Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk to develop.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2014, 16:29:22 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:28:16 BST]

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:33:03 GMT
so the rest of epic games will make a new ip that's cross-plat and BETTER than gears, like bungie have done with destiny :p

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:36:30 GMT
Bauer says:
I thought everyone was done with Gears of War to be honest, the last one GOW Judgement sort and came and went without much fuss whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2014, 16:37:49 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:28:16 BST]

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:40:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2014, 16:40:44 GMT
I am loving how Microsoft are really diversifying and turning the XB1 into something genuinely new and exciting. With this announcement and the new Halo game I'm overjoyed that MS are really offering the gaming community something truly innovative and ground-breaking. More space marine shooters.

I'm hoping that they can really nail down the next iteration of Warhammer:Space Marine as well for the holy trinity.

Coupled with poorly integrated tv services, a juddering interface, an achievement app that takes longer to load than a Spectrum (someone should start up a thread about that) and a dearth of games then this announcement will really shake up the gaming market.

(Dear PMD, I'm being sarcastic.)

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 16:41:20 GMT
I thought Black Tusk were going to be tasked with creating new IP's for the Xbone. Now it seems they'll be focusing on a tired franchise that probably should have ended with Gears 3.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2014, 16:41:36 GMT
Bauer says:
"Epic are apparently concentrating on engine development now while making a few smaller social games."

I thought Cliff Belinski fancied himself as a bit of rock star of the video game industry. Engine Development? that's not very Rock n Roll is it !

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2014, 16:43:52 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:28:17 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2014, 16:43:59 GMT
Cliffy B left Epic ages ago so it won't have been his decision.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2014, 16:46:45 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:28:26 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2014, 16:49:06 GMT
Bauer says:
Did he? .. arh well that explains it then !

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 18:28:20 GMT
ION CRUCIAL says:
Well considering Gears was the game that I bought an Xbox to play, I welcome the news but I just hope Black Tusk listen to fan feedback, and look to the elements that made the core game great fun to play.

Posted on 27 Jan 2014, 21:43:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2014, 21:45:22 GMT
No surprise MS want to keep hold of a big franchise. Also if the Halo tv series is a winner they can do the same for Gears (MS are changing the console's name to XHBO).

I also thought Black Tusk Studio were being asked to create a new IP. The run in to XB1 launch they were one of the studies being named as people to watch for something new. I suspect I wouldn't feel so irritated by this news if MS had been honest from the start. Also when they quoted numbers of studios working on new IPs at the last E3 I wonder if they were counting Black Tusk Studios.

Is there anybody at Epic since the Chinese company (can't remember name) acquisition. Loads of staff left post acquisition, Cliffy B then left and then so did the company's president (to be a stay at home dad is what I read, lol).

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 00:04:14 GMT
R says:
I enjoyed Judgement in co-op and it had lots of horde type moments in the campaign which made it feel that little bit different from the trilogy. I'm not that excited by another Gears to be honest. I'd defo play it if I had an xbox one but maybe not on release day. And it's doubtful I'd buy an xbox one console because of another gears. Not that into the mp either. Halo though. Love both the sp and mp so I'd be tempted by that. Forza 5 nope. Forza Horizon 2 yep.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2014, 01:19:32 GMT
Well destiny is not out yet, well see.

As a gears fan this is good news the problem with gears was always epic.

Terrible dev and I've had some personal run ins with them back in the day.

If they realise what made gears 1 so good and give us a host free version of gears 1 mp then they'll hit it. If they try to copy where epic tried to go then it will fail.

Epic tacked on the MP in gears 1 and it somehow worked as soon as they thought they knew better they ruined it

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 09:23:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2014, 09:23:34 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 13:04:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2014, 13:15:34 GMT
R says:
I cannot wait for Uncharted 4. I mean I cannot get enough of it. Shame there won't be a Resistance 4. Hopefully after Infamous Second Son there will be an Infamous 4 - oh sorry, I mean Infamous 3. lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2014, 13:12:27 GMT
Sounds good to me

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2014, 13:13:26 GMT
"I also thought Black Tusk Studio were being asked to create a new IP."

The press release when they were formed stated they'd be working on some of Xbox's biggest existing IP's as well as new IP's.

TBH as the studio was formed quite recently to only make games for next gen I'm not surprised they're throwing some existing IP's at them with a quick turnaround so they can get something out while they continue to work on something completely new.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2014, 13:13:58 GMT
Lol uncharted 4 then it will be 5 and then 6

Then resistance 4

Oh wait that's right it's exactly the feeking same isn't it.

Note to will, glass houses lol

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 13:18:32 GMT
ION CRUCIAL says:
I'm sorry Will but isn't ps4 releasing a new uncharted, already had a new killzone..

apples and oranges

I don't see why Gears and Halo, 2 very well loved games on Xbox shouldn't have more versions, if it's crap then we accept that and move on, but what if they're not?

We mostly watch the same crap football teams play each other several times a year, usually with the same results. maybe by this reasoning all teams should be disbanded and new teams formed , because why would you want to watch the same game, in the same stadium, with largely the same players?

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 13:28:28 GMT
As long as the games continue to be enjoyable and fun to play it could be Halo 100 for all I care, as soon as I stop enjoying them I'll stop buying them. And it's not like we're short on quality games so I'd want the studio to make something else, there's already more games coming or already out that I want to play than I have time for.

Posted on 28 Jan 2014, 13:40:35 GMT
Bozz says:
"As long as the games continue to be enjoyable and fun to play it could be Halo 100 for all I care"

Agree completely, they can churn out as many Uncharted's as they want if they can keep the quality up. If they resist going annual with games they should be ok, go annual and the quality drops (i.e COD)

I dont think 3 or 4 games per generation is overkill to be honest

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2014, 13:54:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2014, 14:01:10 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
It's a fine line if you ask me, if a game has a revolving door like CoD they can pump out as many as they want as the series is relevant enough to attract new fans, most people on PS I know have sworn off CoD as they have been playing it for years but it keeps bringing in new players anyway so there money and presence isn't missed.

I myself always get a bit of BF fatigue with every game, this year it came quicker than it has done before. By BF5 I might have had enough and want to play something else but it won't matter as the franchise will keep bringing in new players.

I'm not sure that is the case for Halo and Gears, you will have a dedicated hardcore fanbase but it's not the kind of thing that is going to attract massive player numbers anymore who are going to stick with it if you ask me. The more they churn out the less people will buy them. Excluding the hardcore like Cam I don't think either of these titles will be massive system sellers for MS.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2014, 14:03:38 GMT
Would not say I'm hardcore, definitely had issues with how Gears panned out and for me each sequel had issues, the last one was awful.

Halo I can to quite late, but because I'm invested in the story I love it now.

However Halo MP for me is so far ahead of COD mp it's not even worth comparing.

I too got fed up with COD and I've not bought one since black ops 1.

If a COD 4 beater appears I'll be back though equally if Gears 4 is rubbish I'll likely never buy another one. Halo I just font see them messing it up that badly to make me shun it?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  27 Jan 2014
Latest post:  29 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.