Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

First persons shoot 'ems up..

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 137 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2011, 19:36:01 GMT
nephran says:
Is thems gaming market over-saturates with thems FPS...And if so is it impacting on thems amount of new games or choice for thems gamer...

What youses thems thinks..

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011, 19:55:59 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 02:13:05 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011, 20:00:43 GMT
nephran says:
Crikies!!

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 20:02:24 GMT
Meses - I think this issue was covered in the 'don't buy Call of Duty' thread.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 20:08:16 GMT
Heck Meses i'm not your biggest fan and reading your posts does make me wonder if i'm having a stroke, but you certainly did a better job than Lee at creating a discussion.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 20:19:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2011, 20:19:40 GMT
Hmm. Thats fair. I was a bit flippant I suppose as unlike Lee you didn't attack people who do like FPS games and actually asked for the opinions of others.

I feel like I should give a substantive response now, but I only have 5% battery life.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 20:33:48 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
It does make sense that there are so many FPS's since the game makers try and immerse you in the experience as much as they can so its logical that they would want you looking through the eyes of the character. If you're referring to shooty bang bang FPS's there will always be those to cater to new gamers that haven't experienced them before, i imagine as people buy more and more of them they would start to shy away from them and look for something different.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 21:04:00 GMT
Is this person mocking the retarded? If so then it is in very poor taste.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 21:18:54 GMT
nephran says:
Sighses!!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011, 21:33:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2011, 21:34:20 GMT
And if not you have made a particularly hasty judgement based on very little.

I presume you mean Meses? He has a funny way of typing but is ok.

FPS's. There are lots of them but not in my opinion too much. Different FPS's are different games. Cod is not Goldeneye is not Borderlands. Plenty variety out here - my last games bought are Skyrim, AC: Revleations, Battlefield 3, Eufloria and Dark Souls - one out of 5 FPS.

Lets just look at the biggest releases of the last few months, I would consider the following to be the most hyped, most anticipated games of the last 1/4 2011: -

Assassin's Creed Revelations
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Uncharted 3

So out of the latest big releases we have:
2 FPS
3 action/adventure
2 RPG

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 21:38:30 GMT
nephran says:
Thems pretty even...Although how many of 'ems is originals...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011, 21:40:39 GMT
Nick says:
But that has no relevance to the over saturation of the FPS' market debate...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2011, 21:45:36 GMT
nephran says:
OK.Meses can accept thats..

Posted on 13 Dec 2011, 21:51:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2011, 21:51:44 GMT
It doesn't, but the industry has always been sequel heavy, particularly when you get into the late stages of of a console's life span such as we are now. And in general, the sequels are the bigger releases as the fan base has been established by the earlier entries and the flaws have been ironed out.

How many copies did the original COD sell compared to MW3? The first Assassin's Creed was fairly repetitive and flaws. Were Arena and Daggerfall as popular as Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim? Who thinks Uncharted is better than Uncharted 2?

There have been a few original IPs recently, and maybe their sequels will be smash hits. Also, look at the Spike Video Game Awards thread - there are a few original IPs in the works from big developers right now.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 00:44:47 GMT
djburty says:
"Lets just look at the biggest releases of the last few month"
ewok - you seem to have forgotten disgaea 4!!!

nothing wrong with having a range of fps games - obviously certain gamers enjoy them and who am i to say we should all be playing more strategy rpgs. there's more choice of genres now in games then ever before if you look across the full range of platforms - there's even a couple of text adventure games available on PSN :) as i've said before - you need a mix of new ips & sequels and i think the choice is pretty good at the mo.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 07:22:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2011, 07:38:57 GMT
I said it in another thread I just view First Person as a perspective in which we view the gaming environment. The shooter part relates to the nature of a particular game that requires a projectile to be aimed. I can use the reticle in the centre of the screen to aim my arrows, bullets, magic, portal. You can generalise and call them all FPS but I find it meaningless IMHO. Skyrim, Portal, Dead Island, Rage, you could call them all FPS but so what? The tag FPS doesn't define those games.

So maybe your question should be: Is there too much shooting in games? But its sort of the nature of the beast. Its a strong part of its DNA going back to the beginning with games like Asteroids and Defender.

I think the First Person perspective doesn't work for platformers where side-scrolling or maybe 3rd Person works better because usually you need to see where your feet are to time jumps ect. I'm also not a fan of games with a heavy use of melee and complicated blocking and attack moves in 1st Person. So its just down to how the perspective works best for the game.

If the question is: Are there too many "military" shooters? Then personally I feel as if we don't have enough. I'm not saying I want the market to suddenly get flooded with them. But I would like to have a good selection of "quality" first/third person military shooters. There's just not enough first person tactical shooters or games like MAG. I want a bigger choice and personally I think it'll be a good thing and keep franchises like COD on their toes.

"as i've said before - you need a mix of new ips & sequels and i think the choice is pretty good at the mo."

I'm a cups half full kind of person and I completely agree with this in regards to the various types of games out there.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 10:28:43 GMT
L says:
In general I don't play first person shooters. This thread has made me think about why, and I've realised it's not the mechanics or the first-person perspective I don't like about them, it's the fact that they're often set in a military context. I really liked Eledees / Elebits, and that's considered a FPS - but the quirky storyline and design gave me personally the motivation to play through it that military themed games just don't.

Maybe I'm being a stereotype here, but I feel like first person shooters are usually designed to appeal to blokes. Now I don't want my games to be full of unicorns and kittens or anything, but I tend to go for games that are aimed at more of a gender-neutral market.

I wouldn't say there are too many FPS games coming out - considering how popular they are and how much money can be made off them, it's probably more suprising that there aren't even more of them.

But I also don't think FPS *has* to go hand in hand with gritty military themes. There's room for military first person shooters *and* games that employ the characteristics of FPS in completely different ways, imo.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 10:30:45 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
"Now I don't want my games to be full of unicorns"

You've never played Deathspank then? If you play that and then say you don't want to see more unicorns in games I would call you a liar.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011, 10:31:38 GMT
Those unicorns were absolute b*stards to kill, even when you'd reached the games level cap lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011, 10:33:13 GMT
RABB says:
What possible reason would you have for killing a unicorn?

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 10:35:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2011, 10:35:17 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
Rab these unicorns were pretty much modeled on Franco Begbie.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 10:36:41 GMT
L says:
LOL @ AstroMonkey. I haven't played it, but if I get to kill unicorns I'm in.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011, 10:37:03 GMT
RABB says:
I see.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 11:05:16 GMT
Bauer says:
Is there too many Dynasty Warrior games !

Posted on 14 Dec 2011, 11:11:58 GMT
There are far too many FPS games made but I don't think the FP aspect should be toned down, I think developers need to look at other ways of using First Person perspective in other genres, a first person platformer or a strategy game viewed from the eyes of the general.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  137
Initial post:  13 Dec 2011
Latest post:  1 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer