Profile for A. Hill > Reviews

Content by A. Hill

A. Hill "Jugarama" (Somerset, England)

Axel Scheffler's Noisy Jungle: A Counting Sound Book (Noisy Books)
Axel Scheffler's Noisy Jungle: A Counting Sound Book (Noisy Books)
by Axel Scheffler

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 3 Feb. 2014
Bought the 'Noisy Animals' book for my little man at Christmas, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and so I decided to get this one. And he absolutely loves it!! Fortunately (and coincidentally) he had developed a bit of an obsession for elephants and squealed with delight when he saw the aforementioned animal in this book. The whole book, like 'Noisy Animals', is extremely well illustrated with lots of interesting and imaginative things going on. The animals noises are very good and my little boy hasn't become tired of them yet - and they aren't so loud as to become annoying for parents. Well worth a look.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for six months then......, 20 Jan. 2014
Really disappointed with this product. Seemed to be working fine but then it started to make a rather worrying crackling noise, which caused a floor lamp (which was plugged into the same ring circuit) to constantly dim and brighten. Now we are reluctant to leave it plugged in unless we are in the room at the same time just in case it starts a fire. We are now looking for another replacement charger but are a little unsure which product to trust as the Anker seemed to get very positive reviews. Help!!!

UPDATE....

After an immediate (and pleasingly unexpected) response to this review from Anker, they have now informed me that they are happy to refund the cost of this charger. It's quite refreshing to come across a company that is prepared to go out of it's way to resolve problems in such a polite and professional manner. Thanks to Sunnie and Lucie for your excellent help and communication.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2014 6:07 AM GMT

Axel Scheffler's Noisy Farm: A Counting Soundbook (Noisy Books)
Axel Scheffler's Noisy Farm: A Counting Soundbook (Noisy Books)
by Smriti Prasadam-Halls
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 year old loved it., 15 Jan. 2014
I have never really had an opportunity to embrace anything by Axel Scheffler. But, with my 2 year old son just starting to try and learn and say new words, I thought (after spotting this in WHSmith and then sneakily Googling for the best price) that this looked interesting enough to grab his attention. So I placed my order with Amazon (sorry WHSmith!!) and looked forward to it's arrival a few days later. Within seconds of it being delivered by the postie and then being presented to my son he had become completely absorbed by it. The sounds are okay, with the exception of the pig (I haven't got a clue where they got that sample from but it's pretty poor!) but the artwork is superb. My son really enjoyed matching the sounds with the animals while we told him which animals were which. Now he can identify most of the animals (there are more than the six shown on the sound panel. Moles, goats, mice, owls to mention just a few) and will now take any opportunity he can to show off what he has learnt so far. The book itself is really sturdy and has remained undamaged despite my little lad's unintentional (?!) attempts to rip the pages out. Well worth buying if your little one loves animals or needs a little encouragement to learn new words.

BRITA Fill&Go Replacement Water Filter Discs - 8 Pack
BRITA Fill&Go Replacement Water Filter Discs - 8 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., 8 Sept. 2013
Don't really understand why so many people are struggling to drink out of their bottles - perhaps there are loads of defective bottles out there. I bought two for my wife and I and they work perfectly. If you use a bit of common sense you will realise that, unlike regular sports bottles, you can't turn it upside down. It works like drinking with a straw. You actually suck the water through the small carbon disc. We've been using ours for a month now with no issues. Even my two year old can use it. It's easy!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 11:57 AM GMT

BABYBJÖRN Cover for Baby Carrier (City Black)
BABYBJÖRN Cover for Baby Carrier (City Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!! Keeps your baby warm NOT dry., 19 Jan. 2012
If you're looking for a product that's going to keep your baby WARM while out and about then I recommend this to anybody. However, if you are looking for something to keep your little one DRY in wet weather then avoid this like the plague. We bought this as we were planning on taking our little fella with us on a few short walks in the Lake District over the Christmas/New year period and, with the wet weather forecast, we thought this would be ideal. A massive disappointment - it will NOT keep your baby dry!! Any rain will run down the front of your coat and saturate the baby carrier (and baby) where it lies against your chest. The item description is therefore very misleading when it states that it "Keeps the baby warm and dry". Another thing any buyer should be aware of is, although our little fella had to face inwards, the photograph showing the baby facing outwards with the hood on is very misleading - the hood will not attach securely behind his/her head. It only attaches securely if you have the baby facing inwards. In the end we decided to buy a water/windproof coat for our baby and use this over his pram suit before putting him into the carrier and then covering him with the cover. This did keep him warm and dry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 12:27 PM BST

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ
Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ
by Rik Mayall

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read - but could have been great!!, 24 Jan. 2007
WARNING!! If you are expecting this book to be a 'behind the curtains/flaps/quad hog crash induced coma' insight into the life, so far, of Rik Mayall then I advise you to steer clear.

What Rik has presented to the world is a sugar coated overview of his career to date which, although hysterically funny in parts, doesn't really reveal alot about the comedy legend. To be fair to 'The Rik Mayall', the book was never presented as a biography - the title itself gives any possible reader a clue as to what to expect.

What you should expect is a book that is bristling with hysterical storytelling and also, unfortunately, alot (I'm talking about whole chapters)of mind-numbing waffle that really should have been edited. The final chapter is dull but others glisten with a sprinkling of classic side-splitting Rik Mayall (His chapter on the carnage at the Ambassadors Theatre in Woking immediately springs to mind).

If you are a genuine Rik Mayall fan I would definitely recommend this book but dont expect an easy time of it.