Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now
Profile for lancsgirl > Reviews

Content by lancsgirl

lancsgirl

Arguably
Arguably
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars To keep and savour., 30 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Arguably (Hardcover)
One of the best journalists that ever lived. Brave and fearless in what he thinks - or should I say thought since the poor, dear man is no longer living. I just dip into it and read a single essay at a time. I found those on the Middle East among the most revealing and interesting. Definitely a book for my top shelf to keep and savour.

Cadbury Mini Eggs 100 g Bag (Pack of 12)
Cadbury Mini Eggs 100 g Bag (Pack of 12)
Offered by a2zdrinks Express Delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Available on demand, 30 Dec. 2015
I love mini eggs and I think it's ridiculous that they are only sold up to Easter. Buying on amazon makes them available when I want them.

The Mysterious World of the Human Genome
The Mysterious World of the Human Genome
by Frank Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Wonderful Journey, 30 Dec. 2015
This is a marvellous book. I have always been intrigued by the mystery of DNA but I assumed that, since I only have a rudimentary understanding of science from O-level, I couldn’t possibly understand how DNA works. I was encouraged when the author began with the statement that he assumed no prior knowledge of DNA, or genes or chromosomes in his prospective reader. The opening chapters begin with the discovery of DNA as the basis of heredity and, slowly but surely, he takes the reader on a marvellous voyage of discoveries. We are invited to hop on board a magical steam train to travel along the tracks of DNA. The tracks are nothing other than the human chromosomes. I never realised that a chromosome is structured very much like a railway track, it has a beginning and an end and it is a single molecule vastly long. Alone the journey we learn how DNA is the code for heredity. We learn how, through mistakes in coding, it gives rise to a wide range of inherited diseases, including cancer. We learn abut viruses that are part of our human genome – something I knew nothing whatsoever about before. And then it deepens to show us how the history of all of humanity is written into the genome. We learn where we have come from and, perhaps most exciting and daunting, where we are likely to be heading.

There were one or two areas I had to read twice and I’m still not completely sure about epigenetics – but what a literally wonderful journey!

The Sword of Feimhin: The Three Powers Book 3 (The Three Powers Quartet)
The Sword of Feimhin: The Three Powers Book 3 (The Three Powers Quartet)
by Frank P. Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Heading for a classic, 5 Feb. 2015
I really enjoyed this book, which invokes thoughtful deep, intelligent fantasy. There is violence aplenty, but never just for its own sake. I particularly liked the introduction of the two new characters, Penny and Gully, which gives the reader new insight into the chaos that is taking over London. I can’t wait for book 4. I think this is going to be one of the classics.

Elantris
Elantris
by Brandon Sanderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but exceedingly slow, 17 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Elantris (Paperback)
I enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn series and really looked forward to reading Elantris. There are many strengths to the book, not least Sanderson's flowing and elegant prose. But it was incredibly slow in many places, with people just sitting around talking about things. When the action came it was well written. But not up there with Mistborn I'm afraid.