Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 305 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2012, 08:37:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2012, 09:12:25 GMT
? says:
Thought I'd start a thread for this, partly due to my excitement and anticipation for this game but also as I'm surprised no ones already started a thread. If medal of honour: borefighter can get its own thread full of eager anticipation then I wonder if that many people on forum even care about halo.

I know it's been discussed on the 360 clan thread but apart from one or two I know getting it it seems to have flown under the radar there too.

So, who's getting it? Who's excited to continue master chiefs story? Who's looking forward to trying Spartan ops?

Can't wait myself. Wish I wasn't so busy at work as I'd bunk off tomorrow lol.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 08:41:44 GMT
RABB says:
I preordered all the way back on Wednesday and it still hasn't been dispatched! Bah.

Very hyped for it all of a sudden, been a bit Amazonised as I was more interested in AC3 and Hitman for most of the year. Forward Unto Dawn has definitely piqued my interest though so I'm looking forward to getting educated in the ways of Legendary mode and MP by the Halo veterans on here.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 08:46:41 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 04:01:05 BST]

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 08:51:37 GMT
I was wondering about a thread too and I am looking forward to this - got my dispatch notice this morning so should be here tomorrow.

Hard to believe that this is the first Halo to feature Master Chief since Halo 3 and I am definately looking forward to how it opens following the end of 3. Not sure which difficulty - I enjoy legendary but like the story to move a pace too so maybe heroic to start.

Never play loads of Halo MP but do play some as it is always fun - especially at the launch of a new game.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 08:55:52 GMT

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 08:58:01 GMT
Trigger says:
Just an 8 from Edge? Can anyone C&P their review for me? They've always been massive Halo fanboys.

Anyway, I am thinking of renting it when it's released - is it tomorrow? I'm not on Live so won't be playing online or co-op, but the Halo campaigns have always had something special for me and I expect #4 will be no different. I just love the combat against these enemies who feel like they genuinely care about their own survival, in these large environments with beautiful vistas, and the vehicles are so well integrated too. There have been a couple of missteps along the way, but on balance Halo ticks more boxes for what I look for in an FPS than any other series.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:01:11 GMT
Can't wait for this! If it arrives tomorrow then I may even work at home on Wednesday!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:04:37 GMT
Bauer says:
I was going to start a thread too as I am interested in Halo 4, after Halo Reach ignited my interest in this franchise.

Rightly or wrongly Halo always bored me, it was just shooting different sized crabs. Then with the near ridiculous levels of hype surrounding Halo 3 I decided to give it ago and i was met by one of the most disappointing games I have played. All these years of Halo this, Halo that and that was my first experience.

I guess most of it was down to just being lost by the story, i didnt have a clue what was going on bar shooting the crabs. I couldnt fathom (and still can't if im honest) why Master Chief was so loved, i found him one of the dullest protoganists ever. I even tried the MP, less said about that the better, jumpy jumpy "your gay" jumpy jumpy repeat.

HOWEVER .. before u all jump on the markdown button like a demented 12 year old.... i will say I may have been wrong to judge it all so harshly.

I have actually started Halo anniversary on my own and paying full attention to the story and im starting to see what all the fuss is about. My intention is to play through them all in an effort to become a full Halo convert.

I was going to start a thread as HALO 4 actually seems to have no hype at all ? so I did wonder what happen to all the fuss?

However it looks like I need not ask, I dont listen to reviews but its hard to ignore them near perfect scores across the board.

The only question now is should i wait to do my full play through, or is Halo 4 a seperate story? i see it has a new enemy?, can i jump in to it straight away do you think?

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:05:35 GMT
The release of Halo 4 is like Christmas for me. There's nothing quite like the anticipation of having a new Halo to play :)

Rather tragically, my copy of Halo 4 turned up on Saturday. What's the problem? Well, for some reason, it required a signature and I was at the gym in the morning. My neighbour kindly signed for it, but left it indoors rather than post it through my letter box. Annoyingly, they went away for the weekend and they get back this morning. Oh well, at least I know I'll have it when I get home and I'm off work to hammer MP.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:08:48 GMT
They 'went away for the weekend', Rich?

They've maxed your game out before you, the swines.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:11:21 GMT
"People that play Halo on Legendary are mental imo, i find it a challenge on Normal lol :P."

I am no gaming sadist either - Legendary is not too bad mate - honestly! It just changes the way you play the game a bit. What I really like about it is how the enemy AI behaves in legendary - baiting you, flanking, hiding etc. Reach was superb played like this.

For me it is best left to a second playthrough though as getting stuck at a particular choke point (the night cam in Reach anyone?) can ruin the flow of the story a bit imo.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:12:57 GMT
It would be amusing if that was they case, but they're really not into games at all. They probably think it's some kind of DVD boxset or something.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:15:41 GMT
Legendary is tough, but it's not unfair. The AI make you work for progression, but you don't get grenade spammed either. Traditionally, Halo is meant to be played on Heroic as this represents a challenge and you begin to see the AI as they're meant to behave. Normal is pointless and you will blitz through the game in 5-7 hours if you play on this difficulty.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:19:42 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:21:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2012, 09:26:59 GMT
Yes - I agree with that and prefer heroic first play solo for that reason. Halo 3 is a good example - you miss so much of what is good in this game by playing on too easy a setting. I remember one area during the long tunnel journey that is just an abondoned beach with a small building in it. On normal you move in - shoot bang kill - and move on. On H or L the design of the open area, various bits of cover, the AI attempting to breach the small hut if you chose to use that for cover - it all really shines.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:21:33 GMT
? says:
Playing halo on legendary is gaming nirvana. It requires the use of carefully worked out tactics as opposed to run in ab and blast everything.

One of the unique things about Halo is the enemy AI. Simply the best I've ever played against in all my years of gaming. The AI actually help to immerse you in the story even more. They will hide and take cover from your shots, work together to draw your fire while others flank you and even run away to try and re charge their shields if you take them down. On legendary its like playing against other humans who can second guess your moves and the AI actually feels like it wants to beat you with skill rather than cheapness.

Anyone can beat a halo game on legendary, you just have to be slow and patient and use tactics as opposed to run and gun.

If anyone wants to add me on their friends list who doesn't already have me on it my gamertag is 'OptimusPrime76'

I'll be playing a fair bit of MP, Spartan ops and campaign.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:23:24 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 04:01:06 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:25:53 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 04:01:06 BST]

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:27:53 GMT
Crixus says:
can not wait to play it, been like a child before christmas for the past week, hope it arrives today or tomorrow morning as I have tuesday and wednesday off. Gonna get addicted to the mp, hope its as good as Halo 3.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:28:23 GMT
"I like the sound of that !, most games just make the enemies kill you with less bullets on the harder difficulty levels, if it actually changes the behavior of your foes, that's pretty amazing from a game play and development stand point."

Halo has always done this; it's one of the many things that Halo excels at.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:48:00 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Nov 2012, 09:48:23 GMT]

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:54:50 GMT
Bauer says:
I can obviously see that this is no. 4 but I have also seen the trailer with the "new enemy theme" to those that have played it do you think it is essential to play 1-3 first to really follow Halo 4 ?

Im just wondering whether to pick this uop or wait until I finish my Halo play through which may take months ; )

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012, 09:57:13 GMT
It's a new story arc, so you could play this without playing the other games, but having an understanding of the Halo universe will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the game.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 09:58:32 GMT
Crixus says:
I don't think it's necessary to play them all, Halo 3 was my first game and I enjoyed that, still haven't played 2, you could just read the story of the games again on wikipedia, that should bring you up to date if your worried you won't get whats going on :)

Posted on 5 Nov 2012, 10:09:25 GMT
Trigger says:
Halo is best experienced on Heroic in my opinion - enemies are very tough and efficient without ever feeling unfair. I've never been good enough to have a solid crack at Legendary, myself. Reach was an excellent game, although I found Heroic a little too punishing so had to dial it back to normal, as I recall.

"Playing the original Halo on launch day was one of the most amazing gaming experiences i have ever had"

Yeah, me too. It was just the combination of the amazing scenery which really made it feel like another planet and the sheer scale of the environment (I love how in outdoor areas you can see the Halo all the way around). It had some ropey levels as well, but the good stuff was so good that it really didn't matter. I think Reach was a better game on balance, but it didn't have the same kind of impact that Halo did, because it was the first just to get so much so right. In a similar way, I'll probably never prefer an RPG to Final Fantasy VII, not necessarily because they won't be better games, but that was one of the first for me and it left the most significant lasting impact.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  305
Initial post:  5 Nov 2012
Latest post:  4 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers