Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

OT: Amazon Prime TV streaming

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2014, 09:48:08 GMT
RABB says:
Anyone noticed the thing in the top right? Looks like starting Tuesday Amazon are launching a streaming service to Prime customers.

To me it looks like it's probably LoveFilm, has anyone read more on this though? If it's true, it'd be good to be able to cancel my Lovefilm although my account's slightly confusing. I originally signed up with a googlemail address as I'd had a trial account years ago and I wanted another for the £15 voucher. But then when Amazon took over and started rebranding it asked me to link my Amazon account, which is the e-mail that I used years ago.

So it's gonna be interesting to see what happens now. Anyone in a similar position?

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 09:51:44 GMT
It's basically the same service they offer in the USA.... the catch however which they don't seem to be telling people is the price has gone up to £79

Check your Prime subscriptions page it's shows £79 to renew

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2014, 10:01:16 GMT
RABB says:
I paid £49 to renew last month thankfully

If it's £79 I might seriously consider not renewing to be honest. Although I pay a fiver a month for Lovefilm as it is, so that extra 30 quid would pay for itself, I don't buy nearly enough on here as I used to to make it worth it.

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 11:02:47 GMT
Yeah at £49 buy enough to cover that cost so it's worth it to me

I already have a Netflix account which is miles, far and above what LoveFilm had so I really don't see the need for it anymore

I like having Prime though but I'm never going to use the streaming so they extra charges aren't worth it

My subscription is up in September I imagine I'll just cancel then if they don't have an option for just the delivery stuff

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 11:20:02 GMT
AndyBSG says:
From what i've read it's just a bundled amazon Prime/Lovefilm deal and includes Kindle book lending(also seems the Kindle lending is a bit rubbish as there's limits on it).

I don't have Prime or Lovefilm so at £50 for a year i'm toying with it but doubt i'd pay the full £80 price once it's up for renewal.

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 11:46:22 GMT
Datolite says:
Amazon is having a bit of a spring clean, combining its 'Prime' free one-day delivery service with its streaming video offering -- a move that will see Lovefilm Instant turning into Amazon Prime Instant Video.

For £79 per year, you'll get unlimited access to Amazon's library of more than 15 thousand movies and TV shows, as well as the company's free one-day delivery when you buy from its site, plus other goodies like the power to borrow Kindle books.

Lovefilm Instant previously cost a little under £72 per year (at £5.99 per month), while Amazon Prime cost £49. Amazon is keen to point out that's a saving if you were previously paying for both. As an introductory offer, for the next week you can bag the whole suite of services for a year, for £49.

If you're currently an Amazon Prime member you'll get Prime Instant Video access thrown in for free, up until the point where it's time to renew your annual membership, at which point the price will go up to £79. Amazon told me a streaming-only package will continue to be available, at the same price of £5.99.

The sweeping changes come into action on 26 February. Amazon Prime Instant Video has been up and running in the US for some time now, but is only just making it to the UK. The non-streaming, disc-rental portion of Lovefilm will remain in action.

The shows and movies available will stay the same as they currently are on Lovefilm, so don't expect a huge influx of new programming straight off the bat.

Buying and renting films
Amazon will also be launching its Instant Video store in the UK, meaning that anyone with an Amazon account -- including non-Prime members -- can buy or rent movies and TV shows from Amazon's more-than-50-thousand-strong catalogue. I asked what the typical price of a movie or TV show would be, but was just told that Amazon would have 'the most competitive prices.'

Kindle Fire gets more useful
Until now, Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet has been hampered in the UK, by an inability to download movies for offline viewing. The addition of Instant Video means you'll soon be able to download movies and TV shows to your Amazon tablet.

Prime Instant Video will compete with Netflix for your streaming-video cash. Netflix recently kicked off series two of its acclaimed House of Cards series -- Amazon has vowed to offer customers another round of exclusive pilots, the most popular of which will be made into a fully-fledged show.

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 12:05:40 GMT
Alien Girl says:
My renewal comes up in May, so I'll see how much I use the streaming service, because even though it roughly equates to just over £6 for a month, I don't think Prime will be worth it for the orders I have now. I just don't order as much as I used to, so the extra £30 isn't a good deal for me.
They need to sort a delivery only option.

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 14:58:10 GMT
AndyBSG says:
There's a pretty good summary of what the service is and what the differences are here

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127413-amazon-prime-instant-video-vs-lovefilm-instant-what-s-the-difference#

Posted on 21 Feb 2014, 20:17:38 GMT
B. Odjidja says:
Just ended my Prime renewal, £79 is to much for me at the moment

Posted on 22 Feb 2014, 11:24:02 GMT
Sanchez says:
I renewed in January, so I'll have this service until next jan. I have 4 family members signed up to my prime account and incredibly over a one year period we had 168 orders, so this equates to roughly 50p per order irrespective of the number of items or delivery charges each individual item would be. So it's definitely worth it for us.

Not sure people utilise the family prime (4 members per account), only verification for being a family member is that you need to know your birthdate. Luckily for me I have a big family :)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014, 12:45:45 GMT
couldn't you just cancel your subscription right now then take up the offer at 49 pounds for new subscribers for the first year ?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014, 13:43:31 GMT
RABB says:
No point as if you're already signed up you'll have paid £49 anyway

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014, 15:43:30 GMT
That's a interesting point. Mine updates in September

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014, 17:16:21 GMT
thats exactly what i was thinking, my prime updates in june so if i cancel this subscription before then i should be able to start a new subscription at the first years asking price of 49 pounds surely ?

Posted on 23 Feb 2014, 21:34:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2014, 21:35:17 GMT
PSN: decky87 says:
Off topic a bit but does anyone here use Unblock us for their streaming of Netflix? Im in Canada at the min and was using DNS numbers on my PS3 but plays up a lot and someone said Unblock us fixes all that with more stable DNS numbers. It costs $5 a month for the service

Posted on 23 Feb 2014, 21:42:08 GMT
Sanchez says:
You can use a free VPN to make it look as though you're in the UK. You'll have no issues then.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014, 00:37:36 GMT
PSN: decky87 says:
I wanna access the US content as its got lot more on there than Canada and UK. Was working using free DNS numbers but cuts out a lot recently

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014, 11:24:10 GMT
If you're using Firefox, there's an add-on called Hola Unblocker which allows you to use any site from anywhere. Apparently works well with Netflix etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014, 11:36:51 GMT
Datolite says:
There's one for Chrome too, which is similar, but it's called Hola Better Internet.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014, 12:22:15 GMT
I use unblock US Decky and had no problems with it, well not with the streaming, the only issue I've had is they cancel the standing order every month so I have to pay them manually but that's hardly a major problem.

Plus with Unblock you can download the free app to your phone or tablet which lets you switch regions using that. Plus they do a months free trial I think.

Posted on 25 Feb 2014, 15:09:12 GMT
C Swain says:
What a rip-off - I have no desire to stream video, so effectively they are imposing a 60% price rise when my current subscription ends in September. I have cancelled automatic renewal and sent them a complaint via email.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014, 15:26:55 GMT
RABB says:
Normally I'd mock this sort of post but you're pretty spot on.

On the plus side, I've got Prime at £49 paid up for 11 months, and Amazon have informed me saying it's been streamlined so my Lovefilm payments are automatically being cancelled. No hardship to me but I very much doubt I'll be renewing next year.

Posted on 25 Feb 2014, 17:20:39 GMT
J. E. Cross says:
Great strategy. Lovefilm appeals to people that like digital delivery. Prime appeals to people who like the physical product. How many people really use both? That's why alot are pissed off.

Posted on 25 Feb 2014, 21:59:32 GMT
Wow. Amazon are certainly flaunting their BIG cahonies with this one ha ha.

Don't get me wrong, some will welcome this new service, others wont.

Nobody likes having things forced upon them. There will be a lot of people out there who ONLY want the delivery aspect of Prime. Therefore a little bit of constructive feedback for the Knights of the Amazon roundtable.....

Why not PRIME (£49) for the people who only want the delivery benefits of Prime & then a PRIME+ (£79) service for the folk that want both the delivery benefits and video streaming service ?

Give the people the option, that way you keep all your customers happy.

I would be seriously p'd if the gym I attend emailed me one day and said ''Here by the way, we're increasing your membership from £20 to £50. But don't worry for this £30 extra you can come to our new YOGA classes that you might not be interested in. Oh ye, and If you don't like it, there's no option to opt out of the yoga class bit, you can just cancel the membership fully and that will be the end of it, cheers''.

Having only the £79 option, WILL, and by the looks of things has p'd off a lot of people. Not myself - I'm on a family members Prime (who renewed theirs yesterday at £49), so all good here.

Cahonies, BIG cahonies.

Posted on 25 Feb 2014, 22:14:13 GMT
RABB says:
Very bold decision but I imagine they've got data on how many people use both services, hence the push a few months back to link accounts. So they've probably got a decent amount of people who are happy but by not making Lovefilm and the Kindle library optional (for example I have a Kindle app on my Android tablet so I can't use the lending library) I do think they've shot themselves in the foot here.

As I've said earlier, I have 11 months to make my decision now. Gonna be interesting to see how this evolves.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  21 Feb 2014
Latest post:  27 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers