Profile for Mike Keay > Reviews

The Lucky Ones
The Lucky Ones
by Mark Edwards

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual standard, 25 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Lucky Ones (Paperback)
I have read most of Mark's previous books in pretty much one sitting. I found this one to be far less engaging - more of a run of the mill police detective novel and a tad disjointed. I hope it doesn't turn into book 1 of a Detective Inspector Imogen Evans series.

Alcohol Explained
Alcohol Explained
by William Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, well structured and concise., 29 July 2017
This review is from: Alcohol Explained (Paperback)
This is the one for me. Like other reviewers I too have a considerable library of 'beat the booze' books, having failed a few times in the past (see pic:-)) Allen Carr's book stopped me smoking nearly 20 years ago - again after a few failed attempts. But after deciding to stop, I recently found myself halfway through his Alcohol book and it just was not gelling for me. It was almost as if he had taken his successful smoking book, substituted alcohol for smoking and then attempted to make it fit. I was also skeptical given that his "Easy Way" brand has branched out to include weight, worrying, diets and even flying. So I just didn't buy it when I was reading that alcohol gave me nothing - it was all just too simplistic albeit containing much good advice. William Porter's book is so different - it neatly condensed and distilled the whole sorry alcohol and addiction maze for me brilliantly - and although I have stopped for just 2 weeks - I have no interest in drink and have never felt better. I am actually looking forward to meeting some friends in a pub later! Thank you so much William.
Comment Comment | Permalink

AlcoSense Elite Breathalyzer & alcohol tester - "What Car" Best Breathalyser under £100
Offered by AlcoSense Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Accurate!, 10 Mar. 2017
Superb unit and very accurate and consistent. I have been testing it the past week against a Lion Alcometer (Police use them - but one will cost you £600) The thing I especially liked was that it cleans its fuel sensor after each test and is quick to recover. I could blow a seriously "don't even think about driving" 0.14% BAC (drunk) and 5 minutes later my good lady wife ( scowling at me and totally sober) would score a correct reading of "LO" - i.e no alcohol detected. That is something you will not get from the the many cheap units out there. It was also consistent (again compared with the Lion) in 'morning after' testing.
You can set the alarm levels to match the country you are in. I have a Motor home and travel across Europe so I want to be absolutely sure I am OK to drive the next day after a few wines and a nightcap.
Make sure you read the instructions first - especially about activating the sensor (if required)
In summary then I am really pleased so 5 stars - thoroughly recommended - and I agree with What Car. I now need a week off the booze :-)

DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter, Emergency Battery Booster Pack, Smart Power Bank with Compass, LCD Screen, and LED Flashlight for Laptop Phone Tablet and More (Black/Yellow)
Offered by NY. Direct EU

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical but......, 6 Jun. 2016
I was skeptical that such a small light unit could jump start a car. I drained my car's battery (90A/H) 1.5l petrol. The battery is 4 years old anyway and the car is sometimes not a quick starter. I left ignition on, lights on full beam, window wipers - everything until it was totally drained and the battery would not even offer a click when trying to start the car. I then left it for an hour and repeated the drain (batteries do seem to self recover) The courtesy light was like a dim candle. I connected the unit and gave it a few seconds - I fully expected a groaning slow turn of the started motor at best - but it fired up immediately - almost as if I had simply stalled. I re-drained the battery and then left it overnight with an internal light on (figuring the carb would dry up and it would need a few turns to fire up) and then tried a few starts in the morning (barely a click) I reconnected the unit and again it started immediately - almost as if I had installed a new battery. By now I was pretty impressed.... but as a last test I disconnected the battery negative terminal and connected the DB pack negative to the car ground cable (no car battery at all effectively) and after leaving it a while attempted to start the car just using the DB power pack as the car battery - It fired up immediately. Mightily impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2016 11:17 PM GMT

Cello C20230F 20-Inch Widescreen 720p HD Ready LED TV with Freeview
Cello C20230F 20-Inch Widescreen 720p HD Ready LED TV with Freeview
Offered by TV Village Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, 22 Mar. 2016
It's not bad for the money. Firstly - this is NOT HD from its tuner. Freeview channels will only be SD but on a screen this size it is not too much of a downside. To get HD you will need to go in via the HDMI, component or HD file on the usb. The usb supports a good number of formats and video codecs. Sound is OK. I had to make my own 12v DC lead as it only came with a mains lead. Power consumption on 12v is surprisingly low.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2016 12:44 PM BST

Transcend 16GB Drive Pro 220 Car Video Recorder with GPS
Transcend 16GB Drive Pro 220 Car Video Recorder with GPS

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed with Transcend Customer Service, 10 July 2015
The video works quite well and I am pleased with the quality. However, the audio has an annoying background crackle. This fault also affected the DP 200 looking at the dashcam forums. I returned for a replacement - the problem remained. It is not car interference - same problem when running out of the car and on internal battery. I raised a Transcend service case and they replied asking me if I was using the supplied 16G card (I was) but then despite 3 chasing emails they do not bother to even reply. I purchased a Sandisk 64G extreme card but the problem is still there. If you expect clean audio then steer clear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2015 2:13 PM BST

BESTEK® 300w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger Dual USB 3.1A MRI3013BU (UK socket)

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and does the job brilliantly, 16 Oct. 2013
Nice little unit and well deigned.. Ok the fan is a tad noisy but can live with that. USB sockets really useful touch..

Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger
Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger
Offered by Goods Wholesale Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot charge an iPad and iPhone simultaneously, 16 Oct. 2013
Dissapointed. It has a high pitched whine from the internal transformer. It is unable to charge an iPad plus iPhone at the same time - which was the reason I bought it.

Wacom CS-100 Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black
Wacom CS-100 Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black
Offered by MP3PartsEurope

2.0 out of 5 stars Come back Biro - Think again Wacom, 13 July 2012
I threw away my Biro and notepad and went digital with my iPad 3 and Wacom Bamboo stylus. I had read the reviews so only used the stylus very lightly and refrained from jabbing the home button with it, using it to pick my nose, chewing the rubbery tip etc.

All to no avail. After a month or so I noticed the response had changed but just assumed it was the female of the stylus family. Few more weeks and I realised it actually had a small split in the tip. I tried Wacom but was informed the tip only had a ONE MONTH guarantee. Resigned to shelling out more cash, I tried to find replacement tips. Nope - always out of stock (when you eventually find them) only on the Wacom website

So in sad summary, Wacom sell a stylus for over £20 which has a single nib that may only last a month. They supply no spare nibs with the stylus and paid for replacement nibs seem to always be out of stock on the website. Just checked yet again and still out of stock. I wouldn't bother with this until they supply at least 10 spare nibs with the damn thing. Not happy.

Jilted Generation
Jilted Generation
by Ed Howker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...., 25 April 2012
This review is from: Jilted Generation (Paperback)
A good read which summarises the tough world out there for the younger generation. But the authors oversimplify by laying the blame at the door of the baby boomers as if it was a deliberate act to sabotage their own children. Short sighted politicians are to blame coupled with a privileged and highly biased media and a general apathy for real rebellion.

If you were to take the current early twenty something's and time warp them back to the seventies with easy mortgages and jobs, would they not also jump on the bandwagon, with barely a token nod to the future generations? Yes they would, and they wouldn't then have the inclination to then pontificate about their lot in life. Hindsight is always an easy mechanism with which to lay blame.

I hated Thatcher and voted against her every time. What else should I have done? I am helping both my kids through Uni (bigtime) and will leave them our house. Sorry if I don't die early enough. The authors would also do well to go back another generation or two Their prospects would then often be the Workhouse for the poor (a real prospect for my dad) and they certainly wouldn't have to worry about benefit levels and the current perceptions of the older generation concerning their (relatively) comfortable i-Lives.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 5:48 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3