Profile for Rich > Reviews

Science in Sport Caffeine Energy Gels - Box of 6 -Double Espresso
Science in Sport Caffeine Energy Gels - Box of 6 -Double Espresso

5.0 out of 5 stars A High Caffeine Hit When You Need It Most, 21 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a long distance cyclist, my "emergency" kit always includes an energy gel and a power bar. If I sense that I'm approaching the bonk, then I have something to give me a kick and get me home.

Traditionally my gel has been an normal isotonic SIS or High5 product, but these more specialised high caffeine products are even better suited to that role. They are very high in caffeine, to an extent that the manufacturer recommends no more than 2 per day. Having tried one, I can testify that the caffeine hit is quite pronounced. Perhaps five minutes after ingestion there's a noticeable high, both in terms of my head and my legs. As a coffee drinker, I find the taste perfectly ok, but I never expect too much of these products. I had no upset stomach issues, but I rarely suffer in that respect.

Bearing in mind the high caffeine aspect, I don't think this is a product that I'd use on a regular basis, and it's probably best suited for endurance events as a last resort pick-me-up. For more explosive type sports, I can imagine they would be ideal for that extra boost.

CobraCo Vintage Copper Fire Pit
CobraCo Vintage Copper Fire Pit

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Handsome Firepit for the Perfect Summer Evening, 21 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to think of a more idyllic situation; a late Summer evening, sat around a fire pit with a glass of wine. If that appeals to you, then this fire pit is the perfect addition to your garden.

The pictures here certainly do justice to the product. The copper bowl is a really handsome thing, and the design and the hammered effect make it very striking. Just in terms of looks, it makes an elegant feature in your garden.

I found assembly to be pretty straightforward. I note a few people have had issues with the quality of the stand. Mine was fine; the holes aligned nicely and I didn't strip any of the bolts. Once assembled it feels sufficiently sturdy and robust, but not too heavy that it can't be moved, perhaps for storage in the winter.

We have a log fire in the home, so always have a plentiful supply of seasoned logs. As there is a mesh try in the bottom of the bowl, there is sufficient airflow to make the fire easy to light and maintain. The spark guard is effective and looks good when in place, but I much prefer the open top so you can get the full effect. There is also a vinyl cover, but that seems a little flimsy and I don't expect there's any chance it will survive a winter, so come Autumn I'll put the fire pit away until the light evenings return.

This is quite an expensive item, and there are many cheaper fire pits out there. But I doubt you'll find one that makes quite such an impact as this one. If you've a patio with furniture that is missing that one striking feature to complete the effect, then this could be just what you want.

BiC Cristal Original 1.0 mm Ball Pen - Black, Pack of 10
BiC Cristal Original 1.0 mm Ball Pen - Black, Pack of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Best, 16 Aug. 2016
There may be cheaper ball pens out there, but they won't be better. Everything you'd expect at a great price. I note some other reviewers stating that the pens they received weren't original Bic pens, but mine certainly are; exactly as advertised and pictured.

Science in Sport 60 ml Go Isotonic Energy Gel Selection Box - Pack of 20
Science in Sport 60 ml Go Isotonic Energy Gel Selection Box - Pack of 20

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and Energising, 16 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use gels as a part of my cycling nutrition/hydration regime. I find they help on longer duration rides, and I also carry a couple on each ride just in case I get the bonk. Normally I buy High5 gels as they are frequently on BOGOF. As a brand, I've used a number of SIS products and I've always been very satisfied with them. This selection box is an interesting concept as it allows you a chance to determine which is most/least palatable. I'll be honest and say that the flavour of these gels isn't hugely important to me. They are simply a source of energy, so once consumed they are washed down with water and the taste is quickly forgotten. However, I can report that none of these are particularly nice or nasty.

The packaging states that these are isotonic and can be taken without a drink. As I'm already using an isotonic drink, and would always wash a gel down to dispense the taste, that's not hugely important to me, though I guess it could be more relevant to a runner than a cyclist. These are though 60ml gels, so less concentrated than the smaller gels, which is my preference. Other than that, they perform exactly as I would expect, sustaining my performance on longer rides. As with other gels, the packing suggests three per hour. On a six hour ride, that could make things very expensive and I don't accept that is necessary, unless perhaps you're a very serious athlete. For me, one an hour in the later stages of longer rides alongside a small quantity of food and water has got me through even the toughest rides.

The Falling [DVD]
The Falling [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maxine Peake

1.0 out of 5 stars Self Indulgent Nonsense, 12 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Falling [DVD] (DVD)
Well that's 1 hour 40 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Self indulgent nonsense. Certainly no Picnic at Hanging Rock. I can't imagine where all those four star reviews came from. "A Fantastical Horror"? Really? All very slow, pointless and artfully deliberate. There's a sub plot of teenage girls discovering their sexuality, so this might just appeal to that demographic, but otherwise I can see nothing in this film to recommend. In fact I'm at a complete loss as to how anyone could think that making this film was a good idea.

The Food Doctor On Your Whey Banana and Cacao Meal in a Bar with Chia 65 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Cyclists, 10 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a cyclist I've eaten a fair few energy bars in my time, and most are pretty forgettable. A bit like chewy sawdust. Whilst this product isn't marketed as a sports energy bar, it fulfills most of the requirements in terms of energy and protein.

First impressions are that they are larger than your average bar; at 65g they provide a decent snack. In terms of size, they are ideal for a cyclist's back pocket. And for taste, well it's a little difficult to describe, but not unpleasant. I thought there was a slight smell of banana, but no taste that I could detect. Perhaps a hint of cocoa, or was that date? I'm really not sure. But compared to most of their type, these were pretty good, and certainly not offensive. Where they score really highly in my book is that they are quite moist, and easy to swallow and digest. Some bars can be difficult to swallow after a few bites, but not these. They require a fair bit of chewing, so give your jaws a bit of a workout, but that's fine with me.

Afterward I felt fine. No ill effects, other than perhaps a bit of a thirst, but that's normal. I certainly felt that my hunger had gone and finished the ride strongly. So whilst they may not be intended at cyclists or sportsmen, I think they provide an excellent means of refueling and satisfying your hunger.

HopCentury Lava LED Watch Unisex Digital Bracelet Wristwatch Metal Band for Men Kid Women - Red LED Light
Offered by HopCentury Electronic Co., LTD (UK Team)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Of Fun, 9 Aug. 2016
It's a bit of fun, and it works as described. Unfortunately for my watch I was simply unable to get the catch to work, so it was unusable. Other reviewers don't appear to haven't reported similar issues, so perhaps I was just unlucky. As a free sample, I didn't attempt to contact the seller for replacement.

Note: I was provided with this item at no cost in return for an honest and objective review.

JOOWEN Unisex Cotton Adjustable Plain Baseball Cap - Unstructured 10 Colors(Black)
Offered by Zhongenou

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Quality Cap at a Good Price, 9 Aug. 2016
So I may not be your typical baseball cap wearer, but I think this is rather elegant. Finished in a faux suede fabric, it feels nice to the touch and looks rather smart. The peak is quite short, which is important if you're not trying to look too ridiculous. The strap is easily adjustable with a metal clasp. I have quite a large head, and it fits me very well, but would be easily adjustable to those with a more "normal" head size.

Overall I think this is a nice quality cap at a good price that could easily be worn by someone older who simply wants to keep the sun off their head and out of their eyes.

Note: I was provided with this item at a reduced price in return for an honest and objective review.

SMILEE Replacement Toothbrush Heads for Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean BEST VALUE Multipack (4)
Offered by Onenines UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of their type., 9 Aug. 2016
These are reasonably priced Philips Sonic replacement heads, but not the cheapest. I would say the bristles are a little softer than the originals. In early use a few of the bristles came lose, which is a little disappointing. The length of the bristles is slightly longer than other replacement heads that I've used, meaning the brush is not as comfortable to use and I often find that back of the brush making contact with my teeth. There are cheaper third-party replacements heads available of better quality, in which case I don't feel I can recommend this particular brand very strongly.

Note: I was provided with this item at no const on the basis of an honest and objective review.

Parker Quinkflow Ball Pen Refill with Medium Nib - Blue
Parker Quinkflow Ball Pen Refill with Medium Nib - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 9 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Somethings don't need to change for the better. I'm pretty sure this is the same Parker refill that I first bought forty years ago for my school exams. It writes beautifully, with an even flow of ink and no smudging or blotting. Designed to fit into any current or older Parker ballpoint, this is a timeless item that can't be bettered.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20