Profile for Joanna Reesby > Reviews

Content by Joanna Reesby

Joanna Reesby (London United Kingdom)

Fitbit FB103BK-EU ONE Wireless Activity + Sleep Tracker - Black
Fitbit FB103BK-EU ONE Wireless Activity + Sleep Tracker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE my fitbit, 16 Feb. 2014
This is the best device to have entered my life in years. I used to think I walked quite a lot but it was much more erratic than I knew - I now set out to walk at least 10,000, often reaching 15,000 or 20,000. I am much fitter as a result, my shape has changed and the weight I need to lose slowly removing itself. I have to admit to being a wee bit compulsive and finding myself circling the block if I arrive early for meetings etc to get my steps up. I LOVE IT.

In the Wet (Vintage Classics)
In the Wet (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nevil at his best, 14 Nov. 2013
I am a huge fan of Nevil Shute's writing but somehow this book had escaped me and I was delighted to find it. It is an unusual book, in that it has a layer of "fantasy" meaning his prediction of the (not so rosy) future sits alongside current day events and makes for a bizarre juxtaposition for this very reality based story teller. But it is compelling nonetheless. He is a man who makes no apology for his views, and while his politics may not be to everyone's taste, he is thought provoking. What this book has in common with its siblings is the very genuine feelings that it both describes of the characters and that it engenders in the reader.

The Sopranos, The Vanity Fair Oral History
The Sopranos, The Vanity Fair Oral History

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 19 Sept. 2013
but not quite enough insight for a true fan. I am looking for a more detailed work now.

good luck

Julia in Ireland: A Julia Probyn Mystery, Book 8 (The Julia Probyn Mysteries)
Julia in Ireland: A Julia Probyn Mystery, Book 8 (The Julia Probyn Mysteries)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 19 Sept. 2013
excellent book with wonderful 1930s perspective of life - if you like this era, you will love this book, she is such a find as an author to me however the mores impacting the behaviour of women have moved on rather and this did grate at times

A Place to Stand (Bloomsbury Reader)
A Place to Stand (Bloomsbury Reader)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Sept. 2013

Mrs Tim of the Regiment: The Bloomsbury Group
Mrs Tim of the Regiment: The Bloomsbury Group

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book with wonderful 1930s perspective of life - if you like this era, you will love this book,, 19 Sept. 2013

The Ginger Griffin
The Ginger Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book with wonderful 1930s perspective of life, 19 Sept. 2013

The Sopranos - The Complete Series [DVD] [2007]
The Sopranos - The Complete Series [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 31 July 2013
Having long resisted the hype, have now well and truly joined the ranks of those who think it the best TV series ever

The Europeans A Sketch (Oxford World's Classics)
The Europeans A Sketch (Oxford World's Classics)
by Henry James

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, 25 May 2011
I am a great lover of 19th century literature from the US or the UK. Whether it is the time and thought given to the observation of behaviours and feelings of characters during a much more slowpaced, leisurely period (and whether people therefore responded to situations in a more or less intense manner) - and what we have in common with such characters 100 plus years later - I cannot say. A mix of both I should think. But in most cases, the Emma Woodhouses, the Mrs Bennetts and Newland Archers are recognisable as people we may meet today. However, in this case, I struggled to comprehend fully many of the players.

I did enjoy this book but had to work to do so. Indeed, I had to go back and reread it to get to the nub of the message. At first blush, it does feel a little inconsequential as to story and motive; almost as if a thin transparent veil has been drawn over the story - so we strain to get to the meaning and essence of the characters. But it warrants further examination - if just to try and appreciate Madame Munster, her true nature and the impact she has on those whom she encounters. Who is she - stripping away the sophistication and worldliness. Is she a worthy person? Is she intelligent? Has she a kind bone in her body? A collation of manners? or is she merely a calculating manipulative gold digger? I fear I still do not know. Gertrude is also somewhat of an enigma, a naive innocent who nevertheless shapes her destiny with far more success than Eugena, whereas the men seem to be very much more straight foward and defined primarily by their response to the women in the book.

I did appreciate the twist - the frustration felt by Eugena that her plans came to naught despite all her cleverness and manipulation, whereas the impulsive and sincere Felix gets his reward. Perhaps that was the moral - directness and sincerity are not the sole provenance of either the Old or the New world and should trump worldliness, affectation and contrivance. Amen to that.

The Land of Painted Caves (Earths Children 6)
The Land of Painted Caves (Earths Children 6)
by Jean M. Auel

1.0 out of 5 stars How very very disappointing, 26 April 2011
When I first read Clan of the Cave Bear on first release, I was mesmorised. Appreciating much artistic license was taken with the "truth" nevertheless I found the world as envisaged by Jean Auel fascinating and very thought provoking. I loved the next two books, then found I was losing impetus as the repetition of so many aspects in the latter books became frankly provoking (from Ayla's accent, to her medicine bag to the lovemaking scenes which were almost word for word the same). However, I lived in hope that all would come good in the final book and the freshness and orginality of the early books would be captured.

WRONG.

In fact, the failures of the 4th and 5th books have been greatly magnified in the 6th - and I should know - to prepare for the 6th, I went back and reread all 5! AARRGGHHH. What was her editor thinking? I am so sad to say that the 6th book just smacks of a money spinner finale cooked up over a boozy lunch b/w publisher and author and the cut and paste machine in overdrive. I am so sorry to say this as I know that creating a book is a huge undertaking but Jean, 350 pages of pithy and original and well worked plot and character development would be infinitely preferable to 700 pages of unending repetition. You do your fervent fans a great disservice and by the 6th book, you should be writing for them, not the newbies, and even a newbie does not need to know over and over that Ayla has an accent, or that Jondular has amazing blue eyes, or the zelandoni of the 14th cave is jealous of The First and and and.

So - if you are new to the franchise, read books 1 to 3 for sure and 4 and 5 maybe. And leave this one out. If you love the franchise, borrow book 6 and speed read it just "so you know". But sadly not one to cherish.