Profile for CaptainSensible > Reviews

Content by CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible "rich--m"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
THE #1 Skipping Rope for Crossfit. Speed Rope Designed For Double Unders - 360° Ball Bearing Mechanism + Adjustable Length. Durable + Lightweight. 100% Money Back Guarantee. SALE
Offered by MyGainz

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable value speed rope, 19 July 2016
These 'speed' ropes take a bit of getting used to, and I'm no expert with it, but it seems reasonably constructed. The description claims that it has 'ball bearings'. They don't, but they do have what I would class as 'speed washers' allowing the handles to rotate independently of the rope. The rope looks like nylon-covered wire which is a bit light for a beginner but I guess a perfect weight for a skipping expert. The rope won't get tangled but you need to wind it up and keep it in the bag when not being used otherwise it'll unwind all over the place.

Personal Kanban: Mapping Work / Navigating Life
Personal Kanban: Mapping Work / Navigating Life
by Jim Benson

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm sold on the idea, but the book includes a lot of fluff, 14 Feb. 2016
I came across a reference to this book in another book that I was reading and it struck me as an interesting idea - the use of Kanban as a personal productivity tool. As a software engineer, I'm used to Agile methodologies as applied to the management of software development so the ideas of using a Kanban board to visualize workflow and limiting the WIP in order to maximise throughput are not new to me. I found the book interesting but my attention started to wane about 2/3 the way through. The authors do repeat themselves a lot and I started to get bored of the anecdotes. The basic idea is sound though, and I've already started using a personal Kanban board to (hopefully) increase my throughput and personal effectiveness. The authors have a good website at personalkanban.com which may be everything you need if you want to learn about personal Kanban.

Lenspen NLP1 New Lenspen OriginalÂ
Lenspen NLP1 New Lenspen OriginalÂ

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable, 30 Oct. 2015
I carry this in my camera bag all the time. The extending brush removes the odd bit of dust effectively, and the small smudgy end really does remove finger prints and other marks from my lenses without any drama. A photographic tool I couldn't do without.

Nikon 20Mm F2.8D Af Nikkor Lens
Nikon 20Mm F2.8D Af Nikkor Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Nikon lenses, 30 Oct. 2015
I can't give a full review of the sort that you'll find on an enthusiast's or professional photographer's website, but if you search the web you'll find a number of thorough reviews of this lens if that's what you're after. If not, here's my few pence worth. I've been an enthusiastic photographer for a long time, and a Nikon owner for about the last 20 years. This lens is a super-wide angle prime lens that's a bit extreme for most. It's a lens primarily for 35mm film or digital FX (full-frame) format. You can mount this on a Nikon DX body but you'll get an angle of view equivalent to 30mm, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of this super-wide angle lens. Also, this older design does not have a focus motor so it'll only autofocus on one of the Nikon bodies that has a focussing motor in the body. Having said that, because of the lack of a focus motor it is light and compact. It is very sharp especially stopped down a couple of stops from fully open. And it's bright enough for most of my needs. This super-wide can also be used for capturing some unusual perspectives that you couldn't get with a longer lens. Coupled to my D600 body, the auto-focussing is quick and accurate. Overall, I love this lens and this will be part of my FX arsenal for a long while.

3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator
3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but comfortable and very effective, 30 Oct. 2015
Best dust mask I've bought. It's lasted me during my 12 month house renovation. Easy to breathe through, and the sealing around my face is superb wihout any air escaping. Comfortable to wear. When this one finally starts to clog up, I'll get another one just the same! I used to buy those cheap throw-away ones from my local DIY store, but your lungs are more precious!!

Trueshopping Bathroom Cloakroom Furniture Compact 400mm White Gloss Vanity Unit Cabinet with Ceramic Basin
Offered by bathroombarryuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perfect for a downstairs WC, 30 Oct. 2015
I bought this to fit into my refurbished downstairs WC. The unit is a perfect size for this application. The sink is just large enough to comfortably was your hands, but small enough to make the little room look larger and more spacious than it actually is. The vanity unit is of a pretty good construction and the glossy white exterior looks good. The soft-close door is an added bonus. Overall, great value for the price I paid.

GROHE 27786000 New Tempesta Cosmopolitan 100 Shower Rail Set with 3 Spray Options

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 30 Oct. 2015
I bought one of these to fit in my newly refurbished main bathroom. High quality, good looks and well engineered. Decent water flow and shower spray.

Elmdene 16ohm Speaker
Elmdene 16ohm Speaker
Offered by Teckstar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement burglar alarm speaker, 30 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Elmdene 16ohm Speaker
I bought this to replace an old burglar alarm speaker that I discarded during our house renovation. This was rated with the same impedance (16 Ohms) and power rating as the old one. It works just fine, nice and loud, and looks pretty good on the wall.

Philips G9 LED Capsule, 2.5 W, 230 V - Warm White, Pack of 10
Philips G9 LED Capsule, 2.5 W, 230 V - Warm White, Pack of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Larger than halogen G9, nice light output, no flicker, 30 Oct. 2015
WARNING: THESE BULBS ARE LARGER THAN STANDARD G9.
Just received these, but nowhere in any of the online descriptions for this product does Philips or any retailers state that this G9 LED bulb is significantly larger than the halogen equivalent. Simply turning the pack over, there's a very useful little diagram explaining that a standard G9 halogen bulb has a diameter of 9mm and a total length of 33mm, whereas these LED versions have a diameter of 18mm and a total length of 53mm. The base should be compatible and plug into a standard G9 socket, but you need to check the dimensions of your luminaire to ensure these will fit. After some research, I've found that almost all G9 LED replacement bulbs are approximately this size or larger, so if you're replacing standard G9 halogens with any make of LED bulb you need to check the dimensions. Also, Amazon's description is wrong, these are 2.5W LEDs, not 3W.

I was a little concerned about the direction of the light output as the actual LEDs are mounted at the tip of this G9 bulb. However, there is a light lens mounted on the end that 'bends' a lot of light out towards the sides. This is still not totally equivalent to a halogen G9 that would emit light omni-directionally. I have fitted three of these to a luminaire in my dining room. According to Philips, these are rated at approx 200lm light output each so the three G9s emit around 600lm. This is a decent amount of light for a dining room as I didn't want this room to be too bright otherwise the 'mood' would be lost. The light does not flicker (like some cheaper LED bulbs) but is nice and constant and is a warm white as described. Overall I am very pleased with these Philips bulbs for my application.

Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Purple
Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour and swivel cap, 10 Oct. 2015
My wife loves the colour, and the swivel cap. It works! That's it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6