Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Classic Arcade Machines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Apr 2012, 09:35:33 BST
Solar Fox says:
Does anybody have any memories, of playing some highly addictive, arcade machines?

I remember as a nipper, when after we had been swimming at the local leisure centre, we would play on 'Gauntlet II'. Luckily there was 4 of us, and we each had a control stick. Playing as Barbarian, Elf, Valkyrie and Wizard? fighting off endless, hordes of ghosts and monsters, seemed alot of fun back then.

When I first played Tekken in the arcades, I was wowed by it's in game, 3D models. It was amazing to see Kazuya performing those visually, stunning, looking spinning kicks. I put a fair few coins in that one.

Virtua Fighter 2 had me for a while too. Sarah and Kage were my favourites. The Ridge Racer booths were something special too, despite that annoying guy, that told you to 'Get Going!'. Im sure there was a 'Rave Racer'? but I never saw it come to the consoles. 'Rage Racer' i'm sure was a different track to RaveR.

I kind of got hooked on Time Crisis II aswell. I remember being in Blackpool, with friends and gfriend, and just wondering off to point that gun with recoil, at that big screen. My gf tried to pull me away but I was hooked!

'Terminator 2' had me in the same way, but not as bad as TC2. Then there was that imitation version of T2, called 'Mechanized Attack'. I never forgot the name, because some annoying, dalek sounding, voice would screech it out every 10 secs when no one was playing it. Awful, just like Pit Fighter.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 09:51:52 BST
Playing Thunder Blade (think that was it's name). The military helicopter game were you sat in the cockpit. There was a little arcade at Windsor that had it there for years.

Chase HQ at Butlins. The arcade machine was in the shape of the car. Same for Out Run too.

Playing Tetris at the local burger bar waiting for my order. Then getting food poisioning afterwards.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 09:59:50 BST
G. Hanks says:
I used to love the scrolling beat 'em ups of TNMT, Simpsons, X-men and Final Fight. I've got them all on XBLA now but tend to find that Streets of Rage 2 pulls me away from them as Final Fight is a bit too nails (and frustrating.) The others fair much better if you've got four players in the same room too.

Put a lot of coins into Daytona and Sega Rally, still enjoy playing both of them these days. Time Crisis 2 and House of the Dead got the most play out of the lightgun games. Me and a friend used to be able to get to the final boss in HOTD in a single credit, although could not finish him off without pumping extra coinage in. Whilst The Lost World wasn't the best shooter I loved it for the whole atmosphere and the sit down cabinet.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 10:45:01 BST
AndyBSG says:
I used to live down the amusement arcades when I was younger but a few stand out.

Obvious ones are TMNT and SFII which gobbled a large chunk of money and also Afterburner. The two I really remember though are the X-Men arcade game where you could have up to 6 people playing and I used to kick butt as Colossus.

The other one is N.A.R.C which I had a slight obsession with. Hookers that used to throw syringes and flashers that opened their macs and sprayed petrol bombs everywhere FTW!

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 10:48:54 BST
They had NBA Jam at my local Laser Quest. Good times.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 10:49:59 BST
AstroMonkey says:
Double Dragon was my game of choice, also pumped a fair bit of coin into Sunset Riders when the shows came to town.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 11:12:21 BST
@AstroMonkey... Sunset Riders is an absolute classic. Had it on my snes. The end of level bosses were brilliant.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 11:18:09 BST
Sir Rodders says:
Funnily enough I was looking at Time Crisis Razing Storm for PS3 yesterday but not sure how good it is. My Move unit doesn't get much use so was looking at picking it up cheaply.

Love arcade machines (and pinball machines actually). I may look to try and get a bargain one for my garage.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 11:31:35 BST
J.Yasimoto says:
I go back to the original Space Invaders. Black and white with coloured plastic strips which made your invaders appear to change colour as they got closer to the bottom of the screen.

Also remember the sit-down table games in pubs; Galaga or Galaxians maybe. You would get neck ache bending over the "table" which contained cigarettes, matches and pints of lager. Always a problem when you were shot by an enemy craft hiding under a beer mat. Madness!

And Missile Command was a bit of a novelty with its ball controller.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 11:43:01 BST
G. Hanks says:
"Love arcade machines (and pinball machines actually). I may look to try and get a bargain one for my garage."

I never really played them much except for one year on holiday on the Isle of Wight. They had a Star Trek Next Gen machine and I have to say I was hooked. So much going on, game moved on to the LCD screen at points and it really felt like an experience above and beyond standard pinball.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 12:18:31 BST
Solar Fox says:
I was in an arcade a few weeks ago. They had Silent Scope arcade machine, with the sniper rifle and scope on the cabinet. Best part of it was, if you was good with your sniping, you could win your cash back and more!

Unfortunately, I put £12 in that machine, and won £3. Now imagine that machine in your garage, when you are having a party night. 'Oh i've lost the keys, but there's £200 quid in there! Honest!'. ;-)

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 12:21:54 BST
N. Sanderson says:
Gauntlet 2 ("red wizard is IT!"), King of Dragons, Strider and Operation Wolf got quite a lot of my student money.

I believe Gauntlet 2 is available on the PSN and presumably XBL for a couple of quid? Wish they'd reboot the Gauntlet: Dark Legacy series of PS3/X360!

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 12:22:57 BST
I loved the table arcade football game where you controlled your player by moving a tracking ball around with your hand. Might have been related to Italia 1990. Can't remember its name but absolutely loved it.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 12:27:57 BST
MF says:
Space harrier -- spent many a 10p on that machine --- also came out on the spectrum ... happy days

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2012, 12:31:04 BST
All about Golden Axe for me. Loved that game.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 14:33:38 BST
Sir Rodders says:
***Sad face***

Just Googled second hand pinball machines and they go for in excess of a Grand.

Oh well. I shall return to keeping old fridge freezers, sledges, armachairs, bikes, fireplaces, pushchairs, tents, rucksacks, strange boxes kept from relatives house clearances and half full paint tins in the garage then. Basically, anything but a car for which the garage was intended.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 14:47:10 BST
Robocop
Moonwalker
Double Dragon
Marble Madness
APB - All Points Bulletin
Daytona

I also used to have an addiction to a vertical scrolling shoot-em-up where you controlled a space craft. When you collected power-ups you would sprout wings which became even more powerful guns. all ended with big boss battles. Cant for the life of me remember its name and I've searched before on the tinternet with no luck.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 14:54:46 BST
MF says:
Rodders just get zen pinball -- damn sight cheaper

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 15:08:42 BST
Last edited by the author on 5 Apr 2012, 15:48:42 BST
Sir Rodders says:
Got it Mat, it's good but nothings a substitue for the real thing.

EDIT: not Zen Pinball - I've got Marvel pinball.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 15:32:47 BST
Metal Slug for me.

Went on a school ski trip when I was about 11. Me and a buddy spent €20 each on that damned machine!

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 17:04:36 BST
The Turtles, Final Fight and Two Crude Dudes for me.

I also remember a cafe near where we stayed briefly when I was 7 had a table top Frogger arcade machine it was awesome.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 17:23:53 BST
Solar Fox says:
Gauntlet II, was exciting and fun when I was a nipper. I play it now and I wonder if i'm playing the same game. :-S

Anybody remember Namco's 'Rave Racer' ?

I vaguely remember playing an arcade game, that had me on a side scrolling, martial arts, beat em up. I remember walking on top of a train, and doing some impressive, looking kicks on some baddies. It was 2D. It's not 'Ninja Dragon' either.

Rodders - convert that garage mate. Clear the junk, paint the walls white, and stud and plaster, over your garage door if you don't use it. Voila! Games room.

Arcade machines
Pinball
Pool table
Fruit machine
Nice sound system
Recessed lighting
Fridge with beers

= break from nagging women room. ;-)

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 17:28:18 BST
"I vaguely remember playing an arcade game, that had me on a side scrolling, martial arts, beat em up. I remember walking on top of a train, and doing some impressive, looking kicks on some baddies. It was 2D. It's not 'Ninja Dragon' either. "

Shinobi maybe??

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 17:37:02 BST
Solar Fox says:
No not Shinobi. But I like Shinobi. No it was better known in it's past than today. I keep thinking it was set in the wild west, but then that wouldn't make sense. ? Martial arts game set in the Wild West?..
Hmm..
Possibly.

It may have been 'Rolling Thunder' but i'm still not sure. Grrr..

Posted on 5 Apr 2012, 17:38:45 BST
Hubbard says:
Time Crises was good. Could actually complete that using 50p.

Loved Time Crises 2, Tekken, Simpsons, House Of The Dead, Sniper Scope 2, ect too.

There were other non related games that gave you tickets like Big bertha (Chucking balls in a fat ladies mouth :) ) and a spider stomp game. Those are long gone now though :(

Special mention to TNMT. Never played it but constantly heard the 'TEE-NAGE-MU-TANT-NIN-JA-TUR-TLES!' song every 5 seconds while it was not being used.

Arcade games are too hard nowadays. Basically pay a quid to die on the first level.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  5 Apr 2012
Latest post:  2 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers