Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

What console best for single player games.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-62 of 62 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014, 16:03:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2014, 16:09:49 GMT
Bauer says:
"but still has the chrome :) "

you sure it's not grey plastic ?

I'm not 100% when the removal of the chrome trim occured ; ) , but my 40GB (the second edition of Ps3's) def didnt have it, just grey plastic.

80 gig grey http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/19/80-gb-ps3-price-drop-active-now/

60 shiny chrome http://birmingham.olx.co.uk/rare-ps3-60gb-console-iid-72580724#

How bored am i ; )

Posted on 17 Jan 2014, 16:07:25 GMT
Bozz says:
They removed the card readers too

I had a 60gb fatty and it was ace, until it died midway through Uncharted 2 on release week.

Posted on 17 Jan 2014, 17:24:25 GMT
yup £425 for release day 60gb. :) lasted about three years. Then died. :(
Now got a 1tb HDD in a slim.

I do miss the card readers, usb ports, but not so much the BC, not as much as I thought I would anyway.
Especially now FFX HD is due for release.
I just wish they'd do a Dark Cloud/Chronicle/Rogue Galaxy HD collection!

Posted on 18 Jan 2014, 16:17:27 GMT
P. Marck says:
I suppose since I was referring to the US PSN then it might not work with PAL PS3 80GB, although if I had an 80GB I'd give it a try.

Posted on 21 Jan 2014, 12:59:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2014, 13:00:57 GMT
N. Sanderson says:
I've not long bought a fully refurbished 60Gb fat one! Had one when they dropped the price to £349 + 2 games (good job I bought one when I did as the following week there were none available!).

Worked fine for 6 years before the dreaded YLOD struck. Bought a super slim but that wasn't the same, especially with the noisy blu-ray drive. :(

So, found a company on eBay (100% positive reviews) that take non-YLOD PS3s, replace the blu-ray laser, replace the 15-blade fan with a more efficient 19-blade and replace all the old, naff thermal paste with some of the new much more efficient stuff. In the end a fully reconditioned 60Gb that has non-intrusive fan noise and no noisy blu-ray drive - plus all the card readers and USB ports you could want.

And yes, the 60Gb was the only one with proper chrome trim! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2014, 14:18:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2014, 14:19:16 GMT
Bauer says:
"especially with the noisy blu-ray drive. :("

I have the 1st slim (after my 40 gb PHAT YLOD'd) and thats got a really noisy blu ray drive too! I have never liked the Slim or the Super Slim. PHAT rules !

"And yes, the 60Gb was the only one with proper chrome trim! :) "

YES !! i knew it ; )

Posted on 21 Jan 2014, 14:54:29 GMT
MajPanik says:
Bauer, my Phat80gb was getting super noisy (to the point it was almost unbearable!) over the last 6 months. Within 5 mins of turning it on it went into hyperdrive. By far and away the best thing I ever did is take it apart and dust it (The warranty had long since expired and I figured it was either wait until it goes bang or give dusting it properly a bash). Over two weeks after dusting and still not a peep from it, its like a new console :)

You'll need - A "star head" screwdriver (there is a proper term for it...? I just bypassed it by burning the plastic round that screw but it's not a course of action I can advise lol), a Phillips, a brush (to dust with obviously) and a cameraphone (take pics as you're removing so you where everything goes back!). Took me two hours but well worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2014, 15:04:40 GMT
Bauer says:
My Phat was ok Maj, right up until the day he died he was silent as mouse.

The Slim i got to replace it tho, ever since it was brand new out of the box sounds like Robocop trying to have sex with R2D2, whenever it loads up anything.

Posted on 21 Jan 2014, 15:38:07 GMT
MajPanik says:
Well I'm outta ideas on that then! Never liked the look of the slims

Posted on 21 Jan 2014, 17:37:07 GMT
Miss D. says:
Just a thought, but if you have issues with your hands at all, you may struggle a little with the PS3 controllers. Unless you have been conditioned by years of dedicated PS gaming, the Dual Shocks are actually not very ergonomic, you would be much better with an XBOX controller, or the very least get a PS3 with a 3rd party pad.

Posted on 22 Jan 2014, 12:28:15 GMT
N. Sanderson says:
I think I described it as lots of loud whirrs and chirps but, Bauer, that's probably the best description I've heard of the (super) slim PS3 blu-ray drive! :)

If you fancy a reconditioned fat one, search eBay for 'stiggytronics'. £180-odd quid was a lot (perhaps?) for a second-hand fat one but hopefully this will last (well, it does come with a 6 month warranty!) until there are enough games to tempt me into getting a PS4.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2014, 21:13:48 GMT
Bauer says:
I can put up with my Slim from now mate, i do have a PS4, so the PS3 will be my secondary console soon (once the PS4 games start flowing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  16 Jan 2014
Latest post:  24 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer