Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

PS3 scratching discs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 May 2012, 13:12:43 BST
bulba.thor says:
I've had my PS3 for a few years, and it seems to have started scratching discs. I watched a DVD which froze, and when I took it out there was a single line across the diameter of the disc (like in this photo - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/024g.jpg/) and around the outer 1-2cm of the disc there was a series of small scratches.

I assumed the problem existed prior to me putting it in the PS3, but this morning I was playing a game which had the same problem when I took it out, albeit to a lesser extent. The line I think will wipe away, so I'm more concerned about the scratching. I keep my PS3 vertical, which I heard can cause scratching, but it's been vertical for three years without a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to resolve it?

(I got the photo from a discussion on a similar problem, but that was resovled by the OP returning because their PS3 was only a week old.)

Posted on 11 May 2012, 13:18:14 BST
? says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 11 May 2012, 13:20:43 BST
Jay Kahy says:
Lay it horizontally and then use the PS3 like normal for a week or so. If the problem still occurs then you'll know it was the optical disc reader / drive.

Posted on 11 May 2012, 13:38:44 BST
? says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 11 May 2012, 13:54:46 BST
Jay Kahy says:
Were you, Wayne? Were you really?....

Posted on 11 May 2012, 13:59:57 BST
Last edited by the author on 11 May 2012, 14:00:17 BST
? says:

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:01:19 BST
Hubbard says:

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:06:52 BST

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:11:20 BST
Hubbard says:

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012, 14:17:39 BST
Even DG_O who has answered the question properly. For shame!

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:21:11 BST
Hubbard says:
They don't call me the PMD for my merciful ways!

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:22:20 BST
i thought my ps3 was battering my discs a little while back - i bought LA Noire new from asda, played it for a few hours and it ground to a halt, so i reset the ps3 and tried again and it almost immedietly stopped working again.

i ejected the disc, and stuck dirt 2 in instead and that stopped working pretty quickly too. i thought my ps3 was buggered, so ejected dirt 2, checked the playing surface and it looked ruined! i gave it a clean and it looked fine.......then checked the LA Noire playing surface......and the same, (but even worse); cleaned it and it was fine.

it turned out there were no scratches at all, and nothing wrong with my ps3 - it was the LA Noire disc i bought NEW from asda was FILTHY! like covered in grease or something. after alot of careful cleaning it came up perfect. only problem was i'd now tranferred some of the muck to the inside of my ps3 and for the next few weeks every disc i put in there came out abit dirty. it all came out in the end and is fine now.......

the moral of the story is this has nothing to do with your ps3 scratching discs, and i have no suggestions :)

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:28:04 BST
Last edited by the author on 11 May 2012, 14:29:56 BST
Would one of the lens cleaning disks help? Not entirely sure how they work tbh - not sure they'd get rid of grease.

EDIT: little tiny brushes apparently > CleanDr Laser Lens Cleaner (PS3)

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:33:38 BST
Mestius says:
those things normally just end up scratching lenses in my experience but im no expert

Posted on 11 May 2012, 14:34:14 BST
Jay Kahy says:
"Even DG_O who has answered the question properly. For shame!"

Disgusting isn't it?

Posted on 12 May 2012, 20:11:15 BST
bulba.thor says:
I put it on it's side and it seems to have eased off, the line across was just smudging so I gave it a clean too... thanks for the advice. And all the negative voting!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  11 May 2012
Latest post:  12 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer