Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Discover more Shop now

Is this good for someone starting out with civ and want to get into it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2008 12:07:22 BDT
C. Dinnage says:
Is this good for someone starting out with civ and want to get into it? The computer one sounds too long to me and the demo for civ iii is too complicated but i love the idear.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2008 21:32:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jun 2008 21:34:36 BDT
C. Armstrong says:
I reckon it's a good place to start, as other reviews have said, if you aren't comparing Civ Rev to the PC versions then it's a really, really good game, certainly up there as one of the best console strategy games. While not as deep as the PC versions a lot of the ideas and concepts like government types, diplomacy and trade are still in there, but it's never overwhelming - there is an in-game tutorial that gives advice and provides an overview to the game's concepts and ideas - failing that, the manual is clear and helpful too. There's five levels of difficulty so you can run through it at the lower levels until you find your feet and find a level that suits you. Being turn-based it the game plays out at your pace, you finish your go when you're ready, and unlike the PC version you only need to set aside a few hours to play it (although you can always save the game!).

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2008 20:51:33 BDT
C. Dinnage says:
thanks. i bought it and i really like it.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2008 19:00:36 BDT
Can you guys tell me how many hours you end up playing this game? I quite fancy it, but afraid that it might lose it's appeal quite quickly. Also, how much fun is the online mode? As a slow, conservative strategy sim, will it hold my attention when COD4 is sitting there screaming me to get fragging online? Maybe this game can chill me out a bit!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2008 18:42:43 BDT
C. Armstrong says:
I can certainly say that as a single player game it outlasted COD4 by a fair distance, although to be fair that's not a difficult task! The length of the game, and how much you get out of it, is determined by how willing you are to experiment in achieving the various types of victory possible. If you plan on winning every game by using the same method, it's going to shorten the experience, and make the game seem quite repetitive. In single-player, the game just produces a random map with 4 random opponents, the only variable is the difficulty you set and the civilization you choose to play as. Once the game is won (usually around a day's play), you start again, there's no actual 'campaign mode'. I guess that's what put a lot of people off who'd had played the PC versions, the thought of getting through a game only to start again so soon, compared to the weeks and weeks a PC Civ game could last meant you'd almost forgotten what it was like at the start!
In addition the standard single playe there is a "Game of the Week" mode, where players compete in single player mode and the final score is uploaded to a league table (everyone plays the same map with the same opponents). There are a series of scenarios, too, which add some length to the single player mode, but in my opinion they tend to favour the conquest side of the game too much - they seem to be based around having super-powerful soldiers or lots of barbarian tribes on the map.
The multiplayer mode is a pleasant enough experience. I've got COD4, and Warhawk, but I'm not particularly good at either (PSN id: MugsyBalone, if you don't believe me), so the more sedate pace of Civ is a nice alternative to the relatively breakneck pace of other games, and there is a certain joy to be had from cooperating with another player to conquer the world only to stab him in the back. Well, if you didn't do it to them, they'd only do it to you! Unfortunately, CivRev is relatively unpopular - not that it isn't a good game - so outside of peak times you may struggle to find other players. Sunday afternoon is your best bet for that one. It won't stop you playing COD, but would certainly give you a few hours respite from the front lines! Whether it'd chill you out is dependant on how upset you get when the inevitable backstabbing sets in...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  16 Jun 2008
Latest post:  16 Jul 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution (PS3)
Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution (PS3) by Take 2 Interactive (PlayStation 3)
3.5 out of 5 stars (76)