Profile for Old Bookworm > Reviews

Budget Safety Sgian Dubh
Budget Safety Sgian Dubh
Offered by Eagle & Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Budget Safety Sgian Dubh (Apparel)
Very satisfied.Lead on McDuff !

Lovat Blue KILT HOSE Variety of sizes available

By Robert Harris An Officer and a Spy
By Robert Harris An Officer and a Spy
by Robert Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreyfusards this is a treat!, 11 Oct. 2014
Once again Robert Harris has not failed to enthrall me. This book like all his novels, (and I have read every one),is exceptionally well researched and deftly delivered in this "un-put-downable" novel. Historically true to facts and delightfully interpreted with colourful fiction, It is an absolute joy to read. Long may he continue to write material of this calibre. All I can say is a very big thank you to Robert for another masterpiece.

Gwynne's Latin: The Ultimate Introduction to Latin Including the Latin in Everyday English

5.0 out of 5 stars Why was this not a standard work at school?, 8 May 2014
At the age of almost 70, I bought this book in Kindle format, to try to find out why I failed miserably in my first and only year of Latin at school, 59 years ago. I was politely advised to give up the subject! I wish I had been given and read this book and practiced its methods from the start. Not only does it explain what you need to understand in order to learn Latin, but also what you need to understand to learn good English Grammar and many other languages based on grammatical method. The texts presented to me were "Civis Romanus" and they obfuscated me with what I found incomprehensible at that time. This book has brought me to a better understanding of the structure of language, including the technique of parsing sentences prior to attempting translation and comprehension of the text. I agree totally with Mr Gwynne's comments about what is wrong with modern methods of teaching (and the same argument probably applies to the teaching and understanding of mathematics although that is a separate issue).
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2017 6:54 PM BST

A Classical Education: The Stuff You Wish You'd Been Taught At School
A Classical Education: The Stuff You Wish You'd Been Taught At School

5.0 out of 5 stars Taggart the Conqueror, 8 May 2014
My tummy hurts with laughter. I bought this title in kindle format just to find out what I missed at school. For a serious book about a serious subject, where I was expecting to be bored to tears, I could not put it down. I never knew there was so much fun to be had in reading about what my education lacked. Caroline Taggart's literary style is powerfully witty and yet soberly serious. I loved every line I read. I just wish she had been one of my teachers, but at my age, I could have been one of hers! Thank you so much for the joy this book has given me in my retirement. In my opinion this should be compulsory reading for anyone thinking of a sixth form preparation for university level education.

Watercolours
Watercolours
by HRH The Prince of Wales

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight into HRH POW and his art., 28 July 2013
This review is from: Watercolours (Hardcover)
Interesting insight into HRH POW and his art. It is interesting to see how his artistic skills have developed over the years. He has obviously inherited a lot from his ancestors, including Queen Victoria.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 28 July 2013
Satisfactory product I have found nothing to criticise about it. What more can I say? It's OK I am delighted

Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason
Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason

5.0 out of 5 stars Deconverted, 28 July 2013
I found this an entertaining and evidently a very honest mini autobiographical account of the life of a person who was about as indoctrinated as was possible to be, and who almost perpetuated the family delusion, but eventually escaped the theological trap. Good book. Well written and makes very good sense.

Bero Recipe Book 41st Edition
Bero Recipe Book 41st Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend for the amateur cook and baker., 28 July 2013
These recipes are well tried and tested and evn I can produce good results and I am only an ignorant husband!

Set of 12 Washable Coloured Poster Paints
Set of 12 Washable Coloured Poster Paints
Offered by Executive Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for children age 5 upwards, 28 July 2013
Ideal for children age 5 upwards who are learning to paint. It has the advantage that it does not dry toofast, unlike acrylic paints.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5