Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Drake Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

XB1 without Kinect and $400 price possibly by summer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-49 of 49 posts in this discussion
Posted on 14 Feb 2014, 21:31:10 GMT
Wes says:
Dropping kinect camera looks the one way to cut the price of the xboxone by £80. The other and most probably will be a lower spec hard drive. Besides that, they can't do a full product redesign.

Posted on 14 Feb 2014, 22:31:37 GMT
Ness was right, last gen was a one off and it's almost reached an absolute saturation point at 264.5 million consoles sold. Look at the Wii U, it's more than enough evidence that the entire casual gaming crowd that dabbled in console gaming have now moved on to iOS/Android.

This current gen isn't offering any new revolutionary tech like the previous ones such as:

DVD Player
Blu Ray Player
Online Gaming
Online Video Players/Other Online Services
HD/3D Gaming

There is no reason for anyone who isn't a gamer to buy into this gen of games if they can get their fix on their phones or tablets. Microsoft have tried to go after this casual crowd with the kinect and it's US only features, but then why bundle the kinect with consoles outside of the US? They should keep it in the US where it has an actual use but here in the UK why even bother? Why even bother with the ROW consoles?

The should drop the kinect everywhere but the US.

Posted on 15 Feb 2014, 12:05:19 GMT
I agree that the inclusion of the Wii brought in a huge number of casuals and that number will drop away, but I suppose I questioned how much publishers used those numbers when deciding the budget for games like Battlefield or even Destiny. Like when EA/Bioware decided on the budget for TOR, I find it hard to believe they incorporated the numbers of players who play Battlefield. I do recognise Ness's point though that rising costs effect all genres. Do publishers work in a similar way to film studio's where they spread the loss and profit between projects?

I happily admit I'm probably missing something, but was there a large percentage of people (non-gamers) who bought a PS3 because they wanted a Blu-Ray player? Same question for DVD. Everybody I know bought a games console first and foremost as a games console, then the secondary features next.

I still think that when MS and Sony released Kinect/Move they presented them as accessories. I think that created a perception problem. Something that the Wii never had because it was released as a single bit of hardware. Nobody was asking for a Wii without its motion sensors as far as I can remember. IMO I think MS should have killed the Kinect name before XB1 released but included the hardware. It's a little disappointing that MS might be releasing XB1s without it because forgetting the voice stuff just the movement part has massive potential. Not jumping around punching the air, but in just simple movements as an extension of the controller. But that can't be developed for unless the kinect is on every XB1 sold. Maybe none of that would happen, but we'll never know now and that feels IMO that we might be losing out in the long run.

Posted on 15 Feb 2014, 14:28:46 GMT
Kinect is used for security between the Korean borders. I don't particularly think MS are wasting their time with it. Genius move by the NSA too probably.

Posted on 15 Feb 2014, 16:12:16 GMT
Both of their problems aren't helped by the lack of backwards compatibility. Most of us are probably still sitting with a bit of a library of our favourite games from this gen and, speaking for myself, i do like to dust off something (currently the first Bioshock) for another playthrough. We'll lose that unless we decide to keep both a new gen and current gen console and have the hassle of unplugging, wire-crossing, picking up the wrong controller, etc. Who really wants that? I get that the tech may be different, but if i had been giving a list of what i wanted from the next console, making all my current gen games redundant would not have been one, and personally, if this gen did have that option i would already have bought one based on my current library, but now i'm waiting to see who has the best library of exclusives, whose games might drop in price, etc.

Posted on 15 Feb 2014, 16:16:19 GMT
Both of their problems aren't helped by the lack of backwards compatibility. Most of us are probably still sitting with a bit of a library of our favourite games from this gen and, speaking for myself, i do like to dust off something (currently the first Bioshock) for another playthrough. We'll lose that unless we decide to keep both a new gen and current gen console and have the hassle of unplugging, wire-crossing, picking up the wrong controller, etc. Who really wants that? I get that the tech may be different, but if i had been giving a list of what i wanted from the next console, making all my current gen games redundant would not have been one, and personally, if this gen did have that option i would already have bought one based on my current library, but now i'm waiting to see who has the best library of exclusives, whose games might drop in price, etc.

Posted on 17 Feb 2014, 15:04:21 GMT
Bauer says:
This was just a matter of when not if, I made a bet with Lill this would happen in the first 6 months of The Xbox Ones life.

We actually settled on 1st June, which in retrospect was a bit to soon, but I still think not by much .. knowing MS they will do it on 2nd of June ! gits !!!

Even if I lose the bet by a few weeks, I knew it would happen, forcing the Kinect on customers has been a stupid idea.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014, 16:35:14 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:33:36 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014, 16:50:51 GMT
Bauer says:
yeah that Lill tricked me, if they do it this year ill still take the moral victory ! ; )

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014, 17:13:32 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:33:46 BST]

Posted on 17 Feb 2014, 21:05:24 GMT
noblood says:
I don't often agree with Polygon reviews/stories but for once they have got it spot on:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/17/5419464/microsoft-xbox-one-remove-kinect-pack-in

Reading it made me remember how MS forced Windows users into using Internet Explorer, saying it was part of the OS. Nowadays, they can't get away with that.

XB1 with integrated Kinect makes me feel the same way.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014, 08:21:21 GMT
RABB says:
That's not quite right though. It's not as if there's some other Kinect-like technology compatible with the Xbone that Microsoft are trying to prevent people from using. All that happened with the IE thing is that the 'default browser' box popped up to tell people there were other browsers on the market right?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014, 09:18:21 GMT
noblood says:
I suppose what I am saying is that the similarity with Kinect is that MS said that IE was part of the OS and was too difficult to separate when it clearly was just an app.

They killed off Netscape Navigator, then browser market leader, by offering reduced licencing deals to PC manufacturers who opted for the IE OS version, and writing code in the OS to make alternative browsers perform sluggish.

MS said the same about Kinect, except it was poor (comparatively) XB1 sales that made them change their policy, and not a high court judge.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 10:39:20 GMT
R says:
I find it funny how PS4 has a kinect like game in Playroom available from the home screen for everyone to try but for XBO I believe there is nothing that comes bundled with the console for kinect - except for navigating menus.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014, 10:52:39 GMT
noblood says:
"but for XBO I believe there is nothing that comes bundled with the console for kinect"

That would mean giving it away free. Wash your mouth out. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014, 11:00:34 GMT
R says:
I think it shows how ill-prepared MS were when launching the XBO.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 11:50:56 GMT
Xbox Fitness is free for the first year, with a monthly subscription next year.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014, 11:54:34 GMT
R says:
Has that game been available from XBO launch?

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 12:03:35 GMT
Yes, from launch. It's similar to Wii Fit

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2014, 12:07:46 GMT
R says:
Not heard anything about it lol. Oh well, there blows my theory that MS launched XBO with Kinect without any games for it. Still not many though.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 12:19:26 GMT
I agree, that was the only one. I know their have been a few demos for games the use the Kinect. I've only used it as a comms device and making gaming tutorials for sharing to the community like recording a certain section of a game and uploading the clip as a Walkthrough or hints & tips.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 12:37:38 GMT
noblood says:
Fighter Within was also a Kinect launch title but less said about that the better.

I forgot about the Fitness app. Seems strange that they have not advertised it more.

There is Kinect Sports rivals due in April and that Disney Fantasia game planned for release this year.

But they really should have had a killer game at launch, like the Wii had with Wii Sports.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 12:39:55 GMT
They also have D4 coming soon.

Posted on 18 Feb 2014, 22:18:23 GMT
That is hilarious how someone's COD multi name is Xbox Turn Off and every keeps falling for it! Fantastic bit of trolling there.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  14 Feb 2014
Latest post:  18 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.