Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "thinelvis" (London, UK)

Mens Moccasins Australian Suede Sheepskin House Fur Loafers Shoes Slippers - 9 - BRO43 YC0254

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, cosy & short-lived., 18 Dec. 2016
Only lasted four months before the sole split into two pieces. A bit disappointing really as my previous pair, from a different manufacturer that I don't remember the name of, lasted over two years. I won't buy the same make again. I know I have wide feet but, considering the previous pair, I think they're pretty cheaply made.

Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
by Amazon Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea!, 11 Jun. 2014
This is awesome, a really good idea. You pay people a living wage & you pay your taxes & you get a warm glow of moral pride. It's such a simple concept it's hard to believe everybody isn't doing it already.

My Cross to Bear
My Cross to Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 22 May 2013
This review is from: My Cross to Bear (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of biographies, especially ones relating to musicians. It's always hard with autobiographies to know how much is being glossed over or just avoided. Gregg Allman doesn't seem to be trying to make himself look any different to how he is. It's not a secret that he's had his problems with various substances but it's rare to find anyone quite so honest about it. Most of the book focusses on the music which is, after all, what most readers will care about. Allman goes into a lot more detail on the early years and, overall, I think the balance is perfect.

Delta Swamp Rock: More Sounds from The South 1968-75 - At the Crossroads of Rock, Country and Soul

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as good as the first volume., 4 Mar. 2013
I bought this because I enjoyed the first volume & I wasn't disappointed, but then I've never been disappointed by anything I've bought on the Soul Jazz label. The track choice is more obscure than the first which I thought was good; I recognised most of the first volume already even if I didn't own it. The sleeve notes are great as is the packaging. The picture on the front may be slightly misleading, it isn't a collection of pre-1950 country-folk which is what the image seems to indicate but that's a pretty tiny gripe. There's a nice diversity of genres from country-soul to southern rock, nothing too Cajun (I would be happy to hear more Cajun stuff but that wouldn't fit this particular collection).

Record Collecting in the Digital age
Record Collecting in the Digital age

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as I'd hoped but in no way awful, 4 Mar. 2013
I was hoping for more of a guide & less of a series of personal experiences. Having come to terms with the fact that this isn't quite what I expected it's not a bad read. As a small time collector myself I identified with the author to some extent. Ultimately I didn't take any great truth away from this book but it entertained me on a long train journey.

Sucking the 70's
Sucking the 70's

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavier Than Before, 10 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Sucking the 70's (Audio CD)
This is a 2CD set containing 35 tracks of modern 'stoner rock' bands covering '70s rock tunes by Led Zeppelin, The Stooges, Hawkwind etc. Some are almost identical to the originals (yet somehow louder). Highlights for me are, Throttlerod's take on Black Betty (Ram Jam), Alabama Thunderpussy's Hymn 43 (Jethro Tull), Gideon Smith & the Dixie Damned's The Pusher (Steppenwolf) but my favourite is Lowrider's Freelance Fiend (Leaf Hound). It's always good to hear bands acknowledging their roots & it's led me to check out some of these old artists, and reappraise one's I'd forgotten which can't be bad. It's a heavy couple of hours but it sounds like a good time was had by all involved.