Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Vincent Ng > Reviews

Content by Vincent Ng

Vincent Ng

Page: 1 | 2
Tonbux Full HD WiFi Invisible Dash Cam 1080P HD Vehicle Camera Recorder 170 Degree Wide Viewing Angle Accident Video Proof Video Recorder
Offered by OUNUODIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but do required a bit of knowledge for installation, 6 Mar. 2017
At my new address, I no longer have a driveway to park my car, therefore I'll be parking on street. For months, I was looking for a Dash Cam that either detached and re-attached easily OR something that's inconspicuous OR something that glued heavily to the windscreen so people will think twice before attempting to steal it. I mean, having the Dash Cam stolen isn't that big of a deal, but imagine you had to deal with a broken car window... (touch wood). So I decided to give this Dash Cam a try.

Although the Dash Cam itself might look like one complete unit, but it can separated into 3 parts:
1. The tail section (See picture)
2. The sticker section - after you take off the tail, the thin layer of plastic (with 3M tape on top) can be slide away from the camera.
3. The camera.

At first, when I read the instructions on installation, it says DETACH YOUR REAR MIRROR. Well DON'T!!!! Simply take off the tail section. Slide it over your rear mirror. Determine where you want to stick the Dash Cam and mark it with a marker. Detach the camera from the 3M plastic. Stick the 3M plastic onto the windscreen and re-assemble everything.

Next you'll need to run the wire the Dash Cam to your fusebox - tug the wire along the rum of the roof then down the window's pillar.

Wiring was a bit tricky. There are 3 wires which you'll have to attach:
1. Black - Earth wire same as the Negative wire, which you'll have to attach to the car body or any metal part of the car. Just make sure it attaches firmly and not over paint.
2. Yellow with a silver tag that says B+, this is the constant wire. Basically supplies constant positive to the Dash Cam. You'll have to search for a mini fuse that supplies positive even the car is powered off. Central lock, Fuse for Headlights, Horn, ECU would be ideal. Since the end of the yellow wire is a blue mini fuse, anything less than 15 Amp will work (just take out the one in the fuse box, replace with the blue fuse on the yellow wire).
3. Red with a silver tag that says ACC. What this wire does is when there's power going into this wire, it switches the Dash Cam ON. So ideally, you'll want to attach it to something that gets power after you flip the ignition key to second click, say the fuse for Electric Assist Power Steering, Fuel Pump, Windscreen wiper, heated rear screen etc... Again, the red wire had a blue 15 amp mini fuse, replace an existing fuse in the fuse box with 15 amp or less

There is a fourth wire, a yellow RCA with a silver tag that says Camera In. Say you have a LCD display in your car, you can attach this wire to the LCD's AV-IN and watch what's recorded without using a mobile phone. So it is Optional - mine is just hanging in mid air right now.

After you've connected everything, insert a microSD card and fire up your car. The Dash Cam's setting will have to be accessed by an APP called FinalCam. It is available to both Android and IOS (mine being Android). Password for the Dash Cam is 88888888 (Eight 8). To switch off recording (so you can apply the settings), I just press the record button on the App (the circle at centre bottom of the screen) until the button stop flashing.

Installation can be tricky for anyone who never handled car electronic. If that's the case, I would suggest you go to youtube and watch some Hardwire DashCam video and see if you are comfortable in DIY. Note, you do not need an adaptor, this DashCam operates at 12v, your car also operates at 12v, so you do not need an adaptor to step up or down any voltage. Installation took me 30 minutes.

So far, everything seems to be great - good quality video, a camera that's hidden behind the mirror so it doesn't obstruct your view when driving. Outside the car, the Camera seems to be further secured by the rear mirror plus a massive 3M sticker on the windscreen, stealing without damaging the camera seems to be impossible.

Finally, a Dash Cam that can be Plug-In then Forget... until the moment of road accident... which I hope it will never happened.
Comment Comment | Permalink

AA Windscreen Frost Protection and Sun Shield
AA Windscreen Frost Protection and Sun Shield

4.0 out of 5 stars Measure the size of your windscreen before you purchase!!!, 6 Dec. 2016
As you can tell by the picture, there are 2 circular wires that are stitch into the cover. The last thing you want, is to find your windscreen were too small and having to tug a proportion of the circle into the car door. Unfortunately, this is what happened to me (to my Renault Clio MK2). Not only I had to fight with the cover to tug it in, but the wire act as spring pushes the middle of the cover up making it kind of useless.

The Size of this cover? The wire circles has a diameter of 65cm each. There's a 10cm gap between the 2 circles. So ideally, this cover fits onto a windscreen FROM 140cm width to say 180cm (although beyond 146cm will make some of the glass exposed). For height, it will be the diameter of the circle (65) plus 2cm each at top and bottom so 65 - 69cm. Any taller windscreen will mean some of the top or bottom will not be covered.

As for storage, first fold the cover at the centre so the 2 circles overlap each other (so you only had to deal with one big circle). Locate the elastic band (I prefer to slip by palm though it so it's easier to find). Twist and compress the big circle into smaller circle then wrap the elastic band round it to secure it. Opening is the reverse of closing but careful as there's a real chance for the spring wires to hit your face.

In terms of the cover material, it is actually kind of clothy and thin. It is not difficult to see why as it will have be bend miraculously for every storage. However, it does it job just fine (when I fight for it long enough so it doesn't pop up much on my over small windscreen).

Hands free Bluetooth Receiver Car Kit,Upintek 3.5mm Bluetooth Audio Music Receiver AUX Playing Free Calling In Car Bluetooth Receiver Kit
Offered by Upintek

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for the Bluetooth Receiver ONLY (Not the FM transmitter variant), 31 Oct. 2016
This Bluetooth receiver was well beyond my expectation. My initial idea was getting a gadget that can steam music from my phone and answering call by using my car's original head unit. Not only this Bluetooth receiver does just that, but the sound quality shocks me.

The Digital to Analog converter in this receiver was so good that it completely out performs my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) in terms of Maximum sound Volume / Clarity and Bass. I mean, both my Phone and this receiver connects to the head unity by a 3.5mm Analog headphone jack, but you can tell right away which is which.

Phone call quality was excellent too (according to what I was told: loud and clear with no background noises).

I do have a couple of issues here and there, e.g:
1. Need to set the volume on the phone to Max (but this is standard procedure for connecting any audio device anyway).
2. Songs doesn't auto play when you start the car (more of an app related issue).
3. Music random stuttering - this is an Android 5.0 problem (the phone itself).

It would be even better if there was a buffer in the receiver that can filter out the stuttering, but none of the receiver out there had this functionality anyway... so I could be asking too much.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase (the square within square looking Bluetooth 4.0 hand-free) and I would recommend it to anyone that would like to upgrade their car's head unit while keeping everything-else original.

Accfly 3.0 inch Screen Zinc Alloy Metal Body Car DVR FULL 1080P HD with 170 Degree Ultra Wide-angle Lens G-sensor Parking Monitor
Offered by CamTech-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a budget Dash Cam, 7 Sept. 2016
At the time when I bought this Dash Cam, there were only 2 five stars review, so it is kind of a gamble. Personally, I think I was on the winning side. Please note the following:

1. The instruction manual is poorly translated from Chinese to English. It is possible to work out what it tries to tell you. Just filled with grammar mistake that's all...

2. You need a decently fast MicroSD card (Class 6 or Above written on the Chinese side). It turns out that the one recommended by Amazon wasn't fast enough (Kingston 32GB UHS Class 1/Class 10), which makes the cam constantly crash on me. An easy fix was install the one on my phone (Samsung 32 EVO) into the Dash Cam.

3. DO NOT expect you can see car's number plate clearly in the video unless they are within 5 meters. In fact, I don't think any Dash Cam under 30 pound have this capability (I could be wrong).

4. The camera angle is not exactly 170. Personally I would say about 140 but still good since I had one that was 30 to 45... (Too bad that wasn't purchased on Amazon otherwise I would have returned it right away)

But at the end of the day, it does record / recycle spaces automatically with reasonable quality both at day and night-time driving. So I'm fairly happy.

A couple of screenshots from recorded videos. (Note I'm using a Head-Up-Display, that's why there are speeds on the lower right corner)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard for Windows® XP, Windows Vista® , Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 - QWERTY, UK Layout, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars A hit or miss, you want to gamble?, 2 Jan. 2015
This keyboard served me great for the initial 7 months. Wireless, rechargeable, Solar power, even the keys on the keyboard felt just perfect. It was everything I would have hoped for. So, what happened? 4 weeks ago, my keyboard loses charges extremely quickly.

For the initial 7 months, the keyboard power never felt below 90%. Then one day, a warning message pop-up saying the power in my keyboard is getting low?!?! It could be I was playing First-person shooters in the last couple of days. So I drop it beside the windows for a bit of boost. The battle for charging continues for about a week, eventually, the keyboard only works when I place it under a desk lamp. I then do a bit of google-ing.

The battery inside the keyboard is a Maxell ML2032, Different from a regular CR2032 that's found on most PC motherboard, the ML2032 is a rechargeable model. The ML2032 has a rechargeable life cycle of 10% at 1000 times or 20% at 300 times. So in a desirable environment (where it rarely lose charges), people can use it for a year or 2 without problem. However frequently, many user like myself will hit that limit in 5 to 8 months time.

And when the battery dies, you can:
1. Treat it like a pure solar power keyboard. Don't let it gets dark.
2. Replace the battery, say eBay for £6 every 6 months?
3. Contact Logitech and with the 3 year warranty. It has the privilege to travel around once every 5 to 8 months?

I've decided to go for the new battery. With the new battery, Day 1, it says 100%. Day 2, it says 70%. Day 3, 40%, I leave it on a sun facing windows for 3 hours and pump the battery back up to 59%. I don't know, I might have to contact Logitech soon if the battery level doesn't improve.

At the main time, I'm using a £5 wired keyboard.
I hate to say, I never expect I would be in this situation after I've spent that £40+ on a Keyboard. Which I hope it would last more than 4 years...

Update: Apparently, there seems to be 2 version of this keyboard. One equipped with 3v ML2303 which seems to be an older version (also far less reliable). Then there's another one equipped with 3.6v LiR2032 which seems less likely to die within 4 to 8 months.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2016 6:11 PM GMT

Cooler Master GeminII M4 Ultra Slim Universal CPU Cooler with (120mm) Fan
Cooler Master GeminII M4 Ultra Slim Universal CPU Cooler with (120mm) Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 2 Feb. 2014
I want a heat-pipe design heat-sink not only disperse the heat away from my CPU, but also cool the components around it. This heat-sink brought the temperature on my i5-4570 to 36C idle, 53C under load, what's more, it also bring down the heat on the CPU voltage regulator from 65C to 43C. It does so silently, almost like a fan-less heat-sink.

There are 2 problems however:

1. This heat-sink is huge. And will very likely to obstruct your Ram. I'm using G.Skill Ripjaws and the heat-sink (fan section) just sat on top of one. Right now its fine, but it I was to get the that ram out, I would have to take off the fan or the heat-sink out completely.

2. Installation requires you to get to the back of your motherboard. For some people, it would means you'll have to uproot your motherboard.

Corsair Air Series AF140-LED 140mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan - Blue (Single Pack)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quiet but not silent, 2 Feb. 2014
I was hoping this fan can achieve silent effect (with the help of fan controller of course), but it just can't. Even at the lowest setting (5v), this fan emits a small buzzing sound which comes from either the bearing or brushes. So the noise is there soon as the blade spins.

5v + daytime, when background noises are stronger, you generally don't realise it buzz(s). At night time however, if you mount this fan to the front of the case, you can hear it within 1.5 meter.

So if you want a quiet fan or one for the back exhaust, this one does the job. But if you were going for a silent system, or something that mounts to the front, I would try a different one.

Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable headset, 30 Dec. 2011
With Windows 7, there's no need to install any software. Just plug in the USB, let Windows does all the detection. After a restart, it works straight away with MSN / Skype. (It does comes with a software CD, but there's just no need for it).

In terms of quality, it is the standard type of thing you would expect from Microsoft. Not absolutely perfect, but generally good, and certainly nothing that you could have complained for £15.

A good product in general.

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future
by Seraphim Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for Christians, not surprising for the others., 23 Aug. 2010
I was recommended to this book by some Christian, who said this book will guide me towards Christianity. So I accepted the challenge and see what the book says.

One of the primary arguments which the writer put forward was life after death: if you do not believe in Christ, you’ll end up in hell. Where is the scientific evidence?

Step back from Atheism, what does other religions says? How about cyclical theory under Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism, i.e. the very same thing Jesus taught Nicodemus (see John 3:1-36). Then samsara? Pure Land?

The author also grabs a handful of other radical examples such as Buddhist monk who set himself on fire, witchcraft performed by Taoism in Southern Asia which by no mean represents every Taoism in the world, collapse of a Hinduism sacred place during his visit.

Christianity is under attack or influenced by other religions… but doesn’t Christian attack or influences others too? Typical example: for everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus, you’ll end up in hell. Is that different from a curse? Just because I do not believe in you, you are cursing me to go to hell. Oh that is fair.

In my opinion, this book is nothing more than typical Christian prejudice view towards other religions, based on the fathers' (the writers') limited understanding. If you were a Christian, I'm sure you'll buy most of the facts in this book. For myself, I see a world beyond Christianity and this book did not change me by a tiny margin.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars A cheap PSU but..., 5 Jan. 2010
When you shop around for a Power Supply, a conventional rule is look for something that's at least 10p per Watt. Now, this one being 3.5p Per Watt you know what you are looking at.

The 12v rail on this power supply is subject to a maximum of 20Amp (12v x 20A = 240w). So strictly speaking, you are looking at 250 - 300w Power Supply (regardness the fact it calls itself 500w). In fact, the sticker on the PSU suggest 5v has a maximum of 40Amp which is absolutely nonsense.

So if you were looking for something which can supply power to a decent CPU and A NOT SO ENERGY CONSUMING Graphic Card then this might do the job. But if you truely believe this baby can deliver 500w then might just well forget it.

P.S: There are numerous PSU out there that CAN NOT deliver its power rating. And not surprisingly, all happens to be CHEAP ones. If you want to shop for a good solid PSU, as well as prepare to pay more, look for something with a 80PLUS mark on it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2015 1:31 PM GMT