Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

What's Going On At EA?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jan 2014, 11:15:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 11:17:48 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Not sure if it's just coincidence but over the last two weeks some pretty high profile developers have left EA.

Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry - The heads of Criterion who created Need For Speed and Burnout

Chris Byatte and Joe Wee - Founders Of Chillango who published the first Angry Birds

Dave Roberts - Founder of Popcap who created Plants V Zombies, Bejewelled and Peggle.

All of this may just be coincidence but for EA to lose the heads of three of their highest profile studios surely can't be great news...

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 11:30:19 GMT
kinjoking says:
what i dont understand is that everyone bemoans EAs business practises and the way they try and dominate the market, yet everyone still buys their games. absolute nonsense. they only EA game i bought was Mass effect 3 and that was just produced by them they didnt even develop it. so i stand by my convictions and dont buy EA products.

if they cant keep their staff thats their problem, but ALex ward and Fiona have both left to set up their own development studio together, so thats why they left.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 11:35:21 GMT
RABB says:
What I don't understand is why anyone would have a conviction to not buy a particular company's games.

I buy games I like the look of, that's it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 11:41:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 11:42:45 GMT
kinjoking says:
because i dont like the way they mass produce what i consider garbage every year with their franchises, fifa, nba, hockey etc, but also buy independant devs and them working on the same old IPs instead of coming up with new ideas

not to mention their CEOs and heads of operations spout complete trash in their press conferences and are almost as out of touch as the MS bigwigs are

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 11:51:38 GMT
Just to pull you up this - "Mass effect 3 and that was just produced by them they didnt even develop it" - EA are mostly a publisher, they dont develop many games at all, they oversee production and set targets, deadlines and product mandates, but they dont directly develop many games. They give money towards the production which is then done by the likes of Criterion, Visceral, DICE, Bioware, Maxis, Popcap and Mythic. So by people refusing to buy EA games theyre mostly hurting these companies, not EA.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:08:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 12:09:03 GMT
kinjoking says:
i cant get onboard with them or their business practise, cant stand their CEO and refuse to help make him/them money. i was very annoyed when they took on Mass effect, the influence was obvious with the tacked on MP they forced on the game. just because they didnt develop it, their influence on games is there for everyone to see, and i for one dont like it.
how did dead space 3 turn out when EA got their hands on it? it was fine before that from what i understand.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:10:17 GMT
RABB says:
To clarify, has there ever been a game where you've thought "oh that looks quite good" only for you to then notice the EA logo and vow never to buy it?

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:16:55 GMT
kinjoking says:
as far as "vowing", no. but any game with the EA signature i try to stay away from, as i know it will eventually recieve a mountain of useless DLC, micro transactions, season passes and generic gameplay. glad to see they are ditching the season passes now.

yes EA did use to be a development company, you only have to see their history on the megadrive to see that they use to make and sell their own games. as did the majority of companies that have come from that era.

people can go and buy what they want, i just cant like EA anymore, and im rather annoyed that Bioware let themselves get waylaid into letting EA produce their games for them now and telling them how to make something "good". i hope Bethesda doesnt go the same way.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:19:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 12:19:58 GMT
"To clarify, has there ever been a game where you've thought "oh that looks quite good" only for you to then notice the EA logo and vow never to buy it? "

I've never done this for an EA game but I constantly seem to be doing it for Ubisoft games on the PC.
But that's mainly because you have to play most of their games through ubisoft's platform uplay, even if it was bought through steam.
So there have been a few games I wanted to get until I realised that I'd have to deal with uplay, such as anno 2070 and from dust.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to show an example of being put off of buying a game. :)

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:27:58 GMT
dead space has been an EA franchise from the start. dead space 1 was actually one of the few games that was actually developed by EA - EA redwood shores, (which then broke off and became visceral games). but yeah, all the dead space games have been published by EA

and i like the ME3 mp ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:29:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 12:32:31 GMT
kinjoking says:
Ubisoft is another company that altough are still making good games,(except Ac3 and 4 ;p) their use of Uplay with the MP they put in their games is equally frustrating and pointless. i am also cautious when it comes to ubisoft now, which i never used to be as they used to be one of my faviroute companies, because of the Splinter cell series, if it wasnt for that id probably have abandoned them long ago too.

aggghhhh finally got that of fmy chest :D

i might just be getting grumpy in my old age, but im trying to buy less AAA games and more budget games, even if the quality is less, i actually feel like im accomplishing something with my money instead of just handing it over for a generic experience. IMO

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:31:46 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Jan 2014, 12:44:26 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:34:51 GMT
kinjoking says:
do i have a problem with them being succesful? no. bethesda are successful, Crytek are successful, i have no desire to see developers or producers go out of business, i just dont like EA do to their games and i dont like the people who run the company, how is that childish exactly? you have missed the point completely.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:36:48 GMT
i never really got the problem with uplay. of the ubi games i have, it's on AC:B, FC3 and driver:SF, but it's never bothered me in the slightest.....is it something that's more obtrusive on the PC?

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:37:12 GMT
Mr. J. Burns says:
So you don't buy anything on line at all, or use, say... Amazon(?!), since they raid your Cookies folder and advertise on external websites for the types of things you like?

Get off your high-horse, EA might have their downside (eg the 'Pins' on Tiger Woods) but they're a company, a very successful company, and produce a vast number of good games (and bad ones).

I buy FIFA every year because I'm football mad and love the little additions and the new kits/rosters; I don't buy the other sport games but I'm sure the American Football and Hockey nuts love their respective games for the same reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:40:53 GMT
I dont think it was a case of Bioware "going that way", developers need a publisher to fund the production and distribution of their titles, Biowares Mass Effect series started life as a Microsoft Studios production, I'm not sure if you've heard much about them, but theyre apparently not the most hands on and helpful developer, for a company like Lionhead Studios or Bungie, thats fine, they have more than just the creative talent, they also have brilliant direction from inside, but Bioware is mostly a collection of great ideas with no direction, thats why Mass Effect 1 was such a mess (my fav in the series btw) then EA stepped in and bought the developer and pushed them towards greater things, (note that Dragon Age is an EA title). Without the help of a decent publisher, Lucas Arts, Interplay, EA, Bioware is nothing. Lucas Arts helped them with SWTOR, Interplay helped with MDK2, EA with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

I understand the hate for EAs bigwigs, the whole Microtransaction and Online pass stuff is all rubbish, but the best thing to do is just not use them, you cant ignore a game entirely just because its got EA on the box, imagine if people did that with the Battlefield series! Imagine if people refused to buy Kingdoms of Amalur just because its EA, it would have sold even worse than it did!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:42:56 GMT
*cough* Crytek are partnered with EA

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:44:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 13:00:37 GMT
tbf EA aren't the evil big-bads alot of people see them as. they pump out a lot of dross, they insist on devs tacking mp onto games that don't need it, they had online passes etc etc......most of the big publishers have all this. did square enix need to put mp in tomb raider? do the uncharted games need mp? codemasters are bar stewards for cutting out content then re-selling it as dlc. and bethesda can't even put out a game that works until 2 months and 100 patches later. it's the business, and some EA games are epic, and innovative/daring (mirrors edge, KoA etc). EA probs actually take more chances on obscure titles than some of the other big dev companies, (activision for example).

and as for yearly franchises - there's a market. play along with real life, (sport franchises).

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 12:46:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 12:50:27 GMT
kinjoking says:
the madden franchise has gone downhill every year since 2004, the nearest good one they did was possibly in 2009 i think. me and my bro use to be mad Madden and fifa players, but have lost interest in the series as it offers nothing new. EA shut off survers for MP on their old games when other companies keep them open. just strange decisions on their part.

am i bad mouthing anyone who plays and enjoys EAs games? im saying my own opinion and my own reasons. if your happy from what you get out of your gaming then great, but dont be a arrogant fool and tell me to get off my high horse as this is a forum with a topic, and this is part of the discussion so get over it.

do people stay away from Toyota vehicles when they have had so many problems? yes they do. does that mean you want them to fold? no it doesnt. try and distinguish the differences in whats being said bud.

haha@will i know and crysis 3 was a huge regret and it is a terrible game! with a worse MP! couldnt sell it on ebay fast enough! which reinforces my point. wasnt anything wrong with crysis until EA got into it.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:50:47 GMT
Monkey Island was cool..

I also enjoyed The Dig and Indiana Jones.

Not so keen on Loom.

Thanks.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:55:34 GMT
as if anything would go wrong with a toyota? ;)

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:56:59 GMT
kinjoking says:
Will, i also stay away from battlefield. umm has anyone seen the news regarding the complete failings of the game, im sure you have all experienced the horrendous problems it has. not to mention their own shareholders are suing EA for how they went about selling the game in the state it has. its all there on the interweb if people want to read it.

lol phil if you think fifa resmebles real life sport then ...ahem... lol ;p

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 12:59:55 GMT
the club names are the same, the kits are the same, the players faces look fairly realistic, and the aim is the punt a ball into a net at the end of the pitch. REAL.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014, 13:00:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2014, 13:02:01 GMT
Mr. J. Burns says:
I sense a band-wagon here, you don't like FIFA or Madden so it means they're bad games? FIFA has become infinitely better since 2009 with the exception of 12, it was a bit slow (in my opinion).

EA produce a tremendous amount of games and most of them are of high quality; NFS Most Wanted was one of the best driving games I've played and the DLC that was available was huge; the whole airport bit was well worth the extra £8 for admission.

How you can moan at EA for turning off servers is beyond me; why would they run Madden '09 servers when there's about 10 people playing? Codemasters are easily the worst developer for turning off Servers - GRID being the best example.

I get that you, for whatever reason, don't like the company but I just don't get why, they're no worse than numerous other companies but I bet you don't avoid buying from Apple or Samsung?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014, 13:01:47 GMT
G. Hanks says:
"If you don't want to buy a game then don't, it's rather stupid to not buy a game because the company is successful. Childish even."

Not sure if success was the reasoning.

Voting with your wallet is certainly fair enough but I personally wouldn't judge anyone who does or doesn't. Boycotting a game or publisher is a personal choice and whilst it's fair enough to do this it wouldn't be to expect people to either boycott it or not boycott it.

Personally I'd find very little games to play if I started boycotting publishers or devs I had an issue with so I tend to take the RAB approach of just buy what I like.

P.S. Totally get the EA hate, microtransactions could've ruined Fight Night Champion, they certainly left a bitter taste and janked the multiplayer.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  7 Jan 2014
Latest post:  10 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.