Profile for Mrs. V. J. Low > Reviews

Content by Mrs. V. J. Low

Mrs. V. J. Low (Finchingfield, Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Floral / Flower Design Fold Up Shopping Bag In Pouch With Clip Attachment - Design 2
Offered by Cygnet Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Stronger than at first appears!, 6 Jan. 2016
I am pleased with the fold up shopping bags I purchased. However I was disappointed to receive all the same design for all three when I had requested three different designs. Nevertheless, the product is good.

BestSteam Clothes Steamer, 3.0 Litre Tank, Top Rated Commercial Grade Garment Steamer
Offered by Displaysense

5.0 out of 5 stars Dashing away with the steamer ........., 6 Jan. 2016
This was bought as a gift for my daughter. She is very pleased with it and said that she would give it five stars! As I already have a steamer myself (different manufacturer) I believe it takes a while to get used to steaming garments to get the best results. However my daughter seemed very pleased with the results on her first use.

Unbroken
Unbroken

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbroken, 20 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Unbroken (Kindle Edition)
Despite not having heard of Louis Zamperini I found the story of his achievements, his courage and fortitude very inspiring. The biography is a real page turner and well written. Whether this book was a success in the UK I don't recall but it should be. An excellent book about a very brave man -- well worth reading.

Isaac's Storm: The Drowning of Galveston, 8 September 1900
Isaac's Storm: The Drowning of Galveston, 8 September 1900
by Erik Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Drowning of Galveston, 10 Oct. 2015
This is the second of Erik Larson's books I have read and it did not disappoint. The author has a great way of building up to the climax of the disaster in Galveston in 1900 and delivers the story with impact. I had only vaguely heard of the Great Storm of Galveston in 1900 and it was only after having read 'Dead Wake' and talking to a bookseller that I learned that 'Isaac's Storm' was about this disaster. It is a truly great read and extremely moving. Along with 'Dead Wake' this is the best book I have read for a long time. A brilliant read although heart rending when one reads of the many lives lost.

Mrs. Hemingway
Mrs. Hemingway

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Hemingway - A Jolly Good Read!, 5 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Mrs. Hemingway (Kindle Edition)
I was not expecting to enjoy this book - but I loved it and it has opened a new interest for me. I knew very little about Ernest Hemingway before reading this book, and although this is fiction, a lot of details are factual and inspired me to read more about this 'love him or hate him' man. Naomi Wood writes in a very easy manner and although this is classed as fiction she has done a lot of research.

A very good and interesting read.

The Lie
The Lie

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read chick lit!, 5 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
This book starts out full of promise but did not deliver. I found it difficult to believe and was disappointed at a rather weak ending. However it was easy to read and in the vein of most 'thrillers' of to-day. Sorry not for me.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
by Erik Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautifully told Tragedy., 5 Sept. 2015
I knew very little about the sinking of The Lusitania but was intrigued to find out more. Erik Larson writes so well that you are drawn in to the history of this tragic disaster. He gives a short life history of Captain Turner, and of various passengers who were on the luxurious liner which makes it all the more heart rending.

Although this disaster took place one hundred years ago one feels the sadness and desperation of the tragedy. In writing not only the British and American sides of the story we are also able to read the log book of the German submarine which torpedoed the Lusitania, which is enlightening. This story stays with you and the strength of the people who not only lived but those who lost their lives lingers on. Well worth reading and beautifully and sympathetically told.

I look forward to reading Erik Larson's other books - if they are as well written as this they will be a great read.

Child 44
Child 44

5.0 out of 5 stars A Taste of Stalinist Russia, 18 May 2015
This review is from: Child 44 (Kindle Edition)
I read a few pages of this book and was hooked. Admittedly it has gruesome and horrific passages but life was tough in Stalinist Russia. It really gives a taste of what life was like in that era in Russia. A brilliant story and well written.

Monet (Famous Painters Book 4)
Monet (Famous Painters Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Pictures, 4 Mar. 2015
This is brilliant. Many pictures new to me. Can't go wrong with this. Excellent. Good reproduction of many paintings - like having a mini Monet art gallery with you.

Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town
Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Beard is excellent., 20 Feb. 2015
This book is so well written. Mary Beard makes Pompeii come alive. Unfortunately I missed her TV programme on Pompeii but this is excellent and written with a sense of humour too. Brilliant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3