Profile for Valerie Burgues > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Forever Gate Series: Books 4-5
The Forever Gate Series: Books 4-5

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 29 July 2016
Part sci-fi, part fantasy, if you liked The Matrix and/or AI stories, you will like these books and this series. Not your usual sci-fi, this story is a bit on the darker side but it still pulls you in. So go on and pick up your copy and enter a world where even the seemingly impossible is possible.

Cross Kill: BookShots (An Alex Cross Thriller)
Cross Kill: BookShots (An Alex Cross Thriller)
by James Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Back where it all began!, 3 Jun. 2016
First, let me start by saying a big thank you to Sean Comstock from Little, Brown and Co. in NYC and to Random House in the UK for sending me an advance copy of this bookshot.

I love, love, love this format! It’s a very portable book that you can read on the go. It is ideal for anyone but especially those who find it hard to include reading into their busy schedule. I hope this new book format will be readily available, not just in bookstore but in grocery stores at the cash registers and in gas stations as well. It’d be a fantastic way to promote reading at an affordable price!

Although this story is about Gary Soneji, the serial killer in Along came a Spider, Alex Cross’ first novel, don’t feel that you have to read it before you read this book. James Patterson’s skills are such that it will not put a damper on your enjoyment of this intriguing story. Mr Patterson is also a master at making your emotions run high. You’ll feel thrills, excitement and shock in quick sequence. This is a high octane story and despite being only 113 pages, it does not take away from the quality of the storytelling. I also like that the story is innovative in that, among other things, it brings up the dark web which people may or may not be aware of. Even if it’s your first time coming across Alex Cross, he’ll feel like an old friend. Hence why the ending made me want to get my hands on the next book ASAP and trust me, this is not always how I feel about a cliff-hangers. Well done again James!

Destroyer of Worlds (ARKANE Book 8)
Destroyer of Worlds (ARKANE Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing!, 1 May 2016
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I can't say it enough, I LOVE Joanna's books! Her research is second to none and her characters are well developed. This new story does not disappoint in any way and her descriptions of places, sounds and smells are so well done that it made me feel like I was the one travelling through India again. Some may argue that there are parts that are a bit farfetched but don't let these people sway you as the ARKANE series is a work of fiction. They are thrillers which intermingle artifacts and places with a touch of the supernatural. When I read, I like to be transported away from reality and this is exactly what Destroyer of Worlds has done for me and it was lovely to see Morgan and Jake reunited again. I can't wait for the next book in this amazing series!

The Pendulum Swings (The Forever Gate Book 8)
The Pendulum Swings (The Forever Gate Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspensful, 20 April 2016
I received an advanced copy in return for an honest review.

Hoodwink is back on Ganymede. Together with Ari, Tanner and the "children" he's trying to find a way to get rid of the new more powerful threat from the aliens and figure out who is wanting to take over and destroy life as they know it from the inside. This chapter is not as action packed as other episodes but it still manages to keep you in suspense until the very end.

Walls of Steel (The Forever Gate Book 7)
Walls of Steel (The Forever Gate Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoodwink returns!, 6 April 2016
Although this book is the 7th one in the Forever Gate series, it is slightly different to the other episodes in the series. The cliffhanger in book 6 tells us that someone returns, but who? This story focuses on Hoodwink (or Graol as he is know by the Santori) trying to find his way back to Ganymede and getting a grasp about his own duality. The story explores the relationship between humans and Santori and contains, as usual, plenty of subplots to keep you guessing even though the pace is not as fast as with other episodes. My favourite episode so far.

I received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Rebirth (The Forever Gate Book 6)
Rebirth (The Forever Gate Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebirth, 22 Mar. 2016
I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ari and Tanner face their biggest challenge yet in their mission to stop the returning aliens from destroying what's left of the humans. Part sci-fi, part fantasy, if you liked The Matrix and/or AI stories, you will like this book and this series. Not your usual sci-fi, this story is a bit on the darker side but it still pulls you in. So go on and pick up your copy and enter a world where even the seemingly impossible is possible.

Flagship (A Captain's Crucible Book 1)
Flagship (A Captain's Crucible Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 24 Feb. 2016
Although I like science fiction, I sometimes find it a bit cumbersome. It was not the case with Isaac Hooke’s story. Flagship is loaded with adventure, action as well as plenty of twists and turns reaching an ending I did not see coming. I’m looking forward to reading the second book in the series.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest opinion.

Terminal Phase (Ethan Galaal Book 3)
Terminal Phase (Ethan Galaal Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Copperhead and Maelstrom, a winning combination!, 28 Dec. 2015
I received a free copy from the author in exchange from an honest review!

This is my first Ethan Galaal book and it won't be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and if it took me 3 days to read it's only because Christmas and Boxing Day happened. I like that Ethan is flawed yet he is a strong character. The story is slightly reminiscent of a James Bond one but it's a good thing in my book (pun intended). Isaac Hooke writes in such a way that he makes you feel like you are in the middle of the action, almost like watching a movie in 3D. I also did appreciate and enjoy the fact that Isaac Hooke has done extensive research, both in terms of the places described as well as the techincal side of the equipment used by the two main protagonists. All in all, this book is a very enjoyable and fast paced read that keeps you guessing. Get your copy now!

Shoot First (Ingrid Skyberg FBI Thrillers Book 5)
Shoot First (Ingrid Skyberg FBI Thrillers Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and unputdownable!, 9 Dec. 2015
I received an advanced free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was wondering if I could spot differences between this book and others in the series writen by Eva Hudson since, sadly, Eva passed away and her friend and editor Jo Monroe finished this book. I am happy to say that I did not see any. I was drawn in the story right away and it felt like I was meeting with an old friend. I love that Eva is flawed and so very human. The story is fast paced and keeps you wanting to read more. Jo has done an excellent job and Eva's legacy can go on, which is great news for all of us who are fan of Ingrid Skyberg and Eva's work. Get your copy and immerse yourself in the story, you won't be disappointed!

Risen Gods
Risen Gods

5.0 out of 5 stars New Zealand, the Maori culture and a fast-paced, thrilling adventure!, 27 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Risen Gods (Kindle Edition)
I received a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Aotearoa (New Zealand) is on my bucket list and I've always been interested in knowing more about the Maori, their culture and myths so this book was just what I would be interested in reading. I can honestly say that I devoured it in one night and it has left me wanting to know more about the fascinating Tangata Whenau and reinforced my desire to spend some time in these beautiful Pacific Rim of Fire islands.

The book is fast paced, the story full of details about the myths and the various locations which makes you feel like you are right there with the characters. And although the main characters are in their early 20's, the story is also about their trials, a sort of coming of age or more accurately the shift one can experience when faced with disaster and how one reacts to it, either for the greater good or as a greedy opportunist.

To say I am a fan of J.F. Penn is an understatement, I have read 6 of her this books so far. I am becoming familiar with her style of writing and the extensive research she puts into each and every one of her books. I haven't read other books by J. Thorn yet (but that's coming) so I was very interested in seeing if I could find differences in the writing and how it would all tie in. The collaboration between these 2 authors has worked semalessly and I cannot wait to read another of their books. They have worked hard at developing the characters in a way that wasn't rushed and that was a feat considering the book is only 171 pages.

If you like to "travel" while reading and enjoy the fantastic and/or the supernaturel, don't hesitate to pick up Risen Gods, you won't regret it. Now, take your Kindle, curl up in bed and make sure you have a "Do not disturb" sign handy as you will want to finish it in one go!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3