Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Learn more Fitbit
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Any Dreamcast owners/players?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2012, 15:58:40 BST
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2012, 23:09:15 BST
Recently I started playing my DC again. Been playing Resident Evil 2 and Grandia II mainly.

Oh yeah and recently I got F355 Challenge and Metropolis Street Racer (forerunner to Project Gotham) again, both still play very well. Although it did take me a while to re-adjust to the DC's analog stick, which is very sensitive.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012, 16:25:05 BST
I still have one which I play every now and then. Only got 3 games now - power stone (awesome!!), crazy taxi and sonic adventure.

I also recently found my sega saturn, but can't find the memory cartridge now :(

Posted on 31 Mar 2012, 17:44:29 BST
? says:
Yup still got mine. Even picked up the official sega VGA cable a while back which improves the graphics a lot on a hd tv.

Don't play it as much as I should really as it is one of my favourite consoles ever. Still have all my old games, around 50 ish titles.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012, 18:03:02 BST
Leonidas says:
Here I am, a proud retrogamer and owner of many old consoles, including the awesome Dreamcast, in full working order and with many original accessories!

I consumed my eyes on Phantasy Star Online, but the DC has many great games. I don't have many titles (about 20, but most of the best for the DC), but I really love that console.

Recently I have cuddled the idea of a stable retrogaming postation in my home (DC, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Saturn and N64) and now I'm working towards its realization, almost done. The harder part is finding a way for not losing video quality (i.e. managing the scart connections and the uspcaling on my full-hd TV), but I won't ever play again on a CRT, it's just too hard on my eyes.

Now I'm eager to play Guts Rage - Sword of the Berserk, because I love the manga and when I purchased the game I played only the first stages.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012, 18:20:15 BST
Cerberus says:
Yeah still have my Jpn Dreamcast and a load of games, not turned it on in ages though.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012, 20:54:25 BST
G. Hanks says:
Haven't played my DC in yonks but have about 60 odd games for it. Definitely one of my favourite consoles. Really enjoyed Grandia 2, all nighters were had playing through that game. Skies of Arcadia was a superb RPG too. Always enjoyed F355 and MSR as well, thought that F355 made great use of the sensitivity of the analogue stick, really felt like the slightest movement affected the turning. First game I learned Monza as well.

Too many games to list but Crazy Taxi stands out as one of my first favourite big hitters. Used to be able to play the DC only track on arcade mode for 2 hours racking up some fairly major scoreage, cracking game (the sequels never quite recaptured the magic for me.)

Posted on 1 Apr 2012, 13:25:06 BST
Mike E says:
I've never played a Dreamcast and the question I've always had is what does the screen on the controller do?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012, 15:42:37 BST
P. J. Bilbey says:
Hi everyone. I put my DC on the other day :) - In response to your question Mike: it's where the memory units go and the screen shows a picture relating to the game you're playing and at certain times, a mini game is played through it.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012, 16:13:52 BST
The screen in the controller is the VMU, it's a memory card which can also play mini games (it has a D-pad and other buttons built in.) In games like Resident Evil 2 it is used to display info like your characters current health, or move inputs on Shenmue (when learning a new fighting technique).

See this page for more info.

Sega Visual Memory Unit (Dreamcast)

Posted on 1 Apr 2012, 17:23:12 BST
Mike E says:
Ahh thanks to P.J Bilbey and D. A. Tremlett, I've always wondered what it did, very clever

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 12:29:25 BST
G. Hanks says:
The downsides of the VMUs was that they didn't hold much data and didn't power off as soon as the console was turned off for a few minutes draining their already short battery life. I ended up with 9 in total, memory management was a nightmare and they all made an annoying bbeeeeep! once they'd run out of battery and the console was switched on. A bigger official memory card was released in Japan but as per usual Sega-Europe were useless (and hate Europe) so it never came out over here.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 13:23:01 BST
? says:
I thought the VMU's could still function as a pure memory card even with no battery life? Thought if they were plugged in to the joypad they were powered from the console and only required batteries when in the move.

I played my dreamcast all the time and have tons of games and only ever had 2 VMU's.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 14:45:27 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2012, 14:48:40 BST
Wayne is correct, even when the battery is drained, it still functions as a memory card and is powered by the DC's own power supply when slotted into a controller.

I myself use a joytech 4-in-1 memory card, which basically functions as four VMU's in one (no screen or mini game functions mind you, though ) you toggle between them using a little button to save/load, I've had it for almost 10 years and it works brilliantly.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 15:00:40 BST
G. Hanks says:
Aye, the VMU wouldn't kill your memory for sure. I heard mixed reviews about the third party VMUs, some of them were very unstable and had a tendency to lose data. Never trusted 3rd party peripherals and memory cards myself. The high pitched squeal of 8 dead VMUs at the same time when turning the Dreamcast on meant quiet late night stealth games weren't really an option.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 15:24:31 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2012, 15:26:04 BST
Never mind that, the disc drive was pretty loud. Could always tell when big cutscenes/boss battles were coming on DC games due to how loud the disc drive was.

Asides from the memory card, I always use Sega offical stuff, 3rd party controllers are pretty dodgy and the controller ports are a known problem for the DC, so I always used real Sega controllers.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 15:51:49 BST
Cerberus says:
I found the pads triggers were really fragile ( may have been Japanese models only ? ) and went through a few pads before I decided to repair  them using milliput. Only other pad I owned was an asic/capcom 6 button pad in the two rows of three configuration, a must have for the volume of capcom fighters on the machine.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 17:18:21 BST
G. Hanks says:
I never had a problem with pads myself so possibly a first gen jap DC issue? Did anyone have a problem with their video out going caput? I had an issue with mine but a mate had a similar problem and it was just a case of cleaning the connectors. So if any of you get no visual on your TV then do a google and the fix should be easy enough to find.

I got the official arcade stick for Zombie Revenge, not really necessary but felt much more arcadey with it. Some great fighters on that console, loved SNK vs Capcom and Alpha 3, although I really need to get out of the habit of just picking Ken and Ryu and doing the same combos since Streetfighter 2.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 18:25:33 BST
Quake 3 arena on Dreamcast was my first ever experience of online multiplayer gaming

And I couldn't get enough ! Loved it

Even the lag wasn't too bad considering it was dial connection via a 28k modem!!

Posted on 7 Apr 2012, 10:22:48 BST
Started another playthrough on Shenmue due to the awesome news going round that it will be coming to XBLA/PSN soon.

Just at the start of disc 3 now, about to go meet Goro at the Harbour.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012, 17:19:18 BST
Is that really confirmed? any link? I know Jet Set Radio is coming but never knew about Shenmue.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012, 21:44:27 BST
More of a rumour at this point but it seems highly likely. Sega themselves confirmed that Shenmue was remade in HD and has been complete for over a year.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012, 09:51:14 BST
I still fire up the old Dreamcast now and again. Shenmue 1/2 are still very playable in this day and age. Still cant beat the pure gameplay of Powerstone and Soul Calibur.

Also, no other console has as many decent shoot em ups as the DC... Border Down anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012, 11:34:08 BST
Cerberus says:
The 360 has a good list of shumps with this lot off the top of my head.

Deathsmiles
Dodonpatchi
Sine Mora
Ikaruga
Rez HD
Raident Silvergun
Triggerheart Exelica
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
OMEGA FIVE

Posted on 8 Apr 2012, 20:03:23 BST
Wayne i remember you saying you loved the dreamcast, i do as well i have a euro and japanese one and have between 50-100 games for them i love it cause its the sega arcade motherboard basically its got so many good fighters and adventure games and i love sega bass fishing with my fishing controller lol.

Great time for me with the dreamcast, it makes me wish they would give consoles another go because i love sega games as well and i would pre-order now a dreamcast 2.

Posted on 13 May 2012, 16:40:26 BST
I just bought Phantasy Star Online and I'm playing through Headhunter again, am on disc 2 now just completed the AquaDome boss battle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  31 Mar 2012
Latest post:  11 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer