Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Rumor: New CoD is set in WW1 with alternate realities, PS4/XB1/PC only

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2014, 08:41:15 BST
Bauer says:
I would argue the COD games exploded with COD 4 (MW1) didn't it ness? previous to COD 4, COD was just MOH little brother, then some bright spark had the idea of making it modern day and woopah !

Posted on 2 May 2014, 17:39:00 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:50:06 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 17:31:41 BST
"which is why they came up with Destiny."

I get your point, but saying they came up with Destiny is a little bit of a stretch. Maybe Activision realise the bubble will burst or maybe not, WW11 games doing worse didn't stop them driving Guitar Hero into the ground. wasn't Neversoft one of the devs for Guitar Hero? Now what has that developer done recently? Oh yeah, COD: Ghost's Extinction Mode.

Supposedly Sledgehammer are concentrating on the SP story, granted that means nothing until we play it because it's just PR hot-air, but if we took them at their word it might be promising. It certainly looks really nice (even for a XB1 trololololo) whether that's actual game footage I didn't see. Can we infer from the trailer a couple of things? Firstly the climbing walls. If that makes it's way into the MP then that strikes me as adding something new. Hover bikes are cool. They also look like soldiers can jump higher/long distances which obviously has Titanfall's Pilot comparisons and might bring a new dimension to CODs MP.

I thought I could be all negative about it, "I'm out", but I'm feeling chipper today. If it's anything like Ghosts I'll almost certainly wont buy as I've barely touched it after finishing the SP and played a handful of hours on the MP (Cod has been my go to FPS MP since COD4).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 16:40:23 BST
R says:
Yep.

Posted on 2 May 2014, 16:25:34 BST
Miss D. says:
I'd love an online multiplayer based on the Samurai! Katanas and Bow and Arrows, that would be awesome.

Posted on 2 May 2014, 16:03:33 BST
How about they just make Timesplitters 4 and allow you to jump between every war, the future, even medieval war so you can blow away knights with your boomstick.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 15:16:26 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2014, 15:16:45 BST
J. Morgan says:
"mmmm Maybe taking away from Modern Day would hurt sales" ?

I would think so, although near future might just be familiar enough while adding something extra.

I enjoyed Sniper Elite 2 which I got in the Easter sale. I'll be getting part 3. Can't see myself getting CoD based on the trailer.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 15:08:04 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2014, 15:08:59 BST
Bauer says:
mmmm Maybe taking away from Modern Day would hurt sales ?

For me I don't really care what the setting is, I just want better game SP wise. Ghosts was move in the right direction, it had a narrative you could follow and have decent characters. Although it was still too Michael Bay/ Roland Emmerich stylee, why does it always need to be the end of the world?

Think of all the great war movies in world, do they have country destroying satellites , or nuclear bombs falling like rain. No, they are about a certain squad or certain operation, why cant we have game that focused?

Imagine a single player that captured the fear and chaos of something like Black Hawk Down, a FPS that explored relationships between soldiers and made you care when your fellow man was suddenly killed.

Or simply Imagine what Naughty Dog could do if they were told to make a FPS modern day military shooter? I guarantee the results would be far closed to Spec-Ops the Line than it would any COD game.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 14:54:05 BST

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 14:51:50 BST
J. Morgan says:
Did World at War do considerably worse?

Worst selling CoD since it went "Modern".

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 14:46:12 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2014, 14:47:48 BST
Bauer says:
"If you look at the sales in the other thread the WWII CoD's did considerably worse. "

Did World at War do considerably worse?

When COD was primarily WW2 era, we where drowning in WW2 FPS Medal of Honor, Brother in Arms etc and online gaming wasn't arguably as big.

COD 4 changed all that .... but now its gone so far that way people are now longing for a more SP focused WW2 setting again.

I don't think a WW2 (or other time period) setting would mean less sales, but I doubt its a risk Activision is willing to take.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 14:31:39 BST
R says:
Have you not seen it?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 14:11:12 BST

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 13:30:49 BST
J. Morgan says:
If you look at the sales in the other thread the WWII CoD's did considerably worse. I'm sure Activision realise that the CoD bubble will pop at some point which is why they came up with Destiny.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014, 12:28:13 BST
R says:
I won't be. I've had my fill.

Posted on 2 May 2014, 12:05:46 BST
Why do I get marked down for posting actual news about the new CoD, but R gets marked up for saying he won't buy again (when he - and many others will buy into it yet again)? :(

Posted on 2 May 2014, 08:31:31 BST
R says:
Not World War One then. Not for me. Think I'll duck out this time - I promise :-).

Posted on 2 May 2014, 07:16:53 BST
http://www.destructoid.com/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-leaked-see-the-first-video-and-images-274126.phtml

The trailer on Dtoid is for the Xbox versions, so looks like it will be cross gen again.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2014, 20:17:52 BST
Nick says:
Well, it has now been confirmed that the trailer will be dropping on Sunday followed by a Gameinformer magazine with it on the cover. That means lots of new details...
Based on what we know it is next gen first but will also be last gen, kind of like Watch Dogs I guess.

First screen: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/01/exclusive-call-of-duty-screen-june-cover.aspx

It looks odd?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2014, 02:51:43 BST
I can't help thinking it's short sighted (Activision not thinking about the long term future of a franchise!!! Never!). It's a dangerous time for them really, this transition between generations, then an influx of new games, and finally games like Destiny and The Division which will have a firm eye on the future and the new hardware. All it needs is a game like Destiny to spark an interest and COD suddenly looks very dated even to the hardcore fans. Then there'll certainly be MP games coming out in a few years encouraged by Destiny or The Division and try something new, something more inventive. At which point COD just looks old.
I'm going to be really curious to see what their sales figures will be if they release a game this November. If E3 drops a load of interesting looking FPSs to be released next year I'd be a little worried for COD.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014, 23:47:31 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:49:56 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014, 23:45:57 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jul 2016, 06:49:56 BST]

Posted on 30 Apr 2014, 20:42:36 BST
Nick says:
Fake: http://kotaku.com/how-a-dumb-gaming-rumor-spreads-1569944698

Posted on 30 Apr 2014, 19:46:46 BST
J. Morgan says:
It sounds an awful lot like Wolfenstein thinking about it.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014, 19:26:10 BST
This sounds a little like wishful thinking. I'd love it to be true btw. The thing I find funny (this isn't aimed at anybody here) is when people in one breath say that COD needs to do something different then in the next say they can't do WW1 because there's not enough machine guns. Personally, no assault rifles, loads of one shot rifles, is a positive.

Totally in fantasy land here, what I don't get though is why they can't push the boat out. Titanfall is good but in reality it's just a little step. Why don't they make a steampunk version of WW1 like seen in a segment of Sucker Punch (the snyder film)? Visually it'd be a step away from previous CODS. Why not add steampowered mechs, nothing like Titanfall size but more like the Tallboys seen in Dishonored?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  30 Apr 2014
Latest post:  6 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.