Profile for foomum > Reviews

I'd Rather Be the Devil: Skip James and the Blues
I'd Rather Be the Devil: Skip James and the Blues
by Stephen Calt

2.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a free bar of soap......, 17 Jun. 2013
I had read some of the previous reviews of this book, it's fair to say that none of them do it justice. I was hoping to read a balanced biography of a blues giant. Recording session details would have been appreciated, likewise a discography of what is available by Skip James on cd and vinyl. Instead what the author has produced is nothing but the worst kind of hatchet job. Stephen Calt seems to have despised just about everyone he ever came into contact with. Whether they be fellow blues fans, blues concert promotors, other blues musicians or record company personnel none of them are safe from the venom filled bile that the author deems fit pour over everyone. The very worst of that bile is reserved for Skip James. I will not repeat some of the rubbish that the author has composed between the covers of this book, suffice to say that Stephen Calt was very wise to wait until the subject had passed away before getting this published. I'm sure that he would have been sued to hell and back if Skip James had still been alive when this thing went into print. All this is bad enough, but the single thing I have found to be the most offensive about this book is the fact that the "facts" in it, according to the author, all come from taped conversations with the subject. The author brazenly states at the very beginning of the book that he regularly went to the home of Skip James and his wife during the sixties and recorded conversations where the subject would talk about his own life and all manner of other things. To then produce a rag such as this about the man, based on those alleged conversations, is probably the worst act of treachery I have ever seen in print. It does however say more about the true character of the author than he can ever hope to say about his subject. I can only think of one worse thing than having Stephen Calt as an author and that would have been having him for a neighbour. Would I recommend this book? Not on your life, it has no redeeming factors at all and as an alleged "biography", it is well suited for inclusion in the "fiction" section of your local library .Why the free bar of soap as mentioned in the title of this review? Well, after reading this I wanted to wash my hands. They felt dirty.

Hey Ho Let's Go - Anthology
Hey Ho Let's Go - Anthology
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest ever American band.............?, 16 April 2013
The sticker on my copy has the legend,"Contains 57 tracks by the band including the smash hits,"Blitzrieg Bop","California Sun",Sheena Is A Punk Rocker","Rockaway Beach","I Just Want To Have Something To Do","She's The One","Do You Remember Rock And Roll Radio?","Danny Says","I Don't Wanna Grow Up","The KKK Took My Baby Away" and many more".Okay,I lied about the last one.In fact,I lied about all of them but I defy anyone who has listened to any of the above gems not to be as baffled as I am as to why the Ramones never became bigger than bubble gum.This double set is simply crammed full of great songs that should have had "hit" written all over them.As a couple of them only really shaved the charts,the Ramones had to settle for simply playing a huge part in kickstarting a new musical genre and becoming the most influential American band since the Beach Boys.In fact the only band who can come near them for having such a direct influence on what came next are the Sex Pistols.It may be true that the Pistols had the hits.What they,or any other band since,did not possess though was the excitement,originality and lyrical wit that da brudders had.I guarantee that you will smile when you hear "Beat On The Brat",you will choke up a bit when you hear "Do You Remember Rock And Roll Radio"(after Chuck Berry's "Rock And Roll Music" the greatest song about rock and roll ever written?),and you will be seventeen again when you hear "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker".When you have finished doing that,turn on your radio.If its a rock or pop station on your dial, within three or four songs I pretty much guarantee that you will hear something that owes a nod and a thank you to the Ramones.I started this off by asking if this band were the greatest American band ever.Well at the real top of the scale I can only think of Elvis and the Beach Boys who maybe had as much musical influence and whose best material still sounds as timeless today as it did back when.Should the Ramones be in that company?Get this anthology and make your own mind up,I know what I think.

GIANTS
GIANTS

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stranglers have no right........, 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: GIANTS (Audio CD)
....after the best part of forty years as a band,to have made an album as good as "Giants".Probably like most that have reviewed this disc,I was a fan of the band from the first time I saw them way back in 1976.I bought the early singles and albums,loved them all,but our paths diverged.After reading a bit about the album,and hearing previews of a couple of the songs,I thought why not give it a go and get it.Now I cannot compare this album to previous Stranglers releases like "Aural Sculpture","Norfolk Coast" or even "Feline" because I haven't heard them,but I can tell you that the band have made a contemporary sounding record that does not have a weak track on it.On the evidence of "Giants",I will more than likely get "Suite 16" as that was the first album from the band when they reverted back to being a four piece again and that was probably looked on as a new start for the group.I think that long term fans would all love this album and newcomers would be pleasantly surprised,and finally,J.J. that bass still sounds like nobody else on earth."Giants" is a terrific collection of songs and a terrific album.

The Live Adventures Of (7 CD Set)
The Live Adventures Of (7 CD Set)
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars What They Say Is True..................., 4 Jan. 2012
The packaging is cheap,the information on the outer box is not 100% accurate,they are not all sound desk recordings and there are no band line ups or notes to put these recordings into any sort of perspective.All of the above do the legacy and memory of this band a disservice but what none of those component parts can obliterate is the beauty of some of the music because as any fan of this band already knows,Man could play and they could sing.So is this collection worth your hard earned spare change?I'd say it is as whats good on here is well worth a listen,the show from 1984 at the Sir James Club in Birkenhead is terrific for example and well recorded ,and what you hear is what the band sounded like on the night,overdub free and flying.As already said though,these are not overproduced,overdubbed to death glossy commercial recordings,that doesn't bother me too much as if its a band I like I can put up with the dips in sound quality,but they may not be to everyone's taste.What this box set may do though is remind you,through the sonic murk and allowing for the odd drop out,what a band Man were.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2012 10:14 AM GMT

Where The Sidewalk Ends [1950] [DVD]
Where The Sidewalk Ends [1950] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dana Andrews

4.0 out of 5 stars You'd Be Glad He's On Your Side........, 22 Feb. 2011
Mark Dixon has no redeeming features.Mark Dixon is a thug.Mark Dixon is a killer.Mark Dixon is a cop!This excellent film is one that I've fancied watching for a while and I was not disappointed.Dana Andrews in terrific as the main character and while I've read that some think his style 'wooden' and a bit featureless,for me he is perfect as the cop who hates criminals.A previous reviewer mentions 'Dirty Harry' and I feel that this comparision is not to far from the truth.As I was watching this film it struck me that Mark Dixon is not a likeable character.He is a dour,bitter man who would not think twice about beating the truth out of a suspect and, as Harry Callaghan does not go after his villians wise cracking away left,right and centre,this is the way Dana Andrews plays the lead in this film.Without giving to much away,you know,as this picture was made in 1950,that Dixon will have to face justice of some sort at the climax of the film,but the finale did take me by surprise.All in all,a terrific film and proof that Dana Andrews was a better actor than some would have others believe.Recommended.

London Live '68
London Live '68

1.0 out of 5 stars Flamin' Cheek............., 14 July 2010
This review is from: London Live '68 (Audio CD)
I have not heard this recording but to wrap the cd in a cover picture of the current Fleetwood Mac is pathetic.Most of this band were of course not in the band of that name that appears on this disc,this is surely a case for the Trades Descriptions people.

Great Hits
Great Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Bolan Boogie At It's Best.............., 28 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Great Hits (Audio CD)
This album is a truly great collection of T.Rex singles,both A and B sides,and for me there is no truer illustration of the peak that the band were on at the time.It could indeed be argued that T.Rex never surpassed the period '72/'73 when these tracks were recorded.It also speaks volumes of the absolute genius of Marc Bolan for writing great songs that tracks like 'Midnight','Thunderwing' and 'Sunken Rags' were all relegated to the B side's of hit singles.Every track is a monster and if someone asks you what all the fuss was about concerning Marc Bolan or T.Rex,then play them this.It's a fantastic album.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It......., 13 Feb. 2010
As someone relatively new to the music of Jimi Hendrix,I thought I'd take a chance on this box set.It includes mainly studio rehearsals,alternative mix's of some well known Hendrix tracks and various studio jams.It could well be argued that none of this material would ever be released if Hendrix were still alive today,however that would probably also stand for the so called 'authorised' albums and cd's that have come out over the years.If you keep in mind that you are not buying a box set of polished,commercially produced recordings,and can accept what you hear within its own terms then there is a hell of a lot here to enjoy.There are wonderful versions of things like 'Red House','Angel','All Along The Watchtower' and many more and some of the jams are just a pleasure to listen to.As I've said,I came to this as a Hendrix novice but I would recommend this box set to everyone whether long term fan or a late starter.