Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Washington, US)

The Harrowing
The Harrowing
by Robert Dinsdale

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 July 2009
This review is from: The Harrowing (Paperback)
I really did not get into this book. It is not awful, but chockfull of clichés. I struggled to feel any empathy with the one-dimensional characters. The war descriptions reminded me of my old high school textbook: singing Carols with the Germans during the first Christmas, check! Mustard gas, check! Depressing wait until the mindless butchery, check! Deserter gunned down, check!

Obviously there is a reason why all of this is in textbooks - it actually happened. But I was more moved during my history lessons than reading this book, if only because the two heroes somehow manage to go through the whole thing without a scratch (I am not counting what they do to each other). The author's writing style is not for me either as he seems to constantly go for the record of "highest number of metaphors crammed in one paragraph".

On the positive side the pace of the story is good, and if you pick it up you will probably finish it. I just did not find this to be a very enjoyable read.

Thursday Night Widows
Thursday Night Widows
by Claudia Pineiro

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 29 July 2009
This review is from: Thursday Night Widows (Paperback)
I loved this book. After reading the jacket description ("A psychology portrait of a middle class living beyond its means and struggling to conceal deadly secrets, set during the post -9/11 economic melt-down in Argentina") I braced myself for a high-brow, depressing tale. But from the first chapter I was hooked.

The story itself is simple. Three residents of "Cascade Heights", a luxurious gated community in Argentina, lay dead at the bottom of a swimming pool. Through flashbacks, we get acquainted with diverse members of this upscale community and with the events leading to this tragedy.

The suffocating atmosphere of "Cascade Heights" is perfectly conveyed by the author. However I found the book strangely uplifting - it catches the different characters at their lowest point and then follows them to... well it depends on the character, but some of them will get some kind of redemption. The style is sharp and economical - no lengthy metaphor or description. The very short chapters go back and forth between the different characters. They keep you reading to find out what happens next. I look forward to this author's next book!

Skechers Women's Shape Ups Metabolize Training Shoe
Skechers Women's Shape Ups Metabolize Training Shoe

5.0 out of 5 stars It hurts but it works!, 11 Mar. 2009
These are great, I was slightly sceptical but the first time I tried them on, the pain in my legs after a 5 minutes walk was enough to convince me that they worked! Now I can describe my 20 minutes daily walk from the station as "exercise" without blushing... And the price is great too. I definitely recommend them.