Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Boxing and Ufc Discussion Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 676-700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 17 Mar 2014, 12:09:14 GMT
Odlanier Solis and Tony Thompson meet this weekend in Istanbul (the token WBC International title at stake). I wouldn't mind seeing Wilder matched with the winner. Either of them could bring things to the table that Deontay has not had to deal with thus far. Then, of course, there is the possibility of Wilder versus the winner of Fury/Chisora, although I think the suits may want a world title on the line before making that match, particularly if Fury wins on July 26th.

Posted on 17 Mar 2014, 12:17:24 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
I read that Thompson was offered the wilder fight but turned it down. Its one id like to see as well.

Posted on 17 Mar 2014, 13:03:30 GMT
They may just need to put more dough on the table. If Thompson beats Solis his stock should rise enough to make that feasible.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2014, 14:44:02 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
If we aren't going to see the young guns in with each other I think Thompson is the perfect gate keeper to be honest. HE dismantles Price so lets see what Fury and Chisora do against him the same as Wilder. Saw Eddie Chambers on boxnation this week as well and he looks great, training with Peter Fury now so that's pretty interesting. Will watch that with intrest.

Posted on 17 Mar 2014, 15:05:41 GMT
Bozz says:
Just have no enthusiasm for Fury v Chisora. Seen it before and it will be the same outcome again this time.

I like Fury, hes an entertainer. Chisora is just Meh if you ask me. Would have much prefered to see Fury v Wilder as a final eliminator than this.

Posted on 17 Mar 2014, 16:07:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Mar 2014, 16:27:22 GMT
I don't see Fury vs Wilder happening for a while. Those involved will want to maximise its financial potential and one or both of them will need to have ascended to world championship level to achieve that. Fury made a lasting impression on the American scene last year and fans across the Atlantic are genuinely interested in him. Couple that with the excitement that Wilder's natural knockout power brings to the table and that fight has the potential to be the biggest heavyweight bout financially in well over a decade, but the timing would not be right just yet.

I think Chisora has a decent chance against Fury this time around. Since their first meeting, when Dereck employed a very ill-advised gameplan and came in seriously overweight, he has gained experince at the very highest level against Vitali and David Haye and shown altogether more focus in his recent outings against Malik Scott and Edmund Gerber. Fury, on the other hand, due to the double cancellation of his scheduled meetings with Haye, has had no serious tests since the Cunningham fight which will have been 15 months past by the time July 26th comes around. Granted Chisora looked less tham impressive against Kevin Johnson, but Johnson has made a number of fighters look less tham impressive, Fury included. For me, there are enough question marks to make it intriguing, although I am not expecting a toe-to-toe thrill ride by any stretch.

Posted on 21 Mar 2014, 16:24:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Mar 2014, 13:51:57 GMT
Brian Rose gets a shot at WBO light-middleweight champ Demetrius Andrade on June 14th. No venue has been confirmed as yet but BoxRec are reporting that it will be in the U.S and that Sky Sports will televise. A stateside venue will, in all likelihood, mean that the fight will follow hot on the heels of England's opening World Cup game against Italy in Manaus. Tough assignments all round for the anglos.

Posted on 28 Mar 2014, 13:46:51 GMT
Afternoon all

Been a while since the last post.

Chuffed to bits that Boxnation have picked up both the Pac-man and Mayweather cards. I reckon Khan is going to get destroyed by collazo, is a grossly underated fighter IMO.

Still no news on the undercard fights for the Froch card, i hope Mitchell gets that title shot, maybe get Joshua in there with Audley too in a battle of the olympians.

Posted on 28 Mar 2014, 13:59:24 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
Afternoon lads not about long so I'll just list some stuff.

Cleverly to matchroom, did not see that coming!

Rees V's Buckland 2 is now my 2nd most anticipated fight of the year.

Chavez Jnr V's GGG in June by the looks of it. I hope Chavez makes weight as I wouldn't want to see GGG's legecy stained by that. More and more fighter ignoring the scales as of late. Governing bodies need to do something about it.

Have a good weekend boys.

Posted on 28 Mar 2014, 14:02:03 GMT
Rees vs Buckland 2, wow awesome fight, cant wait for that.

Chavez vs GGG is a great matchup, lets hope it actually happens.

Posted on 31 Mar 2014, 14:04:07 BST
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2014, 20:14:54 BST
Hiya folks

Hate to sound like a major buzzkill merchant but I have my doubts as to Rees's motivation for that rematch. He has made a few too many noises about retirement for my liking. Can see his corner pulling him out after 5 or 6 uncomfortably one-sided rounds.

Golovkin beats Chavez fairly easily for my money. I would much rather GGG took the Geale fight that was being touted only a few weeks back.

Looking forward to some Friday night action this weekend with Frampton vs Cazares. If Carl can win this one in style, a world title shot will be not only assured but also very well deserved. Cazares is an excellent fighter with genuinely big ambitions of his own. He has been to the top and clearly has the desire to get back there.
As for this Saturday's main event, I'm pleased that Maccarinelli is getting a decent payday as a reward for his persistence in the face of numerous career setbacks. However, I cannot see any way of him being particularly competitive against Braehmer and don't envisage the fight going beyond half distance.

Posted on 4 Apr 2014, 21:54:05 BST
Really enjoying Bernard Dunne's work tonight. I am all for as many retired fighters as poss to remain in the sport and those who are not cut out to be trainers can still offer a helluva lot as TV pundits providing they are prepared to speak passionately and forthrightly from personal experience. Bernard's input affords the viewer all of that and then some. This is one of a good few advantages BoxNation has over Sky who have their set roster of pundits that work every show. For BN, Buncey and Lillis have a major say in who they employ in such roles for each card they cover and they will invariably choose exceptionally well, based on where they are and who they're showing.

Posted on 4 Apr 2014, 22:47:12 BST
There are some who will compare the finish of tonight's main event with that of the Dereck Chisora/Malik Scott fight. Such comparison would be wholly inaccurate. Scott actually beat the referee's count. Cazares did not and, what's more, he clearly did not want to. The tell tale signs were in the meal Hugo made of the light tap below the belt a few seconds before the knock down. He had felt Frampton's hand speed and power and simply did not want to know. Terrific performance by Frampton and if he is to land the jackpot that is a fight with Santa Cruz on a major card in Vegas, there can be no question that 'The Jackyl' has well and truly earned it.

Posted on 7 Apr 2014, 09:54:04 BST
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2014, 10:54:35 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 10:09:27 BST
AstroMonkey says:
You've not mentioned his eye or how he was competitive in all 5 rounds fighting even though he looked like this Reccy. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/26908637

I don't think he was outclassed at all. JB was troubled by his power and basically threw two shots then grabbed every chance he got. I'd like to see Enzo given another shot against JB myself as I think it's unfinished business for both of them. Not sure what options JB has and the ball is firmly in his court he got the W after all.

I was disappointed in Cazares, it was just plain dumb on his part and I disagree that he didn't want to know Liquid I believe he still has ambition and the look of shock and disbelief on his face was either real or amazing acting when he realised what had happened. Instead of giving the bravado to Frampton he should've had his mind on more important things like looking at how many fingers Victor Lochlan was holding up. All the same a wins a win and it's off to the states to fight Leo Santa Cruz in what I think is a genuine 50/50 fight. Rigo called Frampton out this weekend as well and said he will come to Belfast to fight him. I appreciate that he is a tremendously skilled boxer and perhaps arguably the P4P no 2 but I'd rather watch Frampton go to war with Santa Cruz than have his head boxed of for 12 rounds against Rigo.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 10:32:41 BST
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2014, 10:54:31 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 10:40:46 BST
AstroMonkey says:
I seen the fight and would say your wrong. Considering Enzo couldn't see him for 4 and a half out of the 5 rounds he was never in any danger of being put away, Enzo hurt him on a number of occasions and never looked bothered by what JB threw at him. Enzo was constantly smothered because JB felt the power and didn't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 10:48:19 BST
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2014, 10:54:26 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 10:51:53 BST
AstroMonkey says:
That was a clash of heads that done that to his face (in the first round) and not a punch. He didn't get battered at all it was just a freak accident.

Posted on 7 Apr 2014, 11:35:41 BST
Bozz says:
Didn't see the fight as Frank Warren and Boxnation refuse to accept that my card details exist and so I cannot get Boxnation. However from what I have read on Twitter from various fighters / pundits Enzo did a decent job for the few rounds it lasted and there seems to be a general feel that a rematch should be made. It was by no means a one sided battering.

Posted on 7 Apr 2014, 12:40:16 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2014, 12:45:19 BST
I thought Maccarinelli was competitive and certainly troubled Braehmer when he landed. Much like his compatriot Colin Jones, who was stopped due to a bad cut against Don Curry back in '85, it was a shame to see what I am certain will be Enzo's last shot at the big one end in such fashion.

If Rigondeaux is serious about coming to Belfast then that fight will be massive. I agree that Santa Cruz vs Frampton is likely to be a far more entertaining affair but should that fall through for any reason then getting Rigo on Carl's home turf is as good a fallback option as any fighter could wish for.

Pacquiao/Bradley II. 5 days and counting. Whatever politics and corruption may cloud the sport of boxing, the incomparable anticipation of two genuine ring greats pitting their skills against each other puts all the negative stuff well and truly in its place. I have no firm idea as to how this one will unfold but I know I can hardly wait to find out.

Sorry to read about your issue with BoxNation Bozz. Hope you can get it sorted before Saturday.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 12:59:29 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2014, 13:00:27 BST
AstroMonkey says:
Can't wait either liquid, we have a big Spring/Summer of fights coming up and this weekends bout is one of the biggest of them all. No idea how it's going to go either.

James DeGale and Hennesy have split at the weekend I heard today. I think theres a fair chance he's going to end up fighting for the WBC title on the Froch Groves undercard against Biko as aMatchroom fighter. Hearn can only get Mitchell a world title eliminator and McDonnell V's Hall can't happen at the moment either, Burns and Brook are out later in the summer so who does that leave as chief support? This is a bill that deserves at least two world title fights.

Posted on 7 Apr 2014, 13:09:29 BST
Bozz says:
"Sorry to read about your issue with BoxNation Bozz. Hope you can get it sorted before Saturday"

I doubt it, tried online and over the phone. Both say my card details are invalid. Ill have a word with the Mrs and use the joint account if not I think.

Ricky Burns has split with his trailer Billy Nelson too, looks like he will be moving to England or going to the States. Probably the right thing to do, he has looked poor for the last 12 months and prehaps needs a fresh start and someone who can look at things differently.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 13:15:38 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2014, 13:15:58 BST
AstroMonkey says:
I didn't know that Bozz. I'd be suprised if he goes to the states for any length of time. Even London seems like a bit far for Burns. Paddy Galagher in Manchester perhaps?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014, 13:18:36 BST
Bozz says:
Theres talk of Tony Sims in London Town or Freddie Roach. Both would suprise me as he has a young family settled in Scotland
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  1451
Initial post:  24 Jan 2013
Latest post:  29 Feb 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer