Profile for Catface Kupo > Reviews

Content by Catface Kupo

Catface Kupo "Catface Kupo" (East Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Castle in the Pyrenees
The Castle in the Pyrenees
by Jostein Gaarder

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical and Lovely, 6 Jan. 2011
I've been a long time fan of Norwegian intellect and author Jostein Gaarder, however his books are not the type that are easy to dip in and out of. The Castle In The Pyrenees is probably Gaarder's most accessible book for new readers, written in much simpler terms, while retaining Gaarder's trademark philiosophical undertones. The Castle In The Pyranees focusses on a deeply sensual, spiritual partnership as it is reawaked after the couple drifted apart following a troubling event. The story is romantic and thoughtful and paced beautifully, leaving the reader bursting to know what happens next, while savouring each page. The Castle In The Pyranees touched me so deeply that upon finishing it I immediately wanted to read it again.

America's Next Top Model (Nintendo DS)
America's Next Top Model (Nintendo DS)
Offered by musicMagpie

1.0 out of 5 stars Tyra Banks, Be Ashamed, 29 Dec. 2008
I received this game for Christmas, after reading the absolutely terrible reviews on Amazon I still decided to give it a chance. I wish now that I hadn't. I absolutely adore the TV show and was looking forward to a game that reflected the show, this game is not it. The fact that Tyra Banks, and other judges/frequent stars do not appear in this game speaks volumes. They obviously know that is it terrible quality. This is one of the instances that I have to say 1 star is 1 star too many. This is truly the worst game I have ever played. It is dull, repetitive and monotanous. You play the same tasks over and over again and on the small screen of the DS is is very difficult to play some of them accurately. I finished this game within 2 hours, and then swiftly returned it to swap it for something more worthwhile.

Don't even try this, it's terrible!

The Beekeeper
The Beekeeper

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet with a Sting, 2 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
I've owned this album for a whole two days as I write this, and can already say with full confidence it will be a cherished album on my shelf, played often until it is scratched and worn out. This is the type of CD you fight over when going through a break-up. Although it is not as instantly striking as Scarlet's Walk, is an album full of songs that mix well together, but would equally do well as stand alone singles. Below are a few songs I think really stand out.

1. Parasol: This is a lovely sweet song, a perfect opener. I think it sets the tone of the album perfectly.
2. Sweet the Sting: Reminds me of a relationship. The type you know isn't right for you, but still feels good
3. The Power of Orange Knickers: When I first heard this, I didn't like it. However after a few plays I have begun to hear how well matched Tori and Damien's voices are on this lovely little song.
4. Jamaica Inn: I adore this song. I think it is so uplifting, and the music is incredibly unique.
6. Sleeps with Butterflies: Another favourite of mine. I think this song describes being in love perfectly. The real type of love where trust begins to kick in.
8. Mother Revolution: An wonderfully bitter sweet song that sounds like it belongs to Scarlet's Walk.
13. Ireland: A wonderful cheerful little song, with obviously Irish sounds to accompany it.
14. The Beekeeper: My absolute favourite from the album. I can't really put my finger on why, but I just think it's super.
17. Goodbye Pisces: A song which describe perfectly the feelings you shouldn't feel, but do, after a particularly sad break-up.
19. Toast: A beautiful song. Leaves you feeling slightly sad, yet also slightly happy at the same time. Incredibly touching.

The Solitaire Mystery
The Solitaire Mystery
by Jostein Gaarder

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical, 2 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Solitaire Mystery (Paperback)
This is the fourth Jostein Gaarder book I have read and it has skipped past the others to claim top space and become my favourite. Normally I find the author's books a little dry to begin with but overall hugely worth the effort. However this was not the case with this book. I was hooked from the first page. I always find it interesting that the author has a trademark of writing a book within a book, like the philosophical essay within Sophie's World to the wonderful short stories in The Ringmaster's Daughter. However none of the short stories within the main story have been as wonderful and captivating as the one in this book. You find yourself drawn into the story, trying to keep up and solve the mystery with Hans Thomas, yet you also feel involved in his world, rooting for him to find his mother. I read the whole book in just three evenings, and would heartily recommend it to anybody who still has a bit of a child in them, or those who like Hans' father have a untapped philosophical streak.

Gentlemen & Players
Gentlemen & Players
by Joanne Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Darkly Delicious, 16 July 2007
This review is from: Gentlemen & Players (Paperback)
I purchased this book, after devouring every other Joanne Harris book I have read. I found it quite slow to begin with, which is not a trait I normally associate with the author. However although it was slow paced it had enough of an interesting plot to keep me turning the pages. After about 50 or so pages I was thoroughly absorbed. This book is a step away from the norm for Joanne Harris. It relies far more on prickling suspense and mystery than on warmth and magic, however this combination works. The only downside I can give to this book, is about half way through the story, there is a scene, which to me, made the plot twist glaringly obvious. However, despite half knowing how the story was going to end, I still enjoyed the dark tale as it reached its climax with a devastating revenge plot.

Arthur and the Invisibles [DVD]
Arthur and the Invisibles [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fun, 2 July 2007
I rented this film from our local rental store on a whim. (after being told they couldn't find the disc to the movie we wanted to rent, and we couldn't be bothered to search all over again) However I was very pleased with what I saw. I thought the animation was whimsical, and took me back to movies like A Bugs Life. The characters were all very well voiced, especially Bowie's character. The story was also wonderful and in my opinion would appeal to children and adults alike. Although this is probably not the most advanced film, or the best written script, I appreciated the movie, as something which was very reminiscent of the past.

The Book of Loss
The Book of Loss
by Julith Jedamus

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Passion, 14 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Book of Loss (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from the library the first time I read it, I did enjoy it, but I didn't feel particularly enamoured with it. However within a few months I began to feel a craving to read it again, and began frantically trying to track it down. When I finally laid my hands on it again, I began to read it again, and felt very differently. The book is written like a diary by a spiteful, conniving and cruel woman, whose coldness is melted only when talking about her lost lover Kanesuke. At first you feel an intese dislike towards this selfish woman, but as you get through the story, you being to feel her raw passion and her powerful love. Anyone who has ever fallen for the wrong person will feel her pain, as she realises her true love is in love with someone else. This book spans her loss, pain and revenge at losing her soul mate. It shows how women deal cruel blows in the court, using rumour rather than direct attacks, and above all it shows how destructive love can be. It is a truly magnificent read and tugs at your heart like nothing else I have read. As I mentioned before it is a slow read which takes time to appreciate for its beauty, but is well worth it.

The Secrets of Jin-Shei
The Secrets of Jin-Shei
by Alma Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 14 Jun. 2007
The Secrets Of The Jin-Shei is a truly enchanting read. Alma Alexander's wonderful vivid descriptions bring the story to life. I found this book incredibly easy to dip into right from the very beginning thanks to the authors easy way of writing, and found myself not wanting to put it down, thanks to the gripping ploy. The story follows seven very different characters whose lives unwittingly intertwine in a rich tapestry. This is a magical tale, which leaves the reader utterly bewitched. By the time I had finished the book I was deeply moved by the tale, and also incredibly sad to have finished. This is most certainly a book I will cherish and reach for again and again.

Geisha
Geisha
by Liza Crihfield Dalby

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful peek into a secret world, 14 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Geisha (Paperback)
It is probably worth mentioning after reading previous reviews of this book, it is NOT fiction like Memoirs Of A Geisha. This is a true life account of an American women living amongst Geisha. Liza Dalby's writing brings to life the secret 'flower and willow' world before the readers very eyes. It is a touching and personal account with well researched facts peppered amongst Liza's own experiences. I would recommend this book to anyone, who like me has a huge interest in the rarely viewed world of the Geisha.

Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doug Jones
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical., 30 May 2007
I finally managed to rent this film a little while ago following it being out every other time I had tried, and I can finally say, I'm so very glad. The whole film is like sharing a dark secret. You are welcomed into Ofelia's world, allowed to share the magical yarn you see unwinding before your very eyes. The actors play their parts perfectly, all the while giving you the idea that you are being allowed a glimpse of things you shouldn't really be seeing. Even when the film is at is most bloody and violent is still a beautiful thing to watch. From beginning to end you are hooked by this dark fairytale. One of the best films I have seen, not only this year, but ever.

Page: 1 | 2