Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

2013 in gaming good/bad?? whats you GOTY?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Dec 2013, 09:02:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Dec 2013, 09:03:40 GMT
Bauer says:
Your*

This will be a year long remembered. It has seen the end of Grayfox; it will soon see the end of the Dooni and the PS3 Generation.

But what has been your GOTY? and feelings on gaming in 2013 ?

It is" The Last of US" for me hands down, it is the best game I have ever played. However there has been a lot of competition, it's been an amazing year IMO

GTA 5
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
COD Ghosts
Battlefield 4
Batman Arkham Origins
Killzone Mercs
Killzone Shadow Fall

There been loads I have just loved, Not to mention PS4 being released.

all in all 2013 is one of fav year for games, even better than 2012, never been a happier gamer !

You ?

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:05:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Dec 2013, 09:07:04 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
Splinter Cell Blacklist for me, loved every minute of it and the variety of ways you could play the levels. the MP was also a really plesant suprise the only issue it had was that nobody bought it on PS3. GTA 5 comes a very close second. TLOU was an amazing story but after playing it once I felt no need to go back and play it again. Really glad I experienced it but it was more of a story than a game for me.

DLC wise this year it's been Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep. It was a massive amount of fun.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:14:52 GMT
For me it was Persona 4 Golden. Absolutely loved every second of it and it's one of the only games that I finished then immediately started a second playthrough.

For new IPs this year it has to be Ni No Kuni. Unfortunately it was released so early in the year most people forget about it by the time GOTY discussions happen. It's a shame because it really breathed new life into the JRPG genre.

Also loved TLOU, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider & even though theres only one episode at the moment The Wolf Among Us.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:20:27 GMT
AndyBSG says:
For me I think 2012 was the best year I've had as a gamer with Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, BF:3, Arkham City, Saints Row 3, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, Far Cry 3, Dishonoured and Witcher 2.

This year the only games which have really been must haves for me are Last Of Us, GTA 5, AC4 and Bioshock.

Not complaining as I think most of the developers had their eye on next gen and I think we've been spoilt to get GTA V and Last Of Us as current gen exclusives this late in the game.... I seem to remember the final year of the original X-Box being a barren wasteland!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2013, 09:23:15 GMT
GTA5 and Online
Bioshosck Infinite and Burial at Sea DLC

Those are my 2 top titles for the 360 this year.

PLayed other good older games, but just 2013

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:27:10 GMT
R says:
It was a great year. My games of the year are, in no particular order: Splinter Cell Blacklist, Tomb Raider, TLOU, State of Decay, Bioshock Infinite, GTA5, Resogun, COD Ghosts. To pick one as the overall game of the year is really tough but it would have to be between: Splinter Cell, TLOU, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. For me it's between Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite, and I have to say I loved Tomb Raider so much it would edge it if someone held a gun to my head. See. I got there in the end :-)

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:28:30 GMT
Bozz says:
TLoU and GTA5 were real standout moments for me.

TLoU is my GotY but any other year and GTA5 would have walked it. Last gen went out with a bang!

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:41:18 GMT
Hillsman says:
With a young family, opportunities for gaming have been extremely limited. But I did manage to complete Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and I thought it was a quite wonderful RPG. Total play time was about 102 hours, but it would take another 20-odd (plus lots of grinding) to get the platinum....which I can't really be bothered with.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 09:42:09 GMT
TLOU knocks every other game into a cocked hat. And that's with the occasionally grating gameplay and controls.

Majestic storyline, shocks used for plot development rather than exploitation, characters you actually cared for, a highly believable game world, superb voice acting, varied and exciting set pieces, resource allocation that called for sensible planning, the best cut-scenes I've ever witnessed, generation-besting graphics and a genuine sense of foreboding doom throughout.

Was a game that made you realise what an adult format this can be. A game to show to the naysayers and disbelievers and the folks that ask you 'when are you going to grow out of games?'. More emotion than a class of 13 year old girls talking about Joey Essex.

Just sublime.

As for the rest, I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite despite the gameplay issues and repetitive nature of some parts. SC:Blacklist is a superb and very under-appreciated game. GTAV was a phenomenal achievement but I was left feeling a little bit cold by it all, but was a return to form after GTA4. Papers Please was a sublime game, graphically basic and not particularly inspiring but with excellent gameplay and constant moralising.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 10:00:57 GMT
Smeg says:
The last of us is my GOTY as well as game of the generation. Other than that I thought Device 6 on IOS was brilliant. GTA 5 was spectacular and I'm hoping a good way to leave the series alone for a while.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 10:25:51 GMT
Can't believe I forgot this as I only started it on Thursday and finished it on Friday but Gone Home was absolutely superb as well. I would say my third favourite gaming experience of the year behind Persona & Ni No Kuni. TLOU would be fourth and Tomb Raider fifth.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 10:39:19 GMT
kinjoking says:
i must agree with Astro, Blacklist was just superlative, the ability to design a game where 3 different playstyles work perfectly was no mean feat and was carried off amazingly well, the soundtrack is excellent also. not a big fan of the new Sam, he talks to much and is too opinionated unlike old Sam, but its a wicked game and must be played to death :)

even though ME3 was released in 2012, the Citadel DLC was the perfect end to what was a perfect game, it was fan service personified and a great thing to be able to play :)

Xcom Enemy within is a way better game than EU, so much more to the combat and levels, still mega hard on Classic difficulty but very enjoyable on normal settings. its a must buy!

i would put TWAU in this, but since there has only been one episode its hard to tell if the whole game would be great but based on the depth of characters, visual style and precept. its certainly worth a shout for most anticipated Game of 2013 for xmas.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2013, 10:44:40 GMT
Only played through Mass Effect 3 once when it first came out so started a second playthrough of it last weekend. Picked up all the DLC as well so can get the full experience. Loving it just as much as first time :)

Completely agree on TWAU if the rest of the episodes are as good as the first I'll be including it in my 2014 GOTY list!

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 10:49:46 GMT
No game has especially let me down - I loved Splinter Cell, enjoyed GTAV, Tomb Raider was short and sweet. On the Fighting Game front Injustice Gods Among Us made a solid touchdown, the HD Soul Calibur 2 was great.

GOTY for me The Last of Us (SLIGHT SPOILER AHEAD) - played the campaign five times and loved every one, the difficulty increases change the game in meaningful ways (not just less health) and you learn new techniques for negotiating sections. A high point was getting through the sewers - at first an impossible scramble - without making a single kill using two broken bottles. The adult themes the game managed to integrate showed what the gaming is capable of taking on - paedophilic rape from the point of view of the child in an emotionally moving non exploitative and thought provoking way. The multi-player was superb imo - the tense survival suspense thriller was a tonic to my usual diet of MP fare.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2013, 10:53:28 GMT
kinjoking says:
whats good about ME3 is that unlike ME2, it gets better when you play it on insanity mode, thats where characters like James, wrex, liara and tali really come into their own, especially James with his Carnage ability, hes unstoppable.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 10:54:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Dec 2013, 10:56:24 GMT
Kurt says:
My top 3 are.

1 - DayZ - Innovative, thought provoking and endless fun. Your stories your own, I feel alot of devs could learn from Rocket and actually use there heads and think of something new instead of spinning out the usual clones.

2 - GTA5 - As a PC gamer, any game that makes me dig out the console and buy a game for it is a worthy contender!

3 - AC4 - The best AC game by far! I love the world Ubi have created and I am yet to complete it. I want to explore every nuck and cranny doing everything I possibly can before I complete which for me is rare.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 11:32:54 GMT
I honestly didn't pick up that many new games this year mostly due to disinterest in them and played older titles I'd missed last year like The Walking Dead

For 2013 though my GOTY would be torn between Tomb Raider (which was just fantastic) and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (which was a hell of a good time)

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 12:24:26 GMT
Bunga says:
Has to be TLOU for me - fantastic from start to finish. That first playthrough is astoundingly good. After that there isn't much incentive to play again as you've already seen what is best about the game, the story. The story actually isn't even that great, at all, it's just told in easily the most cinematic and believable way I've seen in a videogame. Although kudos to Naughty Dog for the ending which is probably a bit of a marmite scenario but I loved it, really brave to end a game simply with a line of dialogue.

Tomb Raider was surprisingly good and I enjoyed it a lot. Only would have wished for more actual tomb raiding rather than the 5 minute asides on offer but hey - it was a sweet reboot of a stagnant franchise.

Bioshock Infinite was also amazing. I didn't enjoy the gameplay all that much (hamstringing the player by allowing only two weapons was a questionable design decision in my book) but the setting was intriguing and Elizabeth (until Ellie came along from TLOU) was the best AI companion I'd seen. I found the ending a bit unsatisfying initially but replaying the game there are so many hints and nods to what's actually going on that it makes that second playthrough even better than the first - very clever stuff.

With all that in mind though, I have to confess to playing Dishonored and the DLC (The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches - both released in 2013) the most this year. This is how to do DLC properly - not arbitrary extra levels to the existing campaign crowbarred into certain points of the original story, instead a novel new outlook running alongside the events of Corvo, awesome gameplay tweaks/features and the best level design I've seen in a long, long time.

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 17:10:42 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:20:56 BST]

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 17:15:51 GMT
Bozz says:
"already considered the best next gen game so far"

When did it come out on PS4 / XB1? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2013, 17:22:39 GMT

Posted on 17 Dec 2013, 17:31:20 GMT
Kurt says:
You can play the next gen version of both Tomb Raider and Blacklist right now.....on PC ;D!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2013, 17:52:53 GMT

Posted on 18 Dec 2013, 08:36:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2013, 08:38:19 GMT
"I really can't wait to play Tomb Raider on PS4 in Jan, according to people on here it really is incredible. I initially wrote it off as a cheap Uncharted clone lol..."

That's what I had done until I played it recently. It's probably just pipped TLOU as my game of the year, partly because I was surprised how good it was whereas I was expecting TLOU to be amazing (which it was).

Bioshock Infinite was a disappointment for me. Sorry but I just don't get the love for this although it does deserve some praise for the story.

Honourable mentions for COD Ghosts. I didn't touch the MP so can't comment on that but the campaign was excellent. One of the best COD campaigns I've played.

It sounds like I could do with picking up SC: Blacklist having looked down this thread.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013, 08:44:40 GMT
kinjoking says:
It sounds like I could do with picking up SC: Blacklist having looked down this thread.

yes yes and double more yes! stealth kill, stealth kill stealth kill and stealth keeeeeeelllll
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  17 Dec 2013
Latest post:  24 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.