Profile for Mark > Reviews

Wool (Wool Trilogy)
Wool (Wool Trilogy)
by Hugh Howey

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely over rated, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Wool (Wool Trilogy) (Paperback)
It seems that a lot of people love this book - I did not. The underlying idea is an interesting one - but harks back to lots of science fiction novels of the 1960s and 1970s where there was a post apocalyptic society. Now there are a few twists in Wool which I will not give away. But my major problem with the book is its dullness. The writing style is slow and the characters are portrayed in such away that I found myself unable to care about them. The only reason I kept reading was to find out why they were in the silos. The loss of major characters should have a deep impression on me but it did not. So a good idea but poorly executed with a ponderous slow writing style that really did not breath life in to the characters.

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
by Anthony Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - believe the hype, 10 April 2014
Over the last few years I have waded my through lots of mediocre fantasy books looking for a world in which I could immerse myself. Anthony Ryan I produced the book I have been looking for - wonderful coming of age story with strong likable characters set in a strong rich world. This is not a good vs bad story but really about one mans struggle to balance honour and morality. Brilliant. All I can say is Anthony please write quicker as I want to read the next book.

Bizet: Carmen
Bizet: Carmen

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Bizet: Carmen (Audio CD)
One of the best ever recording of Carmen and my personal favourite. Beautifully conducted by Sir Solti and the singing is exquisite. An especially high is the singing of Tatiana Troyanos.

Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
by Lee Child

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 10 April 2014
By far the worst Reacher book - it almost as the author was going through the motions. He turns up, he hits people, he runs away with beautiful women, makes a few phone calls, hit a few more people - and it all over. No twists, no need for thinking and apart from a long distance flight nothing would have made me finish it. It is a great shame as many of the other books in this series are five star. Lee if you read these reviews please try to put some effort into the next book.

Dead Harvest (Angry Robot)
Dead Harvest (Angry Robot)
by Chris F. Holm

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak plot - could have been so much more, 27 Oct. 2013
Dark Harvest could have been an excellent novel. It is an original concept and contains some nice moody writing. But for me the fundamental failure of the book was the plot. The motivation of the characters was weak and lacked depth and hence the plot seemed forced at many places. The main issue I have, however, is with the turning point in book; there is a random piece of luck or coincidence which then empowers the main character. This 'find' is never explained and struck me as lazy writing - (warning plot 'such as it is' spoiler) it seems the author is basically not sure how to get out of the situation where the all power demon is going to destroy the place so he sticks a magic jar in handy reach of the hero -- this magic jar fragment helps said hero survive the rest of the book. There are so many other sophisticated ways the hero could have become empowered - but no the random magic item is used. It does mean I will not be reading any more of his books even if the writing gets better.

Homunculus (Langdon St. Ives)
Homunculus (Langdon St. Ives)
by James P. Blaylock

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull and guess what dull!, 20 Oct. 2013
I had high expectations when I bought this book - great reviews and a cool steampunk world. But do not bother, though the steampunk London is described well and is atmospheric, everything else is poor. The characters are dull and you really never engagement with any of them. The story line is dull and there is very little energy in the writing and at times it is hard to be bothered to turn the next page. So painfully did the story get that half way through I gave up reading the book. Now I never give up on a book so it must be bad for me to do that and hence why I felt I should put a review up on Amazon to save others the same pain.

John Adams Mr Creepy Magic TV Craft Kit
John Adams Mr Creepy Magic TV Craft Kit
Offered by Universal Product Solutions

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money, 26 April 2012
Please do not waste your money on this rubbish. My daughter did all her homework and chores for three weeks to get this toy. She was so excited but boy were we disappointed. First everything is so poorly made some of the tricks do not work. For example the coin slide ... the plastic is so twisted that the coin can not fall through the middle so you can not do the trick. Others such as the finger guillotine are so poorly made you can see how the metal moves away from the finger giving the trick away. The great shame is that a little more care and better made items and this would be a fun present. But it just shows what a lot of TV marketing can do to sell stuff to kids who are then deeply disappointed by the plastic poorly made rubbish they get sent. I wish they had spent the marketing money on the product not the PR. Please do not waste your money on this rubbish.