Profile for beelzebomb > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Before We Go
Before We Go

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful gem of a film, 22 July 2016
This review is from: Before We Go (Amazon Video)
I stumbled across this looking for something to watch on Netflix. Beautifully acted, the plot slowly unwinds and draws you in without you realising that you are suddenly in a 'need to know' situation. The interplay between the characters reminds me of that other wonderful 'person' film, Monsters; things may or may not resolve as you want them to, but it's all about the journey. Chris Westlake provides a haunting soundtrack too which plays a very worthy part in the atmosphere of the film - not too dissimilar to Dickon Hinchcliffe's Locke soundtrack. Cinematography and locations aren't bad either. I loved it.

UniBond All Purpose No More Cracks Ready Mixed Filler Tub - 1.2 kg
UniBond All Purpose No More Cracks Ready Mixed Filler Tub - 1.2 kg

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell out after drilling for curtains, 21 July 2016
This is total utter rubbish if you want to screw into it (even though the maker says you can). It didn't grip the wall well enough to hold two screws holding one side of a curtain rail and the complete filled area just fell out after an hour of putting curtains up. It had been prepped properly and left to completely dry.

Darklands
Darklands

3.0 out of 5 stars A Seventies Hammer Style Romp, 15 July 2016
This review is from: Darklands (DVD)
I enjoyed this. Craig Fairbrass does a sterling job as the increasingly paranoid journalist and, arguably, the film might have been far worse without him in it. It plays out like a creepy seventies cop thriller, or indeed an episode from any of those seventies anthology series, like Thriller or Armchair Thriller, or a segment in one of the wonderful anthology horror films so popular at the time. It certainly doesn't feel like a 'film' as such. As for comparisons with The Wicker Man, well, these are lazy in the extreme. Yes it involves some sort of pagan sacrifice, but that's just about where the comparison ends. Think more Rosemary's Baby or any of the stream of similar films that followed that classic. As another reviewer said, if you like your folk horror, this just about qualifies and is worth a look. Enjoyable romp, although the director should be chastised for the giveaway opening scene which telegraphs what is to come - the film should have started with the lead character simply waking up, which is the start of the film proper.

Eucerin Dry Skin Replenishing Cream with 5% Urea 75ml
Eucerin Dry Skin Replenishing Cream with 5% Urea 75ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Geasy, 15 July 2016
I may come back to update this as not used it long enough to see any results, but initial reaction is surprise, as I can say that it is VERY greasy - as products containing lanolin of course are (I didn't know it contained lanolin on purchase). After applying, your first desire is to wash your hands; that says it all. Even after a couple of hours the sticky feeling doesn't change, still feels greasy.

PUMA Men's Short Sleeve T-Shirt Run, Sulphur Spring 513060 03 M
PUMA Men's Short Sleeve T-Shirt Run, Sulphur Spring 513060 03 M

5.0 out of 5 stars Puma coolCELL tech is just the best there is for hot weather., 19 Jun. 2016
I'm fussy when it comes to my clothes and the tech I use for running. So many tops claim this or that and cost the earth and yet, after a few miles in hot weather, you still feel a clammy, clingy material struck to your back. So I've tried loads of different tops - and the most expensive aren't necessarily the best.
I just chanced upon Puma coolCELL shirts in a sale and was pleasantly surprised as to just how good these tops are for humid, hot weather summer running. The material is gossamer light (depending on the amount of stitching/panels the design has) and held up to the light, is almost chain mail linked - you can clearly see how air gets in and out. You can barely feel the shirt when on and after much sweating, it still holds its own and doesn't give that cold/wet/clammy feel anywhere near as much as far more expensive running tops I own. My other Puma tops (L) fit slightly better than this one, that is, they fit slightly smaller, but it's no deal breaker. Seriously, coolCELL is the secret weapon of those in the know for hot weather exercise. I can't fault it as technology and fabric at all.

Movement [Collector'S Edition]
Movement [Collector'S Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Some rare tracks, including Ceremony in its original superior form.., 9 Jun. 2016
I'm only reviewing this for one reason really, just to point out that disc 2's 'alt version' of Ceremony is a bit confusing when you add the cd to iTunes. This is in fact the original recording of the first 7 inch single (you remember the one, old gold cover ink that came off on your hand - typical Factory!) that seems to be so hard to find these days. The later remixed version that seems to be everywhere including the greatest hits album, Is inferior in my opinion, vastly inferior. To be clear, the first version of Ceremony on disc 2 is the later remixed and mastered version, the superior original is the 9th track (if you just copy the disc into iTunes the info that shows up will currently be incorrect). Equally rare is the inclusion of Cries and Whispers, Hurt and Mesh which are unavailable anywhere else (not even streaming services or download as I write this) - these four songs I mention here, are reason alone to buy this. They, along with the remaining songs I've not mentioned on disc 2, are the bridge between Joy Division and the stadium New Order that we came to know later on. It's just a shame the naming (when you add disc 2 to iTunes it comes up with 'alt version' etc) isn't a little more accurate.

RapidBrow Eye Brow Enhancing Serum
RapidBrow Eye Brow Enhancing Serum

5.0 out of 5 stars As cynical as I was, it does work, 28 May 2016
Logic & common sense makes sensible people question such lofty product claims as this. Our knowledge tells us there is no real cure for baldness, so this must be more old hokum. I've an open mind, & I've tried all sorts of products - like something that claims to reduce tartar (didn't work, & again, logic tells me that if it did, it'd be in all dentists & Boots) & something that can supposedly remove white deodorant stains on clothes (didn't really work, tho it helped, but again, if it was any good, the likes of Sure would have made their own version surely). So, after plucking my brows in the nineties when I was a huge fan of Depeche Mode, & now being many years older, my brows were virtually non existent on the outsides. So I gave this a go, I mean, it's sold by Boots after all. The instructions are careful to not claim to make brows grow where they have stopped growing & I didn't think it would work at all. Especially after 6 weeks of nothing. But 9 weeks in & it's working. Where my brows were thin or just a mere just, is slowly thickening new growth. I am on my 2nd batch & will use this up then reduce to once or twice a week to maintain. I guess that patience is really the key here, everyone is different & while I nearly left a negative review after 4 or 5 weeks, I'm glad I was patient. As a kid I had really thick brows & this is why I kept persevering, as I knew follicles must be dormant in there somewhere. So yes, for me it made hair grow in places that it hadn't for about twenty or more years. Logic says it cannot make hair grow where it has never grown before, but maybe that's the cynic in me coming out again! Bottom line is that yup, it works!

Garmin Vívosmart Wristband Wrist Band Armband with Smartphone Alerts and Touchscreen with Swipe Function
Price: £79.99 - £211.23

4.0 out of 5 stars The best non GPS tracker by a mile!, 7 May 2016
I absolutely love this. It's discreet (most serious fitness addicts want discreet I believe, leave the jewellery to the fad followers!) - no more than a slightly thicker version of the Livestrong style silicon band and with a hidden screen that only lights up when you want it to with two sturdy taps (the manual tells you to make firm taps, so it doesn't just come on randomly, it's not a fault). You can record an exercise too and set that to turn the screen on when you twist your wrist to view, this is great and stops the need to use your other hand to tap the screen - not something you want to be doing when you're running or cycling... The other thing this has in it's favour is that it's waterproof. Amazingly, the majority of other wristband trackers aren't. How on earth can you trust wearing an exercise tracker in British weather that isn't waterproof is beyond me. Battery life is 'up to 7 days' well, it can be much more if you turn Bluetooth off. You need Bluetooth to sync and to get phone notifications, but don't just leave it on when you don't need it, you don't with your phone and it saves your battery, this is no different. Early days, but I reckon I can average almost 2 weeks before needing to charge if I manage Bluetooth frugally. Notifications are great. Often you can't hear your phone in noisy environments so a discreet buzz when you get a text, call or a footie Forza update when you're out is just great. Visibility in bright sun is ok if you shade with your other hand, you can turn the brightness all the way up but it will reduce battery life of course. You can also set your running stride and walking stride on the Garmin Connect app that you will need to manage your Vivosmart to improve accuracy, you will need to do this, it's a bit of a pain, but only needs to be done once. The charger is a unique gripper, some have complained about faffing with this, but come on - if you complain about having to do this, you are probably too lazy to own a tracker anyway! I have successfully connected to the original iPad and Samsung Galaxy S2, despite the S2 not being listed on the Garmin website. Finally, it's comfortable to wear and you will soon forget it's on your wrist.

Monsters - Dark Continent
Monsters - Dark Continent
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful & in insult to associate it with the first film, 6 May 2016
This review is from: Monsters - Dark Continent (DVD)
Monsters was a wonderful film, totally out of the blue & not what you sat down expecting to see. This should not be in any shape or form associated with that film. In a word, it's dreadful. The characters are just so unlikable in the extreme & the acting is emotionless and wooden. The first film had a sensitive, gentle theme running through it, the idea that everyone and every creature just wanted companionship. The moment in the Gas Station where our two main characters realise that the so called monsters are just looking for each other & a mate. This, on the other hand, gives us some boys from Detroit who on the one hand live the life of Snoop Dogg partying with half naked girls (really?) & then dog fighting, while on the other are wanting to join the military and serve their country (again, really? There's no indication they have the brains to think along that train of thought previously). And boy, if this is the state of the US military then we should all be worried. They jump from Detroit straight into a war zone with whoops and ye hahs and... Well I couldn't take anymore. This actually made me angry. There should be some sort of copyright attached to good films that stops such frighteningly bad follow ups being able to share the same space and soiling the original's good aura. If you liked Monsters and "got it", watch it again, don't ever watch this abomination.

Spring Hinges Vintage Reading Glasses Men With Case Readers +1.75
Spring Hinges Vintage Reading Glasses Men With Case Readers +1.75
Offered by Eyekepper

3.0 out of 5 stars Brittle plastic, 25 Mar. 2016
They looked good and worked, but as usual with cheap reading glasses, the plastic had no give and they snapped while in my jacket pocket when I bent down. I've no idea why such things can't be made with a more durable plastic, but then I always wonder why self-sealable things like pasta are always in plastic that just splits when the product is opened anyway - oh well, it seems there is no regulatory or advisory body for correct plastic usage - who knew?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8