Profile for C. Davis > Reviews

Content by C. Davis

C. Davis "Carl" (Burton, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Masters Of Comedy: Frankie Howerd [DVD]
Masters Of Comedy: Frankie Howerd [DVD]
Dvd ~ Masters of Comedy
Offered by RevisionNet

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of good Titters!!, 14 Dec. 2010
This DVD isn't that bad. Yes, most of Frankie Howerd's best stuff was done for the BBC, but this compilation of ITV shows is still very funny and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

He's still as great a performer as ever, his ad-libbing in some of the sketches is, as ever, hilarious, as are his side remarks to the live audience.

A great DVD, and I imagine a good compliment to the BBC's best of.

Peter Kay's Special Kay [DVD]
Peter Kay's Special Kay [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Kay
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't see why everyone is complaining about this release!, 8 Nov. 2010
I think this DVD is great, packed with laugh out loud moments from start to finish. The Michael Parkinson interview had me in stitches! The John Smiths adverts are some of the funniest made for years and a lot of the stand-up segments here are really funny and show Peter in his early days when he was still developing his trade.

There is nothing on this DVD that is available anywhere else to my knowledge (except the clip from Britains Got the Pop Factor...which was released on DVD). There are no clips of Max & Paddy, Phoenix Nights, which is good because we've seen it all before and have got the DVDs. There's plenty of unreleased stuff on here.

I really can't see what there is to complain about. Theres 1 hour 20mins of pure comedy genius, and the way its edited is really good, almost like watching a long sketch show. Yes, maybe it would be nice to have a scene selection feature, but its not that much of a hardship to skip chapters till you find what you want.

If you're Peter Kay fan, I'd say this is an essential buy!

Come And Get It: The Best Of Apple Records
Come And Get It: The Best Of Apple Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Come and Get It, 28 Oct. 2010
I had never heard any of the songs on this CD, but am a huge fan of The Beatles and their story so thought this would be an interesting insight into what their Apple Records label was about.

There isn't really a dud song on here...some are better than others, highlights for me include "Come and Get It" and "Those Were The Days", not to mention "Sour Milk Sea". A lot of the tracks were written by members of the Beatles, as well as featuring them playing and producing.

A good selection of songs which I think any record label would be proud to release on a compilation like this, and its a shame it took Apple this long to come up with something like this! Hopefully there will be more to come.

1962-1966 [The Red Album]
1962-1966 [The Red Album]

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential?, 19 Oct. 2010
Firstly, this could fit onto 1 CD, but who cares? While we are only being charged the standard price for a single album I prefer that we are presented with 2CDs which create the same running order and length of the 2 discs in the original vinyl release.

The music, we all know is top quality (5 stars), and the remastering is very good. However, these are the same remasters as those issued last year, so for example the different mixes used on some of the vinyl tracks (such as the wierd 'whispering' before 'I Feel Fine') is absent.

'Love Me Do', 'Please Please Me', 'From Me To You' and 'She Loves You' are presented here in mono, so these are different mixes to the stereo remasters, but I imagine they are the same ones used in the pricey mono box set. Other than that we get nothing new here in terms of music (if you have all of the remasters you could compile your own red/blue albums for only the cost of 4 (or 3 if you prefer) blank discs!).

What is interesting though is the packaging. Much more conpact that the hideous triple CD cases which Apple seem to insist on using to release 2CD albums (??) is the new card packaging which is quite true to the original vinyl gatefold, with the centre-spread photo appearing in the middle of the Beatles which appeared in the vinyl release. There are also some rare and unseen(?) photos in the accompanying booklet, as well as some new text from Bill Flanaghan and the lyrics which were printed on the record sleeves originally.

Still though, I'd say the set is well worth investing in, it completes the Beatles remasters colletion and it saves loads of place on your CD shelf. Presentation is spot in in my opinion, and it is an essential CD for any music fan to have in their collection.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 8:50 PM BST

1967-1970 [The Blue Album]
1967-1970 [The Blue Album]

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential?, 19 Oct. 2010
This is possible one of the greatest compilation albums ever (the other being the "red album").

What we have here is a new remaster. The packaging and presentation is great, as have been all of the Beatles remasters. Interesting and unreleased photos in the booklet, and gone are the huge triple plastic CD cases that all of the Beatles double albums seem to have for some reason been released in.

The music is great, everyone knows this.

However, the remasters are exactly the same as the 2009 versions released on individual albums and on the Past Masters collection. So you could effectively burn your own compilation from the songs you already own. That remastering was great, but I'm sure the original vinyl release had soem slight differences in the mixes, which Beatles enthusiasts perhaps would have liked to see here. The only difference with any of the tracks here is that "A Day In The life" has a clean intro, rather than fading in from applause after the "Sgt. Pepper" Reprise on the album of the same name.

Overall though I'd say it is a good purchase, just because it completes the Beatles remasters collection and comes in a very neat package. The music is nothing new here, but is a welcome addition to any CD collection.

5 stars for the music, 4 stars for the product, just because maybe there's something missing (maybe some bonus mini-documentary would have been nice, like on the album remasters?)

Jaws
Jaws
by Peter Benchley

5.0 out of 5 stars don't think that if you've seen the film you don't need to read the book!!, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Jaws (Paperback)
I bought this to read on holiday, and I havr to say it actually did make me a bit weary of going into the sea!!

Jaws has long been my favourite film, so I thought I'd give the book a go, presuming it wouldn't be as good as the film. I was wrong-the book is much better than the film (not saying that the film isn't brilliant!). There is so much more character development, story twists and sub-plots which keep the story moving quickly and keep the reader gripped.

I thought that the last chapter (the last 10-15 pages) seemed a little rushed, but that didn't spoil what is one of the best novels I have ever read.

The book and film complement each other really well in my opinion, as the film is quite true to the original book.

Devil May Care (James Bond)
Devil May Care (James Bond)
by Sebastian Faulks

4.0 out of 5 stars the next film?, 4 Sept. 2010
I read this on holiday, and once i started it i couldn't put it down. The storyline is great, if at times a little obvious...The detail the author puts into Bond's taste in cars, food, drink is very thorough amd reminded me of the way Ian Fleming wrote in his books. Overall a really enjoyable read, and a story that I think would make a good Bond film. I think Ian Fleming would be proud.

Their Satanic Majesties Request
Their Satanic Majesties Request

4.0 out of 5 stars Rolling Stoned, 13 Aug. 2010
The Rolling Stones answer to Sgt. Pepper is not a bad album, but Sgt. Pepper it ain't!. The only other Stones studio album I have to compare it to is Exile..., and I'd say it's almost as good as Exile on Main Street.

The sound quality here is DSD remastered and sounds great. The songs themselves vary in quality. Citadel, She's a Rainbow, On With the Show, In Another Land, 2000 Man and 2000 Lightyears from home are great. My favourite, The Lantern I think is brilliant, one of my all time favourite Rolling Stones Tracks.

The other tracks, Sing This All Together and Gomper are all good, but average songs, but the Rolling Stones have done better. Sing This All Together (See What Happens) is 8 and a half minutes of rubbish really, though it's probably the only song on the album I'd skip after a few listens.

Not the best introduction to the Rolling Stones (try 40 licks or something), but for established Rolling Stones fans, this is an essential buy.

Drugs were clearly involved (proven by Keith Richards (I think) asking at the start of Sing This All Together (See What Happens) "Where's that joint?"! But, a good album. Glad that the band returned to their R&B roots with their next album though!.

Stephen K Amos: Find The Funny [DVD]
Stephen K Amos: Find The Funny [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 1 Aug. 2010
Stephen K Amos is absolutely hilarious, and although this DVD is brilliant, I think I have seen better performances from him on other shows, such as "Live at the Apollo". The way he interacts with the audience on the DVD is great, and the fact that he also uses his colour to his advantage in his comedy routines is really refreshing in this age of "political correctness". For example, his part about 'coon cheese' is really funny without being at all offensive, so proves that you can make jokes about such things without offending people!!

Hopefully his next DVD will be even better!

Belkin iPod Classic Leather Folio - Persimmon/Bone
Belkin iPod Classic Leather Folio - Persimmon/Bone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 23 July 2010
Bought this for my new 160GB iPod and am very pleased with it. yes, it is a little loose, but I can't see how you'd let the iPod fall out of the case. I don't think mine is loose enough for it to fall anyway, but could be a little more 'snug'. I thought the clear plastic screen cover would annoy me as I don't like things over screens, but can't say as this one has really bothered me, as long as I keep it clean!!

Belkin too, so a trusted brand. I think (but not 100% sure as I don't have the box anymore) that this also comes with a 12 month guarantee? Someone else may need to confirm this for me, but thats what I think it said on the packaging!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7