Profile for Domina mia > Reviews

Content by Domina mia

Domina mia "Domina" (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Postnatal Rescue [DVD]
Postnatal Rescue [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Denton

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is the sixth star???, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Postnatal Rescue [DVD] (DVD)
After several years of avoiding any sort of post natal exercise, I decided to take the plunge as my body has certainly nOT 'snapped back'!

I chose this because it sounded interesting, and the reviews I had read were good. Oh and the 15 minutes a day thing REALLY appealed.

OMG I love this!! For someone who has never exercised in her life, and even all these years since having my son, this is already working, just 2 weeks in.

She is NOT patronising, she is simply telling you the stuff you need to hear, in a light-hearted sort of way. Just like the personal trainer she is. The intro is a tad cheesy (Hollywood husband anyone??) but she comes across as a mum who sympathises with the balance needed to juggle family and exercise. Yes she can come across as a bit bossy but honestly most of us need a kick up the behind to get rid of the mummy tummy and get our fitness on track.

I would give this 6/5 if it were possible, and shall be looking to purchase other dvds if I can find some compatible with UK dvd players. Excellent

The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children 6)
The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children 6)
by Jean M. Auel

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear Mother ...., 5 April 2014
I thought I was the only one, exiled from my Tribe, cast out by the Mother, all for the sin of hating (yes, hating) this book.

But, it seems I am not alone!

The repetition, the repetition, the relentless reiteration of things that happened 4 books ago. The constant surprise at her foreigness (even from people who have lived with her for years) and the tea. Why does brewing her tea require so much space??? (ah yes, padding). The Mother's SOng, repeated constantly. We don't need this!! We need a story, without the anachronisms (would someone in the Paleolithic really have so many possessions that they would have the equivalent of a yard sale?); the most glaring of which was the outbreak of measles in a World where the inhabitants did not have frequent close proximity with cattle. What is she doing I wondered to myself, but kept persevering.

It didn't get any better, what with the characters changing completely from previous books, and the sudden imposition of modern (in the sense of from the last 5000 years of moral codes. Why does Ayla abandon the sick/dying when she previously would have ministered to them? Why doesn't the community as a whole care for the abandoned/motherless children? Why do w have so many pages dedicated to the artistic merit of various caves/paintings and yet so little genuine original speculation as to their meaning (saying "oo they are so old we can't possibly even guess as to their meanings is not what I have come to expect; if written 20 years ago she would have been speculating and coming up with refreshing new theories) and what the heck happened to timelines remaining consistent?? So far as I could tell (and I could be wring) at least 20 years passed since CoTCB and yet Ayla is still portrayed as incredibly youthful at the same time that her contemporaries are ageing normally. No, so glad I got this at the library; I wouldn't buy it.

I understand that Ms Auel is trying to explain where the matriarchy started to dissolve, and trying to inject a degree of 'realism' into the long term relationship between Jondalar and Ayla but none of this works in context to the first few books. She turns an epic into a soap opera in skins, where people cannot evolve (I agree wholeheartedly about the lack of copying the domestication of further animals); I was also expecting Ayla to become the model for goddess images found contemporaneously and becoming a prototype for the @Lady of the Animals' found throughout Central/Western Europe even until relatively recently, but no; she turns into a selfish 'holy woman who is portrayed as the Eve who precipitated patriarchy. Sorry, no.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 11:13 PM GMT

Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
by Lauren Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 11 Feb. 2014
I am NOT a gym rat/bunny but realised that now I am in my mid-forties, I need to up the ante to stay in shape, so I bought a few books over the last year. This is the last book I bought, simply because it is clear, tailored to a woman's body and doesn't require hundreds of repetitions (like callanetics does).

And WOW!!! I am into my third week and can already see that my tummy is already flatter, my arms have muscle, and my bingo wings, while not flying away, are definitely a tiny bit smaller every day.

It DOES require a bit of space, but is by far and away the best body weight book I have ever bought. It really does only take minutes a week, and I can feel the difference 24 hours after exercising.

Looking forward to how I'll feel and look in a few weeks' time!!

I LOVE IT!!!

Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the DUrbervilles (Professor Moriarty Novels)
Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the DUrbervilles (Professor Moriarty Novels)
by Kim Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Newman does it again ....., 5 Oct. 2011
Not a lot more to say really - well-written, funny and oh-so NOT Holmes and Watson. I devoured this book (a novel disguised as a series of short stories) and read it a second time, all within 2 days. I can't recommend it highly enough. Just amazing.

The Core Programme: Fifteen Minutes Excercise A Day That Can Change Your Life
The Core Programme: Fifteen Minutes Excercise A Day That Can Change Your Life
by Peggy Brill

5.0 out of 5 stars Really "Brill", 6 Sept. 2011
I love this book. Well-written, deceptively easy exercises and - as it says - takes even me 15 minutes to do each programme. Oh and it works :-P

Ghosts of Manhattan
Ghosts of Manhattan
by George Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick, deft pastiche/homage with lots of super steampunk, 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Ghosts of Manhattan (Paperback)
I read "The Affinity Bridge" after buying it on impulse and, after a coupe of false starts REALLY enjoyed it. Hence buying this on the back of it. I love it - it is smart, sassy, past-paced and has everything a good, fun adventure should have - a handsome but flawed hero, a beautiful sassy heroine and a huge dollop of steampunk laced with Cthuluesque supernaturalism. I even thought the alternative "caped crusader" was a fun touch. I can only hope this is not a "one off".

Lose Your Mummy Tummy: Flatten Your Stomach Now Using the Groundbreaking Tupler Technique
by Julie Tupler

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give 6 stars tbh, 6 Aug. 2009
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Not being enamoured of exercise I was pretty devastated to realise that 12 weeks pp I still looked 7 months pregnant. I hadn't put on heaps of weight and was doing crunches and, yet, my tummy just wouldn't flatten out. Then my health visitor mentioned diastasis recti and the fact that muscles separated by the pregnancy don't always return. I happened across a forum for mums and this book was mentioned.

My separation has gone from 10 cm to 5 cm within 30 days of starting the programme. My tummy looks about the same but I am not expecting it to flatten significantly until the separation is closed.

Body Hug Breast/Bottle Feeding and Maternity Pillow with Restore® Memory Foam Crumb Filling and Waterproof Inner Liner from ExtraComfort

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!, 23 Jun. 2009
If there were more stars I would give 11/10 for this product.

It is comfortable, versatile and light enough to carry around the house. I even use it as a pillow and comforter at night.

If there is any downside it is that it is VERY warm so if you are pregnant now you might want to look at getting it for the cooler months as a b/feeding pillow. I like the warm so am fine but can imagine that people might find it a bit TOO cosy on warm Summer nights. Other than that though it is PERFECT.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Proportions scupper sizing, 23 Jun. 2009
I bought this in the hope that it would help my back and tone issues after giving birth. I ordered the medium and the small as my waist measurements are in the upper size, but only just,and figured that as i lost weight I could phase down into the small. I find that the medium is ok in relation to fitting over the top of my hims and smoothing the lower belly, but is too small for the upper abdomen, creating a pocket which bulges out. The small is great over the upper part of my abdomen but is too snall for the lower, creating what amounts to a ridged corset-shpaed garment which holds my top bit of loose skin in but pushes the lower belly out. I do think thy have helped my posture and hence have contributed some core recovery but I am not entirely sure that I have received value for money. I would say fine if you are narrow hippd anyway as this will mean you fit the shape fo the garment and sizing will be more accurate. If you are big hipped then I am not sure that this is the way to go.

Skechers Womens Tone Ups Fun Flops
Skechers Womens Tone Ups Fun Flops

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, 23 Jun. 2009
The most comfortable pair of sandals ever.

I don't usually go for toe post shoes but having recently had a baby I decided to give these a go as I am on my feet for much of the day. Yes they are a little on the big side (but then I hate the feeling of my toes falling over the edge of sandals so not a bad thing in my opinion) but other than that I put them on and automatically found my posture improved and my feet felt less so re than they have done for weeks.

If I have time I will review the other claims regarding fitness/tone but simply from the comfort point of view I will crank the approval up to 11!!

Page: 1 | 2