Profile for C. Davis > Reviews

Content by C. Davis

C. Davis "Carl" (Burton, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
JETech 2-Pack iPhone SE 5 5S 5C Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector Film - 0314
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply, great value., 4 Aug. 2016
Bought these after I cracked my old screen protector on my iPhone 5s.

Great price for 2 screen protectors and includes all the accessories (cleaning cloth, dust sticker and handle tabs).

Very easy to apply and lines up perfectly. Doesn't seem to have affected the response from my fingers on the touchscreen. And doesn't seem to hold as many finger marks/smears as my old screen protector did.

Hopefully they will absorb and impact and protect my phone.

Planet Waves Pro-Winder String Winder and Cutter
Planet Waves Pro-Winder String Winder and Cutter
Offered by Limestone

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally got one!, 21 Jan. 2016
I've been playing guitar for well over ten years, and I have been meaning to get a device like this for years. I finally got this one when I needed an extra product in my Amazon basket to qualify for free delivery.

I don't know how I've managed so long without it! Gone are the days of ruining kitchen scissors cutting off the excess strings from the tuning heads - one snip with this and you have a nice neat set of strings.

The string winder is very squeaky, but works perfectly , and the bridge pin puller is also handy for removing tight pins.

Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker - Black
Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivation, 21 Jan. 2016
Been using this device for two days now and so far have been very impressed.

To get the most out of it you need to use with the web or mobile phone app which allows you to set weight loss or activity targets, log the food and drink (therefore calories) you consume and monitor your progress or activity over time. The also allows you to connect to friends who use Fitbit, introducing some friendly competition into getting fit. Challenges include seeing who takes the most steps in a week or weekend etc.

I keep the Fitbit out of the way in my trouser pocket. It's tiny and you can't even tell it's there. The step counter seems pretty accurate - I've walked around my flat and counted the steps it took in my head, and this consistently matches what the FitBit is counting.

As for calories burnt, I don't know how accurate this is, but it serves as a good guide to compare your calories consumed vs calories burned - which is after all what you need to know in order to lose weight.

Setting a weight loss target in the app enables the system to work out a calorie deficit required to lose the said amount of weight in a certain timeframe (with varying levels of difficulty to choose from). Two days in and I'm keeping to the goals it sets, so I guess time will tell when I weigh in after a week or so.

Device comes with a velcro wristband with a pocket to hold it which you can wear to bed so it'll monitor your 'sleep efficiency' and restlessness in the night. You can also set a vibrating alarm should you wish.

Also included is a USB charging cable and a tiny bluetooth dongle to plug into a USB port on your PC or Mac to enable wireless syncing. I am also syncing via bluetooth with my HTC Desire 620 (NOT on the approved list of devices on the Fitbit website, but it connects perfectly).

I haven't used the included belt clip so far as it seems much easier and less intrusive to just drop it in your pocket.

Lack of instructions in the box can seem a little disconcerting at first, but if you go to the website that it tells you in the leaflet it guides you through the steps to get setup with the app and get connected. An internet search for the FitBit One Manual will bring up a nice PDF instruction guide if you need more info on operating the actual device.

V-fit MXC1 Folding X Frame Magnetic Cycle
V-fit MXC1 Folding X Frame Magnetic Cycle

4.0 out of 5 stars Great solution for some cheap, quiet exercise!, 18 Jan. 2016
Bought this in January in an effort to do a bit more exercise and improve my cardio health.

I've been very impressed with the bike so far - was very easy to assemble (just a case of attaching the handlebars, seat, pedals and floor stands) and once built it is very sturdy to sit on. As some others have mentioned, it is quite a weight to move around, however it does fold up to a pretty small footprint for storage out of the way when not in use.

The seat is OK, not the most comfortable, especially after 20 minutes or so, but you can just sit on a cushion, or I've seen some padded seat covers on here for a couple of quid.

The bike offers good resistance, anything from about setting 4 and you can feel your legs working, setting 8 is pretty tough - how some people say it needs more resistance, I don't know. Cycling on setting 8 is equivalent to riding a real bike up a pretty steep incline!

I've knocked a star off because the sensor inside the body of the bike was not in the correct position, meaning the monitor wouldn't work; it would measure my heartbeat, but nothing else. So after contacting Beny Sports, they suggested I take the sides off and tweak the position of the sensor inside. This was pretty fiddly to do, but it's working OK now and I am getting all readings on the monitor. They said if that didn't work they'd send me out a replacement monitor, and failing that, a new bike, so they've been pretty helpful.

All in all, a recommended purchase if you want to get some additional exercise from the comfort of your own home. Worth noting the bike is silent when in operation, so you can use it whilst watching TV.

*****UPDATE 27th JAN 2016****

After fiddling with the position of the sensor as instructed by Beny Sports, the monitor is still pretty temperamental. Last night I cycled for 35-40 minutes with no problems, but tonight (and a couple of times), it starts playing up after around 20 minutes - it just stops working every few seconds. I even glued the sensor into the position it worked best in to prevent it slipping.

Disappointed that such a simple fault can still persist. Not sure it's worth the hassle of dismantling, repacking and sending back for a replacement, especially if it's a common fault.

Salter 9141 WH3R Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scale
Salter 9141 WH3R Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, sorted for the next 15 years at least!, 3 Jan. 2016
Mine arrived yesterday, put on the carpet feet as I will be using it on a carpeted floor and it seems to work a treat.

As other reviewers have said, requires a bit more than a tap to turn it on (I generally stand on it then step off to turn it on), but once it's on it seems to provide consistent readings for my weight which match up to another set of scales I have used recently.

I found it relatively easy to input my data (sex, height and weight), and the BMI, body fat % and water % function seems to work well. How accurate it is, I don't know, but it's a good starting point if your starting to get into fitness or tone up a little. The weight reads accurately, that's all I'm bothered about really.

15 year guarantee is a big bonus too!

1 The Beatles [Limited Edition]
1 The Beatles [Limited Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD videos! At last!, 3 Jan. 2016
The HD restorations of these music videos look superb, especially Strawberry Fields Forever!

This deluxe edition also includes many extra live performances and television appearances.

Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney provide newly filmed introductions and commentary on a select few of the videos.

The stereo remixes on the CD also sound great - I've been able to pick up little guitar twangs and bits and pieces that I've never really notice before on the previous stereo and mono remasters.

INSANITY Sanity Check: A DVD introduction to the INSANITY Workout
INSANITY Sanity Check: A DVD introduction to the INSANITY Workout
Offered by Beachbody

5.0 out of 5 stars Ouch!, 3 Jan. 2016
Bought this after Christmas to try and get a bit fitter for the new year. Just completed the 26 minute workout for the first time - sweating like mad! Although this is an 'introduction' to the Insanity workout, it is hard work and really gets the heart rate up.

The DVD is filmed well, the music isn't that bad - you should barely be able to hear it over your own breathing anyway! Instruction is nice and clear, easy to follow, and Shaun is very encouraging. The two presenters that are with him offer slightly easier alternatives if you struggle to keep up with Shaun.

What I like about it is the timer bar along the bottom of the screen, telling you how long is left of the current circuit, and how long is left in total. This is encouraging to see...plus you can see where the next water break is!

No additional equipment is required, which is great, and the moves can all be practised in a relatively confined space....

Having done this just the once so far, I don't think I'd move onto the 60 day program...just doing this once a day I think would be a great starting point to get my fitness up, coupled with a fairly active job and a sensible diet.

The Who: Live in Hyde Park [Deluxe Book+DVD+Blu-ray+2CD ]
The Who: Live in Hyde Park [Deluxe Book+DVD+Blu-ray+2CD ]
Dvd ~ The Who

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent close to 50 rocking years!, 2 Jan. 2016
I was lucky enough to be at the gig, and can spot myself both on the film and in photos in the book.

Included is the concert on 2CDs (which was great- a brilliant set list covering their entire career, with Roger and Pete on top form!), the film on DVD and also on Bluray. I haven't watched the DVD as I have a bluray player. In HD it looks great. Nicely shot (although not as well as the Rolling Stones Sweet Summer Sun concert at Hyde Park a couple of years back - although the crew did have 2 nights to get the shots for that film!)

Thunderbirds: The Vault
Thunderbirds: The Vault
by Marcus Hearn

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Guide & History, 2 Jan. 2016
This book has been written to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original series of Thunderbirds.

It is a weight coffee-table style book, printed on high quality gloss paper stock with a nice sturdy hard cover.

It is written by Marcus Hearn, who knows his stuff when it comes to vintage television, and Gerry Anderson (having written his only authorised biography).

It starts off with a brief history of Gerry Anderson's career, building up through the APF years (Twizzle, Torchy, Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray) and then focuses on the development and production of Thunderbirds. There are stacks of behind the scenes photos (colour and B/W) - many of which I have never seen (and I own a lot of books on Thunderbirds!), as well as interviews with crew and cast members.

There are also brief episode guides (I'm glad not too much space has been devoted to these - we all know the episode stories and can refer to The Complete Book of Thunderbirds by Chris Bentley for more in depth character, vehicle and episode guides).

All in all, I would say this is the definitive guide to the production of Thunderbirds; well researched, designed and written. A great addition to any fans collection. It's just a shame there wasn't a similar one for Stingray in 2014 - we can hope for one to commemorate 50 years of Captain Scarlet in 2017 maybe?

Moleskine Large Plain Notebook
Moleskine Large Plain Notebook

1.0 out of 5 stars ... for just under ten pounds - the cover is nice and sturdy and it is a stylish little notebook, 28 May 2015
Bought this for just under ten pounds - the cover is nice and sturdy and it is a stylish little notebook.

However, the paper is terribly thin!! I wrote on the first page and it bled through to the other side and was clearly legible.

Thankfully I contacted Amazon who were happy for me to return the item for a full refund even though I'd written in it. Disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2016 3:38 PM BST