Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Official Amazon Football Thread - Second Leg

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3651-3675 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 03:18:33 BST
AndrewA says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 03:31:07 BST
Modern Wolf says:
yea AMERICA HAS REAL FOOTBALL!

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 08:55:42 BST
howmuch75 says:
Bugger of yanks this is real football not girls in pads.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012, 09:05:28 BST
AndrewA says:
As opposed to your real man sport where guys fall over screaming in pain everytime they even feel contact? Grow up.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 09:14:29 BST
Mike E says:
I don't really understand what relevance your strange posts have on this thread?

American football is interesting to watch as is the rest of the worlds football

The only sport that is unbearable is baseball, how anyone can watch that is beyond me

Strange how the people I've met here in Hawaii have all been polite and pleasant and yet we have these people who think they're amusing

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 09:33:28 BST
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012, 09:37:15 BST
So the real quarter finals start today. Is it me or has the last two games felt very one sided?

My two theories for the future of the Euros are as follows, one the English team have to go on a baptism of fire, which means beat the Italians 1-0, then the Germans at penalties, then beat the Portuguese with Rooney on the pitch to the end and Ronaldo crying from the eye he winked with. I have to say that one's my favourite. The other is Germany play in order all the countries needing bail-outs or in severe economic debt and beat them . Greece (beat). Italy then Spain. They invariably become hated by those countries and refused anything to do with them financially and the euro collapses. In hundreds of years time when asked why Europe went into the second dark age some teacher will say "There were many factors and economic histrionics but really it was Euro 2012."

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 12:24:47 BST
Trololololol! Argh hahaha the American's are here to troll. Welcome, i'm surprised there is enough space in here for you but none the less, the more the merrier. Of course only Americans would get mixed up between their hands and feet. Also why compare American Football to proper football? Surely we should compare it to Rugby? After all you copied it and attempted to make it your own. In which case get those pads off you sissies.

Yeah Mike the times i've been to America the people have been really nice, but it's because these trolls don't actually leave the house (they can't, unless they have a fork lift on standby) so you don't tend to meet them.

Haha Tetro. I think tonights match will be quite good, unless of course the french try and park the bus but I hope they don't as we've got to watch that display tomorrow. Sigh.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 16:01:29 BST
FV says:
Hello all. I'm one of those Americans from the other VGF. Looking at the first page, I see you guys have collected names and who they support. I'll try and read through the thread and see what people are talking about.

I got into soccer (football) around the 2006 World Cup. My friend was into soccer, so before then I watched some of the Champions League. One side of my family is Italian, so I've rooted for Milan pretty much since I started following soccer. I try to keep up with all the main leagues, but I mainly follow Serie A.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 17:22:04 BST
Steve says:
Your very welcome FV,have you a name to go by? I don't post much here anymore as I have some weird work shifts and studying to do but it does be fairly busy during the week.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 19:48:56 BST
Welcome FV! A Milan fan ey? Great stuff, adds something different to the forum. I'd be impressed if you can get through this thread. And if you do manage it, then perhaps you should go through our first one as well :p Once we get to know you a bit more i'll add you to the threads participant with some info about yourself.

Steve it's good to see you again. Apologies I haven't been on much lately, been busy in the evenings which is the only time I can post now :( Also haven't been able to reply to Aamod which is a shame. I'll have to facebook him.

I see Spain are yet again playing without a striker, is that worse than a back 5? It's like you have no intention of winning the game by more than a dodgy lucky goal. I really wanted Torres to see some action before returning to Chelsea too. How must Llorente feel as well!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012, 20:10:28 BST
AndrewA says:
Hah, I'm actually an English football fan just giving you gents a hard time. Lord know our MLS still pales in comparison to the Premier League.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 20:19:21 BST
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012, 20:19:56 BST
What's great about the sport is that different leagues have different styles. So sure the Premier League is very competitive and physical but countries like Spain play a more technical style. As for the MLS, I admit I have no idea what style you play :p Has Beckham actually made any positive impact on the attraction the sport has in your country?

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 20:40:35 BST
Andrew, if you like football in the UK i'd suggest downloading the Football Weekly (Guardian) podcasts off iTunes. They're doing special Euro ones as well and are highly amusing and very well written.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012, 20:47:36 BST
FV says:
He's not really in the media a lot unless he makes a bicycle kick or scissor kick goal, and then he shows up on the highlights for a day and we never hear about him again. He's just here for money and I'm surprised anyone thought he'd help ignite soccer in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012, 21:13:21 BST
AndrewA says:
It hasn't been a huge impact but I think Beckham coming over did help raise the sport a bit. Henry barely made an indent tho. We've become the retirement home for your old stars. And I don't think anybody knows what style we play here.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012, 23:19:11 BST
Mike E says:
Luke Rodgers surprised me when he went over to NY Red Bulls and did well considering he has spent almost all his career in the 4th tier with a couple in the 3rd over here. Shame he couldn't get his visa extended to stay longer in the country

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 00:23:58 BST
Beckham was purely purchased for publicity, I really don't think America is becoming the retirement league we were all expecting it to be though. Mainly because of China and Russia who now have particularly rich club owners. American clubs will never be able to afford £250,000 week wages on 30 odd year old players. No european clubs can either. Anzhi will have to think twice about the spending now thanks to FFP rules but that's something China don't have to worry about. I dare say Shanghai will be a force to be reckoned with in 10 years time with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi playing for them......

It's a shame that all the American media are into is a tasty bit of skill, I guess they loved Mario attempting his back heel into the net then.

I did expect Beckham to put some much needed attention into the sport over there, what do you think it would take for it to be one of the most popular sports? To be up there with Basketball, Baseball and American Football? It's probably the most technical and intelligent sport in the world. You probably wouldn't think it looking at some of the players.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012, 02:13:25 BST
AndrewA says:
It needs talent. Our most talented athletes play the other sports because that's where the money is. Our college and youth systems also don't raise them right.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 08:48:00 BST
RABB says:
Morning bumders and welcome Yank bumders. Whereabouts are you guys from? I lived in San Diego for a while as a kid before Bush kicked my dad out. Good times.

Bozz, Huddersfield have got Sean Scannel on loan from Palace. He looked quite good from what I saw of him against us in the Carling Cup last year.

Thomas Hitzlsperger is wanted by Everton, Wigan and Fulham after terminating his contract with Wolfsburg.

Charlton and Crystal Palace want to take Manchester United new boy Nick Powell on a season-long loan.

New Swansea boss Michael Laudrup wants to make Brondby midfielder Michael Krohn-Dehli his first signing. (He did look good for Denmark in the Euros I thought)

Non-bumder results from last night:

(Bozz) Blackburn Rovers 0 - 2 Newcastle United
(Dave) Chelsea 2 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
Derby County 1 - 2 Port Vale (Fred)
(Si) West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Tranmere Rovers
Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Stoke City (Stew)
(Chris) Burnley 1 - 1 Southampton
(Bally) Hull City 1 - 3 Southend United
Plymouth Argyle 1 - 1 PORTSMOUTH (Me)
Bradford City 0 - 0 Swindon Town (Lill)

That leaves me two points behind second-placed West Ham, and I've still gotta play them. Southend have been promoted.

Thought people were a bit harsh on France yesterday. Yes Malouda fell asleep for the first goal but apart from that I thought they defended well and actually got forward a lot more than most teams do against Spain. It was just that whenever France did get forward Spain put nine men behind the ball as well and then started to swarm Benzema and Ribery. Thought Debuchy looked good as well as M'Vila though. And Koscielny's come on a lot, hasn't he? If Arsenal can keep him and Vermaelen fit that's a pretty solid defence.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 08:56:56 BST
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2012, 08:57:23 BST
howmuch75 says:
Hay fever, but it's pissing Down here :(

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 09:00:56 BST
France were architects of their own downfall. Spain always play at least 2 banks of 4. The best way to give yourself a chance is to use the width of the pitch. France just kept trying to go through the centre. They didn't trouble Spain at all. I thought they lacked guts and had an ideal opportunity to go at Spain when they visably tired mid-way through the first half. One of the worst games of the tournament, in that both teams had consigned themselves to the end result before the game had started.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 09:04:35 BST
RABB says:
But that completely ignores the start of the second half where Spain were a bit sloppy and France ran the show. It perhaps didn't help that they had no-one to aim a cross at because of the way Benzema plays, although Giroud was supposed to fix that, and I'm not saying Spain weren't deserved winners but France weren't the shambles that ITV and most people I saw on Facebook said they were.

I agree though, it wasn't a brilliant game. A lot of that comes down to Spain being content with the one goal though.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 09:17:37 BST
"But that completely ignores the start of the second half where Spain were a bit sloppy and France ran the show.'

You mean when Spain only had 55% of the possession, against France's 45%?

I was reading Sid Lowe's report on The Guardian website and the hundreds of comments on there are as critical of France's poor showing as they were of Spain's 'boring' style of play. You'd be hard pressed to find a single comment praising France. Go back to last year when England beat Spain, we played with width and used our players to go their strengths. I don't think you could say the same for France - 2 right-backs and still the first goal is crossed from that side, Wouldn't agree with Spain being boring necessarily but do feel that whilst they copy the Barcelona template, they don't go for the jugular in the same way.

Anyway, this is how I felt about last night's game:-
http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/simpsons-explain-soccer/LX4RzIMfZsf03GZpqLs1Bw

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 12:56:07 BST
Here's your sunday rumours gentleman!

Manchester City are ready to discuss a new £52m contract with attacking midfielder David Silva - to fight off interest from Real Madrid.

Winger Gareth Bale, 22, has handed Tottenham a massive boost by deciding to stay at White Hart Lane for at least one more year.

Spurs have made a shock move to sign Liverpool midfield target Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Manchester City have turned their attention to Brazilian Dede, 23, in their bid to bolster their defence as Roberto Mancini has seemingly given up on AC Milan's Thiago Silva.

Luka Modric wants to join Real Madrid

Real have made a shock move to land striker Carlos Tevez - and Manchester City could be ready to sell as they prepare their first bid of £20m for Arsenal striker Robin van Persie.

Danny Murphy will join Blackburn Rovers after the 35-year-old former Liverpool and England midfielder's contract with Fulham expired.

Sweden defender Olof Mellberg has emerged as a surprise summer transfer target for Everton. The 34-year-old former Aston Villa captain is out of contract with Greek champions Olympiakos.

Newcastle striker Leon Best, 25, has been made an offer that he "may find hard to turn down" by Blackburn.

Liverpool and Everton are shaping up for a huge transfer battle, with both clubs tracking Inter Milan striker Luc Castaignos, 19.

Luka Modric, 26, has decided he wants to leave Tottenham to play for Spanish champions Real Madrid. Manchester United and Paris St-Germain have both been chasing Modric, but it seems the Croatia midfielder has set his heart on playing for manager Jose Mourinho.

Modric is also a target for Lokomotiv Moscow after Slaven Bilic's arrival as boss.

Chinese clubs are eyeing Wayne Rooney and other young Premier League stars in a bid to help them conquer the football world.

Fabio Capello has gone "crazy" at suggestions he has been helping Italy prepare for Sunday's Euro 2012 quarter-final showdown against England.

Andre Villas-Boas has two rivals for Spurs job

England cannot afford to wind up Italy hot-head Mario Balotelli - because they are more likely to get themselves sent off, according to coach Gary Neville.

Balotelli has told his Manchester City team-mates and England opponents that he fears none of them ahead of the game in Kiev.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012, 12:56:26 BST
Cerberus says:
As Roy Keane said " Spain made France look like a pub team " harsh but true.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  19 Apr 2012
Latest post:  29 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers