Profile for LittleMoon > Reviews

Content by LittleMoon

LittleMoon (loving my life in the rain)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HALTI Retractable Lead, Medium, Purple
HALTI Retractable Lead, Medium, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong, durable, colourful lead, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Current (bright pink!) retractable dog lead is showing its age so jumped at the chance to try out this purple lead from Halti for our miniature Jack Russell. The lead is a medium and though it is probably ideal for a slightly bigger dog than ours the lead is still perfectly functional.

Really impressed with the stop button mechanism and its ease of use, simply depressing the button once to lock and pressing again to unlock the lead – very simple. Also like the addition of the reflective strip and though we don’t often walk the dog in the dark, it is a useful safety feature for those who do.

If there is one tiny feature that this lead does not have but which our current lead does, it is the ‘hold’ function, whereby you can simply press the button and it does not lock but it does stop the lead from running out. The lock feature does exactly the same job of course, but just requires that extra press of the button – not really an issue.

All in all, the lead is very comfortable to hold and the product quality is first class; it feels strong and durable, and the colour is vibrant and fun.

Scotch 19 mm x 7.62 m Flip Dispenser with Magic Tape 810
Scotch 19 mm x 7.62 m Flip Dispenser with Magic Tape 810

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tape, daft dispenser, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Scotch tape, less visually invasive than sellotape and you can write on it. It’s great. I chose this product because I like to use this type of tape for gift wrapping and I was interested in what it would be like to have a dispenser. To be honest, I usually just have the roll of tape, with a tiny corner of the end folded over, in my stationery box and that’s fine.

The dispenser comes with a roll of tape inside: 19mm x 7.62m. Mine is blue and I’m not sure there’s an option on the Amazon page to specify which colour you want if this matters to you. There are useless visual instructions on the plastic wrapping of the product, but a bit of playing about later and I managed to open up the dispenser and get the tape up and running. Don’t be afraid to be firm when pulling apart the two halves of this dispenser, and it does go back together far more easily than it comes apart. How long it will take before it breaks is another matter as it does not seem to be of very high quality plastic!

Eventually you have a little blue dispenser which can sit on a desk looking rather like a snail and I must admit that it does cut the tape beautifully leaving a neat clean edge. The dispenser can also be closed up and carried about without the tape being adversely affected … erm … the thing is, I can do this without a dispenser.

The dispenser is a flimsy bit of plastic that sits on the desk and may make it marginally easier and quicker to use the tape than picking up a roll and peeling it and cutting it with scissors or a finger nail, but not much. I suppose it’s very cheap, and you can refill it so long as you buy the smaller 7.62m tape, but at the end of the day you’re buying a bit of plastic that barely enhances the performance of the product (at least for this user) and will end up in landfill.

Popband Ponytail Holders, Meadow
Popband Ponytail Holders, Meadow

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft & cute hair bands with flowers, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have long fine hair that is quite thick and I find that with three twists these Popbands will hold up a ponytail without creating any kink in my hair, although it is a loose hold that requires regular adjustment. If I want a proper firm hold (for work or sport) then I need to add a fourth twist which is great, but means that there is a kink in my hair when I take it down – though this isn’t a big deal from my point of view.

I work outside and my hair often gets pretty hard done by in terms of weather and general grime, and I find these bands last in these conditions for about 4 months of almost daily wear before they start looking like they need replacing.

I really like these Popband holders because they’re soft and don’t pull or snag when I use them and I have tried many hair bands that do! I often wear my hair bands around my wrist and so these are just a bit cuter than a regular coloured elastic – pastel shades and flower themed … what’s not to like?

Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 50 ml
Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 50 ml
Offered by Questmoor Pharmacy

2.0 out of 5 stars Smells fruity, lacks staying power, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a lover of perfumes, owning many bottles of high-end fragrances as well as really liking a few cheaper ones such as Beyoncé's Heat/Heat Rush, Katie Price's Stunning, Lady Gaga's Fame, Kylie's Sweet Darling and Rihanna's Nude, I was happy to try this new perfume.

Inside the marble-effect box there is a small glass bottle which is a rose quartz shade, has a raised heart on it, and around the narrow neck is a black arrow. It has a grey marble effect lid which simply pulls off to reveal the usual spray nozzle. The bottle does not look of the highest quality but its OK.

I had no idea what the fragrance would be like. Most celebrity scents are sweet and I have had several of them in the past. It is a parfum rather than eau de toilette which meant it should last longer on the skin.

So on to the fragrance ... well, I have to say I was hoping for good things but was disappointed. The fragrance is pineapple chunks mixed with coconut. Summery, unsophisticated; I probably would have chosen to wear this kind of scent when I was a teenager. It is definitely not a fragrance which is going to be mistaken for something high end; however, for going to the shops, or when you're not doing anything special, the perfume is adequate.

I like to smell my perfume all day. I know that everybody's skin chemistry is different, that fragrances can smell different on different people, and last varying amounts of time, but on me personally it only lasted around two to three hours - if that. I could then no longer smell it and nobody even commented on the fact that I was wearing a new perfume which my work colleagues always do when I buy a new one. My other celebrity perfumes (many cheaper) last way longer than this did - hours longer!

I will use up this bottle but probably as an air freshener rather than a perfume.

Manuka Doctor Manuka Honey 18+ Total Active 250 g
Manuka Doctor Manuka Honey 18+ Total Active 250 g

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly medicinal in flavour ..., 4 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This may be a little beside the point, but Manuka Doctor honey is a registered and certified manuka honey product, and it's fascinating to read about the company that certifies the products by tracing the chemical fingerprints of the ingredients - well worth a bit of Googling - a world leading company in the fight against food fraud which is worth billions globally!

Anyway, the honey is expensive, but presumably rightly so as it is a high quality product in limited supply. I didn't order it for its health benefits and so cannot comment on that aspect of it, but when I spent time in New Zealand it was always recommended as a cold remedy.

Somewhat extravagantly I bought this for spreading on toast, and baking with. Truth be told, I am not that keen on the flavour which to me has a slightly medicinal after taste - I spread it more thinly to avoid that. I usually buy honey from local producers in the UK, and have a special favourite that comes from Northumberland and has a beautifully meadow-like floral flavour, and is about a third of the price of this import.

Perhaps this honey is worth buying for health reasons if it works for you, but I would recommend seeking out local honey from local beekeepers and their local bees if you're looking for something to spread on toast!

Rimmel London Moisture Renew Sheer & Shine Lipstick, Spin All Spring, a Coral Orange Shade

3.0 out of 5 stars Coral orange tinted lip balm with a sweet scent, 24 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm always excited to try a new product. I chose this lipstick in '600 spin all spring' because it is a coral shade and I own nothing like it. I thought it would be great for summer.

This one is in a standard see-through pink case with a crown embossed on the top, silver base and it has the usual sticker on the bottom with the shade name and number.

On first glance it looks just like any normal solid opaque lipstick. But on application it transforms into what I would describe as a coral tinted lip balm. Immediately it feels incredibly moisturising, if not a little greasy, unlike anything I have tried before. My lips are not dry and so a moisturising product is not necessary, however it does feel fairly pleasant to wear.

It has a light, sweet smell, quite lemony, almost like citrus fruits. This may put some people off, however it didn't bother me.

You can build up the colour very slightly, however this lipstick is really sheer and provides at most a gentle wash of colour. This lipstick/lip balm is, in my opinion, suitable for most skin tones because it is so sheer. It is very subtle though, so those of you who like a splash of colour will be disappointed. I'd be interested to see what the pink shades are like.

This lipstick is ok, it gives just a hint of colour when I'm in a rush or popping to the shops, but it's nothing special.

Maybelline Vivid Matte Lipstick Number 50, Nude Thrill
Maybelline Vivid Matte Lipstick Number 50, Nude Thrill

2.0 out of 5 stars Red/brown matte liquid lipstick - but it burns my lips!, 24 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was excited to try this new Maybelline matte lip product. I am a huge fan of matte lip products, they are very on trend.

Sadly it was not nude but a quite dark red shade of brown. I was very disappointed because I was hoping for a pale pinkish nude which the photograph shows. However the number 50 nude thrill shade is definitely brown and darker than shown. It has a very typical twist off black top and a lip gloss wand with a firm but flat pointed doe foot applicator. I immediately wiped off the excess product, and applied it to my lips. Once applied, it was a more orange shade of brown which was not the best for my fair skin tone. It is a soft matte lip cream which goes on fairly dry and is easy enough to spread around and create a decent level of colour.

However within five minutes my lips started to tingle, and this tingling turned into a heated almost burning sensation which developed and got more and more uncomfortable on my lips. Eventually they felt like they were really hot and swollen so I immediately washed all traces of the product from my lips. Fortunately, my lips were not burnt or swollen but they felt warmer for quite a while after the product was removed.
I'm glad I didn't leave it on any longer!

I have never had any kind of reaction from any lip product before, whether it was from a specific ingredient or not I don't know but I will not be using this product again and I cannot recommend this liquid lipstick for this reason, as well as the colour being so misleading.

Salter 6 Kg Contour Digital Kitchen Scale, Black
Salter 6 Kg Contour Digital Kitchen Scale, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Large & user-friendly kitchen scales, 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There’s a lot to like about these kitchen scales from Salter, not least is their design simplicity and ease of use right out of the box. The scales come with 2 AAA batteries provided – great – and all that is required is for you to insert them into the battery slots at the back and then the scales are ready to use.

There are no raised buttons; the scales are designed with just a single smooth surface which is excellent for wiping clean. To switch the scales on simply press ‘zero’ and to switch units between g/lb/ml/fl.oz simply press ‘unit’. Easy as that.

I like the fact that the scales weigh up to 6kg (13lb) which is a substantial amount; and also that they can weigh in increments as small as 1g (1/8oz). You can also add ingredients using the ‘add & weigh function’ by pressing ‘zero’ whilst the bowl is on the scales and continue adding ingredients and resetting the weight to zero indefinitely. They will automatically switch off after the display reads 0 for 1 minute, or you can manually switch off by pressing ‘zero’ for a couple of seconds.

The display is large and easy to read and the size of the scales, W x 22cm; H x 25cm (approximately as they are rounded in design) means that large bowls or pans are accommodated and the display is still visible. My black ones do seem to show up dust quickly, but are so easy to wipe clean that this isn’t really a negative point.

I am surprised at how lightweight the scales are, and although they do not feel poorly made by any means, they seem a little less substantial than the well-worn glass ones I have been using for some time. Nevertheless, they are user-friendly, accurate, easily cleaned, and look smart and will certainly be a welcome addition to any kitchen.

Note: Scales also come with a 15 year guarantee (with proof of purchase) against defective workmanship and materials.

Salter 9037 Glass Electronic Digital Bathroom Scale, Black
Salter 9037 Glass Electronic Digital Bathroom Scale, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, well made & well priced, 22 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not sure there is anything not to like about these scales from Salter if you are looking for a pair of scales that do nothing more than tell you your weight. They are simple to set up and easy to use straight from the packaging and feature: a toughened glass platform for a maximum weight load of 180kg (28st 8lb /400lb); instant reading when stepped on; large easy to read display; a large platform with generous foot room; and carpet feet for uneven floors or if the scales need to be used on a carpet.

Small things matter to me and I like the fact that the packaging is made of cardboard – great – recyclable! The scales are ready to use once you have turned them over and removed the battery isolator – again, it’s just nice that they come with a battery pre-installed. On the underside is a switch to select the units you need the weight to be displayed in: kg/stones/lb.

The first time you use your scale the instructions tell you to initialise it, by placing the scales where you will be using them, then pressing on the centre of the platform with your foot; the scales will display a 0.0. From now on, you can just step straight on to the scale, your weight will be displayed, and will disappear a few seconds after you have stepped off. If you do move the scales to a different area, you should repeat the initialisation process. It couldn’t be simpler.

Aesthetically, the black glass scale is classic and understated in design and would look good in pretty much any bathroom; the scales are, of course, available in a range of colours if black is not your thing. The dimensions of the platform are 28cm x 30cm and with a 3cm depth including carpet feet, the scales can also be tucked away without too much trouble. The scales look, and feel, well made.

I suppose if you are looking for negatives, you need to make sure you don’t step on these scales with wet feet as the glass could be quite slippery, also light reflecting on the scale display may make it difficult to read. Neither of these observations have caused me any trouble.
The scales come with a 15 year guarantee against defective workmanship or materials – warmly reassuring for the buyer, and a vote of confidence for the Chinese team that make them!

So, if you’re looking for scales that provide an accurate reading of your weight (or whatever it is you want to weigh), look smart and well made, and are well priced, I don’t think you could find better than these.

Crops in Pots: 50 cool containers planted with fruit, vegetables and herbs
Crops in Pots: 50 cool containers planted with fruit, vegetables and herbs
by Bob Purnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Container growing edibles for beginners …, 14 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a quirky little book designed almost like a recipe book for planting up containers with all manner of delicious fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers to create beautiful and tasty displays. I love that it contains not only information for potting up the plants, but has recipes to try for some of the edible elements too. The book is certainly aimed at the amateur market and will be especially useful for beginner gardeners or someone who has never grown anything before.

The first section of the book takes you step by step from choosing and siting containers to potting up, drainage materials and aftercare. The book is then divided into 3 main sections: Starters, Main Courses and Desserts. Under starters for instance is a cut-and-come-again salad container, with a recipe for a ‘pizza bianchi’ and salad. There is a list of what you need to plant up the pot, and instructions on how to sow the seeds and finally there is a photograph to demonstrate what the finished container might look like. Each of the container projects is set out in this way with an accompanying picture. Main courses deals with container growing for a more substantial set of vegetables and herbs, and desserts contains fruits, suggestions for herbal teas, and ideas for using vegetables such as carrots and courgettes in cakes. Great!

Finally, the book lists fruit, vegetables, herbs and edible flowers and offers some help and guidance on picking particular cultivars, either for taste or visual effect, which is really useful.

I think this would be a lovely present for someone new to gardening looking to be creative and try their hand at growing something to eat in a container; it is probably not going to be that helpful for experienced gardeners who already have the confidence and knowledge to experiment anyway. The recipes for what to do with the produce are nice; the book has good photographs to help visualise what the plants will look like and the layout is clear, concise and easy to follow. Overall, a well-presented beginners guide to growing crops in pots and eating them!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20