Profile for Doug McGrave > Reviews

Silver Dream Racer [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Essex
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars I've a dream......, 2 May 2015
This review is from: Silver Dream Racer [DVD] (DVD)
I like this film, I've always liked it though it does have its shortcomings, if David Essex's acting had been any more wooden his character would've died of Dutch elm disease, and as for the bike, there's more power in a fart and it sounds more like an electric razor than an eclectic racer, but still, I believe the film was made with a good heart, it's is pretty well written, pretty well directed by David Wickes and pretty well acted by other members of the cast, with Harry H Corbett in what would sadly be his last film role, putting paid to the myth that he'd never escape the image of Harold Steptoe as he plays Wiggy, a well meaning jobsworth supervisor. My VHS tape had the full ending, this DVD has the edited ending which I actually prefer. Mr Essex even redeems himself slightly with a quite catchy theme tune, but I still can't help thinking he was miscast.

Walking on the Moon: The Untold Story of the "Police"
Walking on the Moon: The Untold Story of the "Police"
by Chris Campion

3.0 out of 5 stars I Come To Bury The Police Not To Praise Them, 8 Nov. 2014
The Police already have their place in music history secured, they have been called the first supergroup of the 80s though they were actually formed in the 70s, and had a string of hits including some all time classics. But for Sting & Co the journey has not always been smooth sailing, and this book doesn't hold back on airing the dirty laundry. The arguments, feuds, wheeling, dealing, infighting, tantrums, it's all here.

It's not exactly a book of glowing adulation, as for whether the book 100% factual, I'm not sure, but I did find it an entertaining read, and at the end of the day it has not had any sort of detrimental effect on my enjoyment of the groups music, though it has enlightened me to the atmosphere some of the songs were recorded in.

The Strange and Saucy World of Benny Hill
The Strange and Saucy World of Benny Hill
by Dennis Kirkland

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fred Scuttle Seal Of Approval, 8 Nov. 2014
I've always had my suspicions about Denis Kirkland, that he was responsible for the 'sexing up' of Bennys latter shows and adding fuel to the urban myth that Benny was some sort of dirty old man who considered women to be amusing sex objects. I haven't really changed my opinion on that, however, I found this to be a pretty well, affectionately written and highly enjoyable book. I learned more about Benny than I had from other books, or at least was reminded of things I'd forgotten. I also got an insiders view of Benny, a truer picture, a myth dispelling picture of someone who was not only a comedy genius who adored and respected women, but also a very private person adored and respected his need for personal freedom.

G.G. Allin - Raw, Brutal, Live and Bloody - Best of 1991 [DVD]
G.G. Allin - Raw, Brutal, Live and Bloody - Best of 1991 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gg Allin

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sh*t Hit The Fans, 8 Nov. 2014
To say GG Allin had issues is the biggest understatement since Emperor Hirohito said the bomb on Hiroshema was a bit naughty. Night after night he acted out his self destruction on stage and the faithful lapped it up. Now, for the benefit of those of us who enjoyed his hard rocking b@lls to the wall performances but prefer to keep a safer distance from brown flying objects we have DVDs such as this. Quality is pretty good all in all, though as with most GG Allin performances there is a rawness to the footagage, then again, there was a rawness to GG Allin.

In His Own Write & A Spaniard in the Works
In His Own Write & A Spaniard in the Works
by John Lennon

3.0 out of 5 stars He's Not A Girl Who Misses Much, 8 Nov. 2014
I've always had trouble working out why anyone who would leave a blonde hottie like Cynthia for Yoko could be labeled a genius, but it's clear John Lennons mind could go to weird and wonderful places, with or without chemical assistance, and in this quirky collection, it clearly does. Seemingly influenced by Stanley Unwin (or perhaps he influenced Stanley Unwin) I didn't always find it an easy read, but it was both fascinating and amusing all the same, with drawings as equally off the wall as the writings.

No-one he thought was in his tree, I mean it must be high or low, or perhaps he was just out of his tree

G.G. Allin: Terror In America - Live 1993 [DVD]
G.G. Allin: Terror In America - Live 1993 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gg Allin

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Of The Poops, 8 Nov. 2014
One look at the cover will tell you this ain't a Cliff Richard and Pat Boone gospel special. If you're into GG Allin then you'll know what to expect, and by damn you'll get it! Among his last ever performances and he's on top form. The sound and picture quality is among the best I've ever seen on any GG Allin release. Personally speaking the Aids Brigade DVD is still my favourite but this is one still a must for fans.

Never Say Die
Never Say Die

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable song, albeit slightly ironic what with the ..., 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Never Say Die (MP3 Download)
An enjoyable song, albeit slightly ironic what with the passing of legends Cozy Powell and John Entwistle before its release.

Columbine
Columbine
by Dave Cullen

4.0 out of 5 stars What seemed to be two loners seeking vengeance on popular ..., 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Columbine (Paperback)
What seemed to be two loners seeking vengeance on popular kids at their school was in fact a lot deeper. On April 20th 1999 A psychopath and a suicidal romantic took school killings to a chilling new level. This thoroughly researched book separates the myths from the even more fascinating facts.

Outnumbered - Series 5 [DVD]
Outnumbered - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Skinner
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Swan Song, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Outnumbered - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
They say all good things come to an end and Outnumbered is no exception. It has been one of the brightest, wittiest and most enjoyable shows on British television in recent years, but it has run it's course. Karen has turned into another self opinionated pre teen who actually caused me to do a double take as I thought for a second she was being played by a different actress, and Ben is an overgrown caricature of his former self just seemingly going through the 'Ben' motions. I must say though on a positive note, in what has turned out to be very astute casting, Jake is starting to resemble his dad to the point were if someone wrongly told me Hugh and Tyger were father and son in real life I wouldn't have doubted them.

As for the writing and/or improv, it hasn't been the best of the series, in fact if the show were to continue I believe this is the point where many would say it 'jumped the shark', but it's still amusing enough to separate me from my hard earned cash.

Diggin' An Early Grave (Live)
Diggin' An Early Grave (Live)

5.0 out of 5 stars I opened myself to the darkest of joys, 27 Jan. 2014
This is one of my all time fave Duke Special songs, a real toe tapper. It's also great to hear singing in a local accent and not just the usual generic yankee twang that so many singers use be they from Aberdeen or Milton Keynes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3