Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

cant get my ps4 sound through my home cinema speakers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Posted on 14 Dec 2013, 04:53:00 GMT
Glad it is working. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013, 17:52:37 GMT
daz w says:
Thank you, this helped a lot. Im fully up and running in dts now cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013, 17:51:20 GMT
daz w says:
Cheers, this helped.

Posted on 6 Dec 2013, 08:02:33 GMT
Sanchez says:
I'm not finding the optical out a problem, it's just when you log in the headset isn't initiated so then you have yo pull the USB cable out and reinsert it. It then activates for the current user and works seemlessly. Not seen a problem in NBA at all.

Posted on 6 Dec 2013, 04:21:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2013, 04:23:00 GMT
Also worth noting that the PS4 is having issues with Digital Optical Out causing huge problems for users of 5.1 bitless with the sound sometimes starting to stutter, cut out, echo, and just behave woefully. This will then require either, bizarrely, you to pull an reinsert the HDMI lead, or rebooting the system.

It is worse in certain games too: NBA is allegedly a notable culprit while it has happened to me once on Killzone and once on the home menu. A glance on the Sony forums tells that users who have exchanged their consoles still have the problem, so it is clearly a software issue. Sony, though, have maintained through customer services that it is an unknown problem and, if anything is at fault, it is probably the game causing it (face palm indeed).

So, if you're having this, contact them in the hopes that it will be patched; it is really frustrating.

As to the XB1: to add to C Bird's post it is important to note that the console's optical out does support 5.1 DTS. It is possible your receiver doesn't support 5.1 DTS (currently the optical out only 5.1 option) and you may need to change it to stereo until the patch arrives. Thankfully mine did support DTS and I was surprised to find that it sounded as good as, if not better than, Dolby to me, though I'm sure my ears are to blame. Beyond that: I'd get, then check new leads to make certain it isn't a hardware issue.

Posted on 5 Dec 2013, 21:51:25 GMT
Cheers for the feedback, I'll get on this when I can

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013, 21:43:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2013, 23:59:22 GMT
As i don't have an Xbox one, I might not be much help but if you notice any really high sampling rates with a tickbox next to them that may not be supported by your decoder, it may be those settings causing the issue of crackles and hisses. literally if you can select 5.1 surround and you see 44.1KHz as a sampling rate -select that - de-select any other higher sampling frequencies as sometimes a receiver has a problem with a particular sampling frequency yet can actually go to a higher one,much like some monitors have issues with some resolutions and refresh rates -it should come to life by disabling all the highest settings.
Once you get it going You could move up the list to find the rate that may show you the problematic one and where it cuts off and keep the next nearest.Keep speakers on low volume until you know it's not clicking or making odd noises as a few people have damaged speakers in the past.
It may be your cables as you mention,if its an HDMI type connection but if you have optical on the xbox one it may be the easiest one. to sort out.
According to This article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-21-xbox-one-dolby-digital-headset-support-coming-post-launch
there were only stereo optical outs available, with 5.1 planned as a software update (usually this site has reasonably reliable articles) - so that maybe the problem?
You should still hear stereo via optical cable if the sampling frequency is supported by receiver/decoder.

Posted on 5 Dec 2013, 21:32:07 GMT
I have a Panasonic P50UT50B TV and a Panasonic BTT590 surround sound system. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the surround system working properly. The settings in the XB1 are adjusted for 5.1 surround but it just crackles and hisses. I have 360/PS3/Sky+HD connected to the BTT590 and they work fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I think I might need another hmdi v2.0...

Posted on 5 Dec 2013, 21:20:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2013, 21:34:35 GMT
If you look in settings in the menu of the ps4, you can select HDMI out as audio out or Optical out.
A lot of surround receivers will accept an optical input so if yours has an "optical in"you need an optical cable which carries light (it looks like a red led behind a tiny flap)with encoded sound signals from your playstation to be decoded into multiple channel audio
You then set the ps4 to use optical out as the main audio output and apply the setting and if your reciever supports Dolby 5.1,7.1 or DTS you can select that in the PlayStation 4 menu as your default.
One this is set, any 5.1 OR similar surround signal mastered in games or video/bluray will be split into,left,centre right, rear left and rear right with a sub-woofer feed for certain advanced amplifier/decoders.
More speakers are required for dolby 7.1.
In order to obtain the best possible surround experience some receivers require you to enter the dimensions of the room you are in and the distances between each speaker and your usual sitting distance in relation to them.
Try to spend the time calibrating this just once and saving it as a preset on your receiver as it can make a huge difference to how surround sound performs for you.

It sounds difficult but is as easy as buying an optical cable,plugging one end into the ps4 and telling the ps4 to route sound output optically,selecting the digital input button on your surround receiver that you have plugged your optical lead into and you are up and running.

Some upmarket surround systems accept HDMI inputs and decode digital multichannel surround with that kind of lead, but you have to remember buy another hdmi to plug into the surround system to take the picture signal to your monitor or tv as it passes through the receiver/decoder.

Some High end TV's have the entire dolby digital decoder inside them and have the multichannel amplifiers built in and all you need to do is connect your speakers to such sets. Only needing to connect your optical cable from the ps4 to the optical in of your TV.

Often the power output and dynamic range is far greater on separate surround receivers - some can be relatively small and not much more than £300- 400 yet provide 150w per channel left and right, 70 centre and 50 or so for rear speakers.
Most important speaker to have really excellent midrange is your centre speaker - as all narration will come from it and often the left and right speakers can be drowning the centre speaker if it isn't a good sensitive well rounded one.

One of the best retailers for demonstrating surround in all its glory is richer sounds,they often have a mock up games/cinema room in store with several receivers and speakers on switches so you can compare different systems to suit your taste and budget and then you know the power levels that are most adequate for your home.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013, 20:44:31 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 5 Dec 2013, 20:42:17 GMT
Andy123 says:
HDMI or Optical
If its Optical go to settings,Sound and screen then Audio output settings and change the Primary output port to DIGITAL OUT(OPTICAL)
Or you may need to change the Audio format (Priority) on the same page from PCM to either Dolby or DTS.

Initial post: 5 Dec 2013, 19:06:26 GMT
daz w says:
Does anyone know what settings to use to get the sound running through a home cinema?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  5 Dec 2013
Latest post:  14 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers