Profile for Frank Friedmann > Reviews

Frank Friedmann

Grândola vila morena
Grândola vila morena

5.0 out of 5 stars The song that heralded a revolution!, 28 Jun. 2013
Although it's a song of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire it's an inspiration for oppressed people the world over, and is increasingly being sung on demonstrations and rallies in many countries. I downloaded this original version by José (Zeca) Afonso to help me to learn it.

Perhaps the most poignant rendition was when it was sung from the public gallery in the Portuguese Parliament earlier in 2013 in protest at the government's collaboration with the Troika's cruel 'austerity' programme (the Troika being the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the European Central Bank). It was saying - you who now run the country - we liken you to the old dictatorship. And be warned - just as we overcame that, we'll overcome you!

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for a celebration, 14 April 2013
I didn't buy this to listen to, but to add my voice to all those who remember how much we have lost since the 1980s.

Using WordPress
Using WordPress
by Tris Hussey

1.0 out of 5 stars You don't get the advertised web extras, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Using WordPress (Paperback)
This book seems to give little more help than you'd get from free resources online. One specific I wanted help with was the design issues to consider when choosing a theme. This book (like wordpress itself) makes colour the most important issue, rather than practical considerations of what you want your WP webside to support and do.
On top of that, because I've had a book from this publisher before I don't qualify for free access to the book's website - I need to pay a pricey subscription.
Definitely not recommended.

ASUS USB-N53 Dual-Band Wireless-N600 USB Adapter, USB 3.0, WPS, Graphical Easy Interface
Offered by CUBS Computer Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps streaming over wifi, 14 April 2013
My wifi router broadcasts over 2.4 and 5 GHz but my laptop only has the former. I've found this dongle helps avoid buffering problems when I use it (tuned to 5GHz) and the internal wifi (on 2.4) together (yes - you can do this!).
What I don't like is the fancy flashy casing - it's so wide and thick it overlaps and blocks other adjacent usb ports.

Samsung Battery Charger Stand for Galaxy Note (No Battery Included) - Black
Samsung Battery Charger Stand for Galaxy Note (No Battery Included) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 21 April 2012
This handy charger has 2 benefits. Coupled with a spare battery, it means the phone is constantly available. But it also saves wear and tear on the tiny usb connector on the phone which I imaging would be a big big cost item if it wore out (phone warranties seem full of small print that let dealers/manufacturers wriggle out). The phone stand seems pretty pointless, but the gadget does make a useful protective case when carrying a spare battery around.
I'd say this (and a spare battery of course) are vital accessories.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 10:52 PM BST

Casio Collection Men's Watch with White Analogue Display and Resin Strap MQ-24-7BLL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch - shame about the strap, 21 April 2012
This is my third of these watches - until long-sight set in I used to always use digital, but fnd I need a clear analogue watch now if I'm to be able to read it without glasses. This one is so clear - the scale is well marked with minute ticks and the long black minute hand reaches near enough to them.
It's let down by the quality of the strap - I haven't ever found a replacement that's significantly cheaper than the watch, and as the battery will run out after a few years as well and will also cost a bit, I'd say replace the watch when either the strap or the battery gives out. Total cost is less than a battery for most other watches.

A backlight would be a nice extra, but really I almost never need it.

If you need a simple, legible, accurate watch, this has to be the one!

Samsung Battery for Galaxy Note GT-N7000
Samsung Battery for Galaxy Note GT-N7000
Offered by Saintpaulia Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as original, 21 April 2012
Apart from the s/n and date (which is more recent) this is indistinguishable from the original battery that came with the phone. It's life is just as short, for which reason I only give 4 stars - it doesn't seem inferior to the original.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Do you have an Olympus device?, 27 Mar. 2011
A few things in the product leaflet not clear from the description:

'not suitable for conference recording'
'Do not use this microphone with any recorder that cannot supply power to an external microphone'

Most small microphones need no power supply, and will at least work to some extent with a wide range of devices. Not so this one.

It works with my Olympus DS-330 - and presumably with other Olympus recorders, assuming that all their products supply the necessary voltage.

It does not work at all (even though the 3.5mm jack is a perfect fit) with anything else I have of other brands such as PC, laptop, mp3 players, cassette-type walkman, PA/Karakoke machine, etc.