED Keyring Torch(Silver 120 lumens,other colors are 90 lumens) AAA EDC Flash Light Compact Keychain Flashlight Updated Version of Olight i3S Key Ring Torches Light(Black,Silver,Green,Red,Purple,Blue 6 Colors for Your Choice)Black
Offered by Olight® Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Only torch you need?, 17 July 2016
I just can't believe how good this torch is. Most people will know by now that LED torches make the old incandescent bulb torches seem like a joke, but who would have thought that something this tiny could put out so much light?
For many people this could be the only torch they need, it really is that bright. Unless you are doing outdoor / distance work this will light whatever you need. I have the silver version, so a little brighter than the other versions, but I imagine they all do amazingly well. I'll probably buy a black one as a spare. Tbh this is actually too bright for close up work in confined spaces, so the lower power version may even become my main.

Umbrella PLEMO Automatic Folding Umbrella Telescopic Rustproof Brolly, High Density Waterproof Fabric, Aluminum Ribs Shaft, Durable Construction, 44.5 inch, 113 cm Diameter (Green)
Offered by PLEMO UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, practical and well made., 20 Jun. 2016
Opens smoothly when you press the button. Press it again and the canopy collapses - rather snappily, but safely because the shaft stays extended until you push it closed. You can do this by pulling on the slider inside, or pushing the end of the umbrella. You can obviously push against the floor or a wall if you like, making the whole process one-handed if you need. But even while the shaft is still extended the umbrella width has shrunk and it is manageable, e.g. for walking indoors.

For some reason I feared the opening would be violent, to prepare for the closing phase, but it is not.
Oh - and when you close the shaft you don't have to worry about it zooming out if you don't do it all the way at once. There is a ratchet mechanism so you can close it a tiny bit at a time. Much better than automatic umbrellas I've used before that caught me out by exploding outwards when I thought they had been fully closed.

It is an ingenious design and seems well engineered. My only concern is whether such a complicated mechanism will last long. But impressions are that it will be reliable.

AmazonBasics Hard Black Carrying Case for 5-Inch / 12.7 cm Sat Navs
AmazonBasics Hard Black Carrying Case for 5-Inch / 12.7 cm Sat Navs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size for holding sat nav and phone., 19 Jun. 2016
TomTom Go 5100 fits perfectly into the mesh pocket. It goes in either way but with the screen facing away from the mesh it is easier to take out and the screen is protected from any extras you put in the case.

Some people are saying this case is larger than needed but it's actually perfect for my needs, because I can also put in my phone (Samsung S5 Neo) which is in a leather case. (I have a work phone and don't want to carry two phones while I'm doing work, but I do want to keep it in my vehicle tucked away in a safe place with the sat nav.)

For comparison, I was previously using a Peli 1040 case Peli 1040 Micro Case - Clear with Red Liner for this purpose. That was about the same size - slightly bigger, more solid, but more conspicuous. And noisy if it slid around and hit things. This Amazon case is more appropriate for the task.

OXO Good Grips Soft Handled Can Opener
OXO Good Grips Soft Handled Can Opener

4.0 out of 5 stars Check it's the type you want!, 24 Jan. 2016
This does what it does well. But I wish I hadn't bought it. It cuts through the top of the can. It has been so long since I used this type that I'd forgotten they existed. It feels like going back to the dark ages. I can't give it a bad rating though, it's my own fault for not thinking to check. But I'm astonished that the best selling can opener on Amazon is one of this type - especially when it isn't particularly cheap.

MegaFlare Emergency Flashing Warning Flare LED Light Beacon Rechargeable YELLOW
MegaFlare Emergency Flashing Warning Flare LED Light Beacon Rechargeable YELLOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Yellow version really is yellow! Good choice if you want an 'amber' light., 7 Jan. 2016
Works well. Has several modes, some constant, some flashing, some bright, some dimmer. A favourite mode can be saved by turning off with a long press; when you power back on it will be in that same mode. Yellow version really is yellow, I'm uploading a photo showing the difference to a competitor's beacon that might be assumed to be amber but is in fact red (with possible legal implications for road use.)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Relax Melodies Premium: A White Noise Ambience For Sleep, Meditation & Yoga
Relax Melodies Premium: A White Noise Ambience For Sleep, Meditation & Yoga

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me., 27 Oct. 2014
Great app for 'signalling' your mind that it's time to sleep. Good selection of sounds, noises, chants and some music, that you can combine flexibly. Many are useful for masking background noise. Timer shuts it off after a time you choose.
Works reliably, unlike a similar app I have, which has lovely piano music but tends to stop dead between tracks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3